Calculating string-gauges ... I don't get it

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys!

Can somebody please help me calculating corresponding string-gauges?

I used to use a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Set (.10, .13, .17, .36, .52, .60) for C#-Standard-Tuning (on a 25,5-neck).

Now I started a new project and we're going to tune to Drop-A (AND B-Standard for some songs). The Dunlop-Set is kind of okay for B-Standard, but the .60 tuned to A is horrible. I'm perfectly fine with the high strings beeing relatively "slack", but the bass-strings have to be pretty tense.

So, whats the equivalent string-gauge for A, when I loved the .60 on C# and am okay with it on B?

I downloaded the D'addario tension-guide, but ... well ... I'm not good with numbers and so I don't get it :D

hmm... for my ibanez rg350ex (if I remember right it is also 25,5 neck) .11 - .54 is ideal for drop A - high string is right tension and also same for low string. Also next thickness got too much tension on higher strings and ruin bending.
So I think that string gouge compatibility depends on guitar.

i am curiuos too. just installed new strings in my eclipse. i used not even slinky by ernieball. its 012-0.60
it horrible to play solos, can someone get used to it? or shall i just stick lower gauge?

Wow ... I play .52's tuned to E, man - I cannot imagine, how loose a .54 at A must be *haha*

I don't think the guitar itself has that much impact on string-tension. This is a pure physical/mathematical thing. The neck is 25.5" long -> string-tension is XY kg (or whatever string-tension is measured in).

I like this calc: http://humanoid.ahmala.fi/software/

I use D'addario 12-54 for Drop B on my PRS 25". When i tune to Drop C with that strings bending is almost impossible and last time the high strings broke :D
And i had two 25,5" Guitars. I used the same strings on both and the tension was not the same. I guess there are some other factors beside the scale length, but don't know..

.70 would be ok for me, but I like thick strings, I got no clue how some people are able to play Drop B with 0.54s
on a PRS (no offense Red Phoenix ;) ) B on a 25,5" should be at least a 0.60 for me, anything lighter would fuck
my playing up alot.

I hit my strings really hard so i take care that they are not flabby. On my 25,5" i have 60s and they aren't as strong as on my 25" with 54s. It's against math and i wouldn't believe it but it's obviously when i switch between them.

try the calc i posted. Its very easy to use and has all string gauges available

Well, E2 is the "normal" E on a guitar. Downtuned it's D#2, D2, ..., B1, A#1, A1 and so on.
Thanks for the other calculator-link.