Cynic - Traced in Air (2008)

Nope, I've heard only some of the songs when played live by the band, and uploaded to youtube... But friends have been saying its more jazz, less death, which indicates to me that I'll most likely prefer it.

Hm, well, soft jazz, sure, but I'd prefer the free style over the top stuff, which I wouldn't associate with this with. But o well, it's not that I really expected them to go back to the demo days, even though Paul promised "brutal" new material... I guess it is, in comparison to Aeon Spoke :loco:

Haven't heard the leak yet? I'll wait with a final verdict until I have the official CD, but so far it disappoints me. More Portal than Cynic if you ask me, and I'd much rather go back and listen to Cruel Gentility and Pleading For Preservation...
Yea, it's definitely less Death than the last one. It sounds like they took the Cynic technical guitar parts and put them on Portal songs. I personally really like the aspects they included, though. If you didn't like Portal, you'll probably be a little turned off, but it's worth checking out nonetheless. :kickass:

I really like it so far.
Very chill.

Truth be told, if they did Focus 2 rather than a NEW record, I would have been much less satisfied. I fucking love Focus, but it would've been a total cop out.

well from listening to the you tube song here -sounds cool, I like the melodic vocals rather than the Chuck Death(r.i.p.)vocals. Music sounds akin to previous work -
however...............
cant help but notice cover art reminds me of a certain other band we know and love.
hope the new stuff is coming along SA ! you are still the BEST !!
funny note: I have an mp3 player I listen to at work and of the 250 or so songs on it, the shuffle mode mysteriously picks your songs more than any other band. No kidding.

Saw Cynic support Opeath on Thursday Musically amazing but frustrated by lack of stage presence
For me the Focus tracks came across a lot better live, got the CD and will give it a few plays before I form my thoughts

I fucking love Traced In Air, for me, one of the best albums of the year. Anybody bought the Special Edition? I bought it on September, I wish I could have it in my letter-box next week. On Sept 30, Cynic + Opeth + The Ocean!:kickass:

I bought a copy of this today. Then I went to the knife store (chef knives, not stabby knives), purchased a knife, and left the CD there for some obscure reason. I downloaded it some time ago, but I plan to ring them and try to get it back.