EOS - Crimson

fireangel said:
I think the EOS-records without Dan are a bit different, so maybe you should expect the same from them.
The EOS record(no 's') without Dan, Cryptic, is supposed to be a decent album, but lacking the flare that Dan gave to the band. The other albums aren't as progresive as Crimson, so I can see that a lot of Opeth fans wouldn't be as drawn to them. Crimson as my introduction to EoS, and now I love lots of their other stuff. Particularly, I'd say check out Purgatory Afterglow and Unorthodox, amazing albums. Haven't had as much of a chance to listen to The Spectral Sorrows yet, but it's supposed to be great too. Infernal and Nothing But Death Remains are supposed to be good, not great. I really like the rawness of NBDR, but it isn't as mature as what followed.

Also, interestingly, today I read in an interview how much Dan loved Orchid and how it was a large part of what inspired him to do Crimson with Edge of Sanity. Apparently, he loved working with Opeth back then because they didn't follow the rules and conventions of songwriting, and just did what they wanted, what they thought was best. It was nice to read that, coming from my favourite musician about my former favourite band.

Edit: Yea, 100% recommendation for Crimson II! It's not the same as the original, partly because it sounds more modern and partly because the rest of the band was not involved in it, only Dan and some guest musicians. It's a great album, with a lot of the bouncy, insanely catchy riffs similar to other EoS stuff. Dan kept the spirit of EoS alive here, but made it into his own vision of what the band should (could?) have been.

He asked if any other EoS albums are like Crimson and you recommend him Crimson II??? Wtf?
Anyway,I still haven't gotten into Crimson II. It's not an EoS album altogether,just a sequel for the Crimson story.

You should try out Purgatory Afterglow and The Spectral Sorrows.

jester00 said:
lol crimson 2 sounds like crimson 1 and in several instances it even repeats the same riffs.

so tell me why tis a bad answer....

Cause even though the riffs are recycled (as it happens often with concept piece sequels,but you knew that already) the music is way different from the earlier EoS albums.
Even Dan has said that Crimson II is more like a Moontower II than another EoS album,but he wanted to get EoS to work his way once since the other guys already "abused" it with Cryptic. That's just the way I see it anyway and I can't put proper words to it. Just read one of Dan's recent interviews,fireangel's one for example.
Anyway,it's not like the guy asked for recommendation,just if the other stuff is similar to Crimson,so I guess it doesn't matter what album you tell him to listen,I'm just saying that he'll probably like Purgatory Afterglow and The Spectral Sorrows too...

Crimson II sucks ass in comparison to the first. Not a bad album, but I was severely disappointed by it.

Check Royal Carnage for my review. [/shameless plug]

Check out Purgatory Afterglow. The sound is a bit to "chainsaw" like, but, eventually, you'll get into the album. Twilight is among my favorite melodic DM songs.

The Spectral sorrows is a bit too much "project like" with uneven songwriting. Still prety good though. The first two albums are typical early 90s DM and you know Crimson. Infernal and Cryptic are pretty boring albums in my opinion.

And then we have Crimson II. Aweseome album, but still I like the first Crimson a bit more. But check out CII along with moontower for some Swanö magic.