CYNIC Bandmembers?

J

Jägermeister

Hi there,

I think it would be awesome to involve the band members of CYNIC... I hope that'll be possible!

Well, I think they are from Florida. It should be possible to get in contact with one of them...

I doubt that Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert (ex-Cynic, and from the Death "Human" album) would be enthusiastic about returning to metal - they're in a band called AEON SPOKE (www.aeonspoke.com) now, which is a sort of Coldplay-ish dark & moody alternative band, based in California. I heard they're represented by Eric Grief who used to manage Death, coincidentally. One of their songs was on that Smallville show.

I just checked out Aeon Spoke, and I just have to ask...WHAT THE HELL??? ...Ok, well, it's actually not bad, I like it actually, but the music isn't anything terribly special. Cynic is legendary for a reason, the music just blew people away, and like I said, this new stuff is okay, but it's not even in the same galaxy as Cynic was. Paul and Sean are capable of SO much more!

I've sent an email to them ... I hope they'll reply.

I think people need to realise that musicians don't necessarily stay in the same genre when their careers move on or when they grow older. Paul and Sean are both accomplished session players and their band is becoming successful, apparently, despite differences from what they played/did ten years ago. RE: the tribute, I think they are aware of it, but that doesn't translate to interest. Only they know their feelings towards that part of their life (Human) and they must be respected if they consider it history. www.cynicalsphere.com has a lot of additional information about Paul and Sean, including info on their current careers. Web sites have featured Paul and Sean, claiming that Paul is a successful writer for television soundtracks and Sean is a mastering engineer and also a musician-rep for Spaun Drums.

invocator said:
I think people need to realise that musicians don't necessarily stay in the same genre when their careers move on or when they grow older.
I agree with you. Like I said, Aeon Spoke is good, but it is my opinion that Cynic was far musically superior. I'm not saying they should go back and do something they don't want to do; if they are enjoying what they are doing and are successful at it, good for them. I'm saying they're CAPABLE of better, not that they should do it if they don't want to. :)

;) that's cool - I think Paul and Sean are perfectly happy with looking back at their Cynic (and Death '91-'92) career with pride, while at the same devoted to and loving what they're doing now, as it seems to be about to break in a big way...

well paul is appearing on a metal album, taken from blabbermouth:

Former DEATH/CYNIC Guitarist To Guest On ILLEGIMITATION CD - Mar. 15, 2004

Former DEATH/CYNIC guitarist Paul Masvidal will reportedly make a guest appearance on the debut album from German black/death metallers ILLEGIMITATION. The as-yet-untitled effort will be recorded in August at Mastersound Studio in Fellbach, Germany under the production guidance of Alex Krull (ATROCITY, BELPHEGOR, SINISTER).

if Paul Masvidal, one of the nicest guys in music, says "hi" it is misinterpreted as "sure I'll drop what I'm doing, fly to Germany and play some solos!"

i'm sure the band from Germany sent him a CD and he agreed to listen to it - maybe even to consider further communication - must happen all the time to the guy - but he wouldn't commit to playing on their album - no way

what is it that Chuck used to say: "support music, not rumours"

I've got an email - they replied.

Paul is very busy at the moment ... he has some duties throughout the year. They don't live in Florida anymore.

Eric Grief (who wrote the mail) and Paul wish James all the best and they hope, that the CD will be a success!

nothing wrong with this... but also people should realize that music is music and whatever you enjoy throughout your life is fine and there should be no shame in it. like you still cant like metal or enjoy playing metal because youre "studio session dudes" or have a song on smallville. people sometimes get way too snobby about music and "maturity." this thing is a showing of appreciation to a guy who helped shape them. not saying that have to play on it either way but whatever... pulling this "theyre old and mature now" line is arrogant.

and the coldplay analogy is so far off its silly

invocator said:
I think people need to realise that musicians don't necessarily stay in the same genre when their careers move on or when they grow older.

the point is that paul and sean are very nice guys who have never said a negative word ever about anything or anyone and they're known for being that way - if they are not involved in the death tribute, that's their business. if you look at jagermeister's posting, there is no mention that paul said he wouldn't do it because he's now old and mature, so don't suggest he's arrogant. and the tribute isn't for the man who you claim shaped them - it is for james

you guys must hear the cd from Gordian Knot, there all the guys from Cynic plays fusion that sounds alot like the Cynic sound. It's the project of Sean Malone, he played bass on Focus.

http://www.seanmalone.net/

And ontopic, Sean R also played on Aghora think 2 years ago so he can still play tech metal, maybe he would play if he is asked? Sean M and Sean R are living close to each other, maybe you can ask Sean R through Sean M?

Sean Malone doesn't live near Sean Reinert - Malone lives in Oregon, near former Cynic guitarist Jason Gobel, and Reinert in LA where, as already stated, he is in the band AEON SPOKE with Paul Masvidal. As Sean Reinert is represented by the same dude as Paul Masvidal (see postings above), it seems obvious that Paul's answer from their representative is also Sean's answer: work committments and schedule. It looks as if James has the drumming covered anyway.

invocator said:
Sean Malone doesn't live near Sean Reinert - Malone lives in Oregon, near former Cynic guitarist Jason Gobel, and Reinert in LA where, as already stated, he is in the band AEON SPOKE with Paul Masvidal. As Sean Reinert is represented by the same dude as Paul Masvidal (see postings above), it seems obvious that Paul's answer from their representative is also Sean's answer: work committments and schedule. It looks as if James has the drumming covered anyway.

hhhmmm i red somewhere that they are living close to each other.... but i can be wrong...

simple mistake - Sean Malone and Jason Gobel live in Oregon, whereas Sean Reinert lives right near Paul Masvidal, his bandmate, in LA