Swano vs Äkerfeldt

Whos work do you prefer? If you can choose.

• Dan Swano

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Mikael Äkerfeldt

Votes: 50 61.0%

• Total voters

Static

Manically depressed robot
May 5, 2002
Wellington, NZ
Visit site
I've wanted to start this thread for a while. I know that Dan Swano and Mikael Äkerfeldt are not even 'rivals' in the real sense of the word. They are friends in truth, but the quality of each of their work warrants a comparison. Moreover I'm starting this discussion to find out who people prefer, even if you think they are just as good as each other. They are both brilliant song writers that is for sure, but Swano has a much greater output and folio of work than Mikael.

My favourite Swano works are Moontower and Crimson. Both are metal masterpiece's. Mikael however has been the instigator of 5 perfect albums, and I find I prefer his growl over Swanos. Äkerfeldt is the master of melody and composition, and Swano is the master of production one of the most consistently brilliant songwriters to ever live. His musical abilities against Mikael's, Mikael is the better songwriter. However, the sheer quantity of Swano's work and their consistent quality show his genius. Perhaps Äkerfeldt takes more time over works, he has produced a lot less but arguably of greater quality than Swano's work. I do think that Crimson is something that even Opeth has never topped though.

I know a comparison of these two unmatched musicians might seem a waste of time for some, but I thought it would be an interesting thing to discuss. In the end I prefer Mikael's stuff over Swanos, but Swano is so consistently brilliant it is a fine line indeed.

This is impossible!! They are both gods!
I was forced to choose Dan because of all the really good stuff
he's made, all the good stuff he produced in his studio and the
fact that I was a fan of his even before Opeth released Orchid.

They are both great musicians and I really can't decide which one I prefer. Just because this is Opeth board, I vote for Åkerfeldt. ;) I've been into Åkerfeldt's music somewhat longer, so he is a safe choice.

Ugh, I have to go with Mike. I feel bad though, because Swano does SO much and has been involved in SO many things. They're both really musical gods.

Originally posted by extensive desolation
You must be fucking crazy to vote on Swano!
He is making something but I'm sure that it's not music.
Crimson, Moontower??? Oh please! That's jus average playing.

You fucking ignorant idiot! period!

i picked mikael (after extensive consideration) because, well,

dan does more, but mike does less and does it better. of course, that's just my opinion.

Damn, that's a tough choice.

In th end I have to go with Dan, though. Mikael is an awesome musician and Opeth are my favorite, but then again, Dan commands slightly more respect from me because of his versatility, and I also enjoy his growls a little more than Mikael's. They are both my favorite, and I can recognize Dan's voice and Mikael's voice anywhere.

But when the two of them get together... DAMN THEY ARE AMAZING! (Crimson, Bloodbath... Am I missing anything?)

People who say "I can' decide" or vote for Swano!!
You are not fucking worthy to listen to Opeth.
Swano is good as a metal musican but comparing him to Akerfeldt
is an insult.

There are people who don't have a slightest musical taste and listen to everything. Some of them listen to Opeth but their poor brains can't even say how good this music is so they compare it with the other crap they listen.

Originally posted by extensive desolation
People who say "I can' decide" or vote for Swano!!
You are not fucking worthy to listen to Opeth.
Swano is good as a metal musican but comparing him to Akerfeldt
is an insult.

There are people who don't have a slightest musical taste and listen to everything. Some of them listen to Opeth but their poor brains can't even say how good this music is so they compare it with the other crap they listen.

you're funny. boy, where was Akerfeld when DAN recorded "Nothing But Dead Remains", "Unorthodox" or "Dawn Of Dreams"??? Mike is great musican, but DAN are greatest musican, vocalist and producer and recorded many fucking great albums. Mike recorded only Opeth, Bloodbath albums and was quest on Katatonia... if i must choice one, i say DAN... and "Spectral Sorrow" is the best death metal album ever. that's it...