EoS's Crimson vs. MAYH or SL

Which band's concept album(s) is/are superior?

• Edge of Sanity's Crimson

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse and/or Still Life

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
As a concept album, how do you think Crimson compares to Opeth's two amazing concept albums in terms of overall flow and cohesion of parts? How do you think they compare musically? What concept/story is more interesting to you?

I find Still Life's story to be the most interesting, though I enjoy Crimson a lot more lately. As far as flow, Crimson is top notch, by far eclipsing Opeth's concept albums. As far as music, Crimson is much more intense and catchy, as is to be expected of EoS. It still maintains an unprecedented degree of complexity and variety, which is what I find so amazing about it. The heavy/mellow transitions are more abrupt than in Opeth, generally speaking, but I find this keeps the pace up and makes the album more interesting to listen to.

Speak your mind...

Reactions: ffanatic
Mayh and Still Life are both better than Crimson I !

Opeth wins by far,though I think that Crimson I is good. The Still Life story especially is awesome.

Nightingale is where Dan's concept albums shine.

I've been seeing a lot of shit about EoS and Crimson. I personally never heard their music yet. What's the deal with Crimson I and II, 2 seperate albums? And I also read that on one of them it's just one 40 min. song, which I know Mikael sings on. Give me the downlow, and should I get them?

@ deliverance: the two albums are both single songs (the first one is 40 minutes, the 2nd is 43 minutes, and divided into 44 tracks, but it's still one song). They are seperate albums, though the 2nd one continues the story of the first, and contains some of the riffs from the first one also.

Yes, you need to get them (while we all have different opinions on how great (or otherwise ;)) they are, I think most would agree that they are must-hear albums). C1 is, IMO, amazing, and C2 is rapidly catching up to it.

Oh, and as for the poll, I had to go with Crimson ;)

yeah, and after all the good words on the albums, I bought Crimson II this afternoon. I would have gotten Crimson I first, but that was like the only EoS album they didn't have, haha. It's good, but that's only after one listen, I shall listen again tomorrow.