Opeth or Edge of Sanity?

The key word here is death. Progressive death metal. You might describe Orchid as epic heavy metal, and Morningrise as progressive folk.... I don't think Opeth truly became Prog death until the MAYH era, and then perfected it with Still Life... It all depends on how you define progressive to begin with. I'm not too familiar with the early EoS work, but the only way Crimson2 could even be considered prog is due to the acoustic passages with clean vocals provided by Swano. The rest could be labeled melodic death, or epic death metal mingled with a touch of heavy metal. I think Camel put it best to describe Prog death - "song within a song" - I know they aren't prog death, but that is the best way to say it. It should feel like you've passed through several musical changes, even entire mood changes, during one song. Like I said, Crimson2 succeeds with the acoustic passages, but there is too much straight-forward parts, and copying/pasting of previously played parts. IMO, that falls into the epic death metal category. I guess you could say Edge of Sanity is the epic death metal equivalent of Transatlantic, except the whole CD is 30 minutes instead of each song. :lol:

Edge of Sanity prog?

hahah....

I think we all can agree that bands like Atheist, Cynic, later-era Pestilence, old Atrocity (ger), demilich, Nocturnus were the first bands to really be known for progressive/technical death metal. but then again...the fuck am I doing with labels anyway. all they do is split us music-heads apart. it's true.

Cynic came before both... and also Atheist, Nocturnus, Pestilence (Testimony Of The Ancients and Spheres), etc., as already mentioned above

I think you can compare Crimson to Orchid & Morningrise. Other than that I see no strong resemblence. Out of these I take Orchid and then Crimson.