Daily Rage..old review...still stupid

Kreator/Destroyer

The Lovecraftian Batman
Jun 2, 2006
Your imagination, of course!
So, hey, I was looking through Pitchfork. Why? Fuck if I know, but I came across an old review for Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos. Now, it's not the review of NBC itself that angers me, but the FIRST FUCKING PARAGRAPH.

The only point of this thread is to spark some discussion between the angered-by-this, and the Meshuggah fans. (Hint, Hint)

Disclaimer: I DO enjoy Meshuggah, but still...

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/7317-natural-born-chaos/

Mesuhggah is a trash band, and anyone arguing that their the kinds of scandinavia is missing part of their brain and is on acid.

"Soilwork switches back and forth between completely brutal thrash metal to melodic power metal without so much as battering an eyelash. All of the key elements to a good metal record are here: it's crunches and grinds with growling verses and anthemic choruses, and of course, there are those glorious fucking guttural, demonic invocations that, in some other genres, are referred as "vocals." There are even keyboards, for Christ's sake! I'm talking good atmospheric shit, too, not that overbearing, in-your-face classical crap Enchant forces on the Dream Theater pansies. (Think "Separate Ways," not "The Final Countdown.")"

I found this paragraph to be rather funny.

Well, that review was from 2002...and it's Pitchfork, hardly a worthwhile place for reviews anyhow.

But seriously, does anyone remember what the online metal community was like back then? People couldn't rely on metal-archives either because it was hardly established.

The article mentions Children of Bodom, so for example: Just about any review I had read about them at the time always seemed to mention how flawless the band was, never releasing a bad album. Alexei Laiho was considered to be a guitar god, and it wasn't uncommon for CoB to be labelled as (melodic) black metal.