Dan Swano to mix the new CD

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
We are proud to announce that we will be utilizing the enormous talent of Dan Swano for the final mix of "The Pale Haunt Departure." Dan Swano needs no introduction, but for those living under a rock for the past decade, Dan has been involved with some of the most influential and important metal bands of the genre. Only to name a few, bands such as Opeth, Katatonia, Dark Funeral, Marduk, Edge of Sanity, and Dissection have all been a part of the Swano legacy. The entire band being long time fans of Swano's, makes this an incredible opportunity for us and we believe this will not only a perfect choice for our music, but a true gift for our fans, as well as fans of Swano's work.

Recording is scheduled to begin on October 9th, and mixing with Dan should begin in late October / early November.

Just to make sure this doesn't turn into a"Neil vs Dan" thing, Dan was not even in the picture, or even talked to until the band decided to not use Neil and explored other options. We talked to 4 different people, 2 of which were people we always wanted to work with, and Dan Swano got the job.

To answer your question, Yes, Neil was available to work with us. The decision was based on factors within the band. Simply put, we decided to try new things this time around.

Oh man now I really can't wait for your new album :yell:

Will you mix it it in Sweden or will he come to you :confused:

well, whatever you decide to do...keep up with the formula you have been working with, it's pretty damn good in my book

neat-0! are you all going to sweeeeden? shows would be a must if so.
you could all bleach your hair and call it the TR00 N0RDIC S00PREMACEE T00R.

seriously, very cool. congrats on another milestone.

oh man. "i can't hear me. more me." X 5 people
or the more confrontational "all i hear is XXXX. can we get rid of that? and more me, please."
i was totally guilty of that. it worked out so much better just letting Chris work by himself. eh, that's one of those things you learn to let go. some people i wouldn't trust by themselves, but as you work with better and better people you just learn to let them do what they're good at.

mr. swano should work out awesome. seems like a lot of people do mixes remotely & have the bands listen by file sharing now.

good luck! i'll be in sunny MEXICO sipping brewskis with umbrellas whilst you toil away in Le STUDIO.
(although the studio is always fun w/ you guys. i still need to find those pics of vito and his dirty nappy nap.)

That "Neil vs Dan" sentiment confuses me sometimes. The band's not the same as it was during the "To Welcome the Fade" sessions. Eric's aka "co-main-songwriter" is gone. In addition to his replacement, Mike joined. Considering this and the time that's elapsed, Novembers Doom is a different band. If they feel the need to try something new, it ought to be fully understandable and not some sort of betrayal.

chupe666 said:
oh man. "i can't hear me. more me." X 5 people
or the more confrontational "all i hear is XXXX. can we get rid of that? and more me, please."
i was totally guilty of that. it worked out so much better just letting Chris work by himself. eh, that's one of those things you learn to let go. some people i wouldn't trust by themselves, but as you work with better and better people you just learn to let them do what they're good at.

mr. swano should work out awesome. seems like a lot of people do mixes remotely & have the bands listen by file sharing now.

good luck! i'll be in sunny MEXICO sipping brewskis with umbrellas whilst you toil away in Le STUDIO.
(although the studio is always fun w/ you guys. i still need to find those pics of vito and his dirty nappy nap.)

Seeing as we'll be locked away in the studio, we were talking about coming to Saint Louie after you get home from Mexico, and just hang out for a weekend. Give me a call, and we can work it all out! We wanted to come out before, and take you out prior to the connection of the ball and chain, (hahaha!) but i'm sure you will be very busy with last minute stuff, and actually we will be as well, with last minute studio preps.

As far as Dan, yeah, we felt that mixing on his own would be best as well. Just makes a better environment for him to work, without all of us sitting there, geeking out over his shoulder. haha

Greg B. said:
That "Neil vs Dan" sentiment confuses me sometimes. The band's not the same as it was during the "To Welcome the Fade" sessions. Eric's aka "co-main-songwriter" is gone. In addition to his replacement, Mike joined. Considering this and the time that's elapsed, Novembers Doom is a different band. If they feel the need to try something new, it ought to be fully understandable and not some sort of betrayal.

Part of this is true. The addition of Vito and Mike, and the loss or Eric has nothing to do with the decision we made. It's been 3 years since we recorded "To Welcome the Fade," and we're not all that different as a band, as the new music is still very much ND. Eric was key in helping to mold the style and sound of the band, and those elements are still very much in the music. It's part of the "sound" of the band.

Also, going a different way with the CD should not be considered a betrayal against Neil. We wanted to work with him again, the band just had other ideas this time around we wanted to try. We never said we wouldn't work with him in the future (if he would work with us again that is.) This wouldn't change even if Eric was still with us, because there are many other key factors that helped in the decision. Friendship, and personal feelings had nothing to do with it. It's really quite simple, and some people will read into it to deeply. If some people see it differently, all I can say is, you're dead wrong.

I didn't mean to imply the new guys changed the whole conception of what a Novembers Doom was. You guys played the old material such that it's clear you're still Novembers Doom. I know what I said was different but at that time, I was typing mostly to stay awake so I could get to a medical appointment and find out my provider lied about when my insurance lapsed.

I just wanted to poke my head around the door to let everyone know that I'm just fine with Novembers Doom's decision to work with Dan. I'm a huge fan of Dan myself, so I'm sure he'll do a great job. I'm of course a bit disappointed to not get an opportunity to work with the band again, but that's the way it goes sometimes :)

All artists need to try new things and allow their music to grow. I'm glad I at least had the opportunity to contribute to "To Welcome The Fade", and I very much look forward to hearing the new album.

I wish the best of luck to Paul and the guys!!

Neil K.

DAN SWANO!!!! oh my oh my.... is the new album out yet? is the new album out yet? is the new album out yet? is the new album out yet? is the new album out yet? is the new album out yet? is the new album out yet? .... ???

Great news!
Not that you guys in ND need it or anything... but everything this man touches, becomes a masterpiece! Can't wait to hear it! :kickass:

We're in the final stages of preparing to go in and start recording (just barely a month away now) and things are sounding really good. We're all very eager to get this started and everyone in the band is feeling very good about all the material so far. We hope you all feel as good about it as we do when it finally comes out!

And yes we're quite eager to see what Dan does with the album as well, having been fans of his for so long. I've wanted to work with him since my Dead Serenade days so this is quite a pleasant surprise for me.