Cynic

Winter-frost, you seem like a big Vintersorg-fan. I think it's a great act too, especially the song "Astral and Arcane" is great.

I second that. Cynic is a very strong band ... I am saying that even though I've heard only one song --- How Could I. The band has death vocals mixed in with some electronic ones, while the music is ultra-progressive/fusion-metal .... recommended!

Yea, Cynic are still commonly regarded as the best prog metal acts ever, but I find this a bit of a stretch. Great stuff though, very talented, their drummer is simply not human.

Perhaps a little known fact is that all the lyrics on this album are written with an existentialist slant with a particularly strong tendency towards zen buddhism. Of course, this is not mentioned in the booklet, but it's painfully obvious with such lines as:

"Self is the universe - not separate - the state before the fall into self-consciousness."

and

"Wherever there is other there is fear. " this line inparticular is pure buddhism as it states that the division of self/environment is the cause of fear/suffering, no other philosphies say that.

In the booklet they talk about an ancient group of greek philosphers and such but come on, it's so obviously written entirely in the spirit of zen, I think that greek philosopher stuff is just where they got their name from. Selflessness, as far as I know, is pretty much only a buddhist thing (particularly zen), I've never seen it in any other philosophies but if it is in others then I hope someone will let me know!

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.. as you were.

Satori

Anyone who wants to follow up on the Cynic folks, here ya go:
Sean Reinert (drums) appears on: Death-Human
Gordian KNot-s/t
Aghora-s/t
Sean Malone (bass/stick) app. on: Gordian KNot-s/t
Anomaly-s/t, I think
Aghora-s/t
Paul Masvidal (guitar/vox) : Death- Human

Can't remember what happened to the other guy...

Great band indeed, though I don't know if they are necessarily a band an opeth fan would like. They're very technical, almost mathematical to the point of being complex for complexities sake only. It's not a style that is easy to get into (well, neither is opeth I guess...), and the similarities are few and far between. But if you like your music complex and rather, well, emotionless, Cynic is a great choice.

Satori, I get the impression that you focus on Buddhism mostly because you seem to know a lot more about that religion than you do about Greek philosophy. It's true that Cynicism never became an important philosophical school (such as, for examle, Stoicism), but it's still well-known throughout the Western civilisation, and it was probably as important to Cynic (the band) as Buddhism. I haven't heard the band's music or read their lyrics, but the quotes that you state is good examples of "pure Buddhism" could also be Cynic statements, if interpreted differently.

Originally posted by Demiath
Satori, I get the impression that you focus on Buddhism mostly because you seem to know a lot more about that religion than you do about Greek philosophy. It's true that Cynicism never became an important philosophical school (such as, for examle, Stoicism), but it's still well-known throughout the Western civilisation, and it was probably as important to Cynic (the band) as Buddhism. I haven't heard the band's music or read their lyrics, but the quotes that you state is good examples of "pure Buddhism" could also be Cynic statements, if interpreted differently.

Very cool. Please elaborate on this. I know very little about Cynicism and I would like to know more. How would you interpret the statements I gave in a cynic fashion? To me it just smacks of zen so perfectly and intently that I have a hard time thinking there may actually be another interpretation. Another possibility I thought of is that zen and cynicism could be so much alike that it's hard to differentiate between them. There are some lines on the album that are indicative of philosphical hinduism as well, so maybe it's just a huge mish-mash of ideas which are all just existentialist interpertations of the same things.

Can you provide me with a cynic interpretation of these lines? That would be totally cool,

Satori

Originally posted by Demonspell
I just got into Cynic and Gordian Knot and I think they are amazing musicians...and Sean is very much into Buddhism and Eastern philosophy.

Sean is the most incredible drummer I've ever heard, and I tend to be quite anal about such things, hehe.

Satori