I've been listening to a bunch of songs from Cynic and Death.

Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
A few from Cynic's Focus and a few from Death's Symbolic.

HHHHHHOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like them, a lot. I don't think I could choose between the two either.

Anyway, its nice to see some intelligent death metal! My first death metal band was Opeth.. they were quite a stretch for me, but now they're one of my top 3 favorite bands. The only other death metal I've liked besides Opeth related stuff (Brave Murder Day with Katatonia, Crimson with EoS) is melodic death metal, like Soilwork, In Flames, and Arch Enemy, and a few tracks I've heard from The Haunted if they count. I'm liking "Where Dead Angels Lie" by Dissection now too..

I don't really have a point behind posting this, but I guess I'll ask what other Cynic and Death albums are good if I like the ones I mentioned. I don't want to hear any of Death's earlier stuff, with the horror lyrics shit, or any other band you feel like mentioning that has lyrics like that for that matter. I've heard that Focus is Cynic's only cd though I think.. is this true?

Also, sorry I couldn't comment on the other bands mentioned in the last thread. My computer is seriously 100% full right now, so I'm going to have to wait until I get my 11 cd's in this week or next to download more.

Thanks!

Cynic is awesome. I just got their CD. I forgot about it for a while, and one day i was just like "Oh, i need to buy that" and ordered it that day. (I usually never do this, i put stuff on a list and buy it 3 months later). But if you think you'd like it, you should order it while you can, it's kinda rare. not sure if it's exactly out of print.

Cynic only made one album - Focus...easily in my top 10 and is one of the best metal releases of all time.

Any Death after and including Human are great "tech" death metal releases (they got more technical as time went on). The early stuff is basically death/thrash metal.

Get some Atheist and Gorguts too - although the latter will definetely weird you out until you get used to it...

Well if you like Cynic's "Focus" and Death's "Symbolic", I'd assume you'd love Death's "Human" album. It features Cynic's drummer and one of their guitarrists. Personally my favourite 2 Death albums are "Human" and "Symbolic".

As for other stuff by Cynic... well they have some old demos. Their early demos aren't really that impressive. They were mostly a thrash band back in the late 80's. However, the demo they made for Roadrunner that landed them their deal for "Focus" is amazing.

You can get it from http://www.metalprovider.com/cynic/
*be warned, the site is slow*

I believe I posted this already before, but you must have missed that thread :)

Do yourself a favour and check out those 3 songs from the Roadrunner demo. You won't be dissapointed.

Also, if you are into softer music. Be sure to check out what Cynic recorded after "Focus". It was called Portal, and featured a great female vocalist/pianist (clean vox). I believe you can get one track of this recording from the website I mentioned.

I hope I didn't confuse anyway.

Portal was the name they chose as a band after they recorded "Focus". I didn't mean they recorded another album called "Portal".
It's 90% clean guitars. So keep that in mind when you check it out :)
I still love it tho.

Well I managed to delete enough songs to make room for the Cynic(Portal) song "Circles" and the Death song "Flattening of Emotions" from Human, and both are incredible. Especially Death; I was laying on my bed half asleep and this song literally pulled me out of bed and back into my computer chair head banging.

You know, there are LEGIONs of this kinds of threads here. I think three times a week there is a thread of either "Give me some excellent technical death metal" or "I love Cynic/Death/Atheist." And every time all the same bands are recommended.

Kickass, I was listening to Cynic today too! I haven't listened to Death in a while tough, gonna pop in the Live In Eindhoven DVD and revisit...

BTW Have you checked out Control Denied? They're not death metal, they're kind of like Nevermore, they fucking rule. I hope they continue despite Chuck's death.

Originally posted by MacMoney
You know, there are LEGIONs of this kinds of threads here. I think three times a week there is a thread of either "Give me some excellent technical death metal" or "I love Cynic/Death/Atheist." And every time all the same bands are recommended.

Then go complain in one of those threads.

Originally posted by Powerslave
Kickass, I was listening to Cynic today too! I haven't listened to Death in a while tough, gonna pop in the Live In Eindhoven DVD and revisit...

BTW Have you checked out Control Denied? They're not death metal, they're kind of like Nevermore, they fucking rule. I hope they continue despite Chuck's death.

I LOVE the Nevermore I've heard. I have Dead Heart In A Dead World on the way right now, and I plan to get Dreaming Neon Black on my next buying spree. I will definately check them out when I can.

I ordered Focus on ebay a few weeks ago, and I have to agree with everyone else here. The first time I listened to it, I didn't like it that much. The vocals seemed really strange, especially that whole choir deal. But like good progressive music, it grows on you. I would say I have listened to the whole thing maybe 20 times and now I would rank it in my top ten metal cds. The best track, I think, is _How Could I_, whose finale is absolutely amazing.