D'addario lacks some useful gauges

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
I've a Schecter C1 tuned to C. I had a set of 13-62 D'addario but it's a little heavy for C (the 6th string was intonate correctly but it was very near the limit, the bending was a little difficult and the trills (a la cannibal corpse) was hard) so I try a set of 12-54. It works very well, expecially the first 3 strings (perfect for bending and solos) but the other 3 strings are a little loose and I would like some heavier strings.
The ideal set shoud be an hybrid one like 12-16-20 (12-54 first 3 strings) 36-46-59 (10-59 7string set last 3 strings) but it doesn't exist :\
I think D'addario have some useless gauges and lacks useful gauges. There are many many 10's set and only one 12's...There are many tuning between standard E and standard B...it's a little restrictive to have 8 "10" sets, 1 "12" set, 2 "13" sets and 2 "11" sets..
I could buy the strings separately but it's so difficult to find the right strings. Here in Italy one set costs 10€...if you buy the same set but with separate strings it costs 12-13€...very logic :Smug:
Do you have some advice? I think that for C tuning (for my taste) the ideal gauge is the 12 one but with the last 3 strings heavier than 54...
Anyone of you have the same problem?

Yeah it's a way to go but the point is that there is a lack of useful gauges...it's so sad because D'addario is my favourite brand..
Another solution is to buy some sets with separate strings from a local guitar tech (he is very cheap for single strings)

You can't get a 62 to intonate in C?
I use a 70, and I can get it to intonate fine, from C down to A

Edit- Ah NM, I see that you said you could get it to intonate, just feels too big....

Why not try some other brands with the gauges you are looking for? I know that's not easy, the whole brand loyalty thing is hard to break.

Because I like the 12's feeling for the first 3 strings and the last 3 string bigger than a 54...
Anyway...I would try the D'addario 11-59 without the 11 (13-59) or separate strings if I can find a good price..
Wolfeman, which Gauge do you use if you tune to C? 70 is exagerated for C...are you a Troll with enormous hands? :D

i used to be very specific about which strings i would use. i swore buy dr's in my first band, but i kept breaking the strings, or they would come unwound(and at that point i didnt know my floyd was to blame) so i figured the strings sucked and picked up a set of ghs boomers. i will occasionally switch over to d'addario, but i favor the ghs now, they seem to have a brighter tone to me....

so i offer you this, because i am a believer.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GHSGB7M

they have 2 sets of 7 string packages. give one of them a shot, and if you cant handle them, i will personally repay you for misleading you. and im dead serious.

let me know what you think.

I'm more annoyed by the lack of useful gauges between 70 and 100, as bass strings are much more expensive than they need to be.

There has to be someone near you that sells singles, just go that route and make your own custom set.

Jeff

the problem is: if I buy a set from a shop I pay 10€....if I buy the same set with same gauges but with separate single strings, I pay it 13/14€.
Very annoying..