Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos - Review

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Hmmm... where to begin.

The production on "Natural Born Chaos" is first rate, especially when considering that Soilwork is Swedish Death Metal, and bands of that genre don't typically receive the funds to make CDs this well produced. Devin Townsend's phenomenal production work aside, each new Soilwork release finds the band growing more mature, and more polished. In that sense, "Natural Born Chaos" is a natural progression. However, with this increased maturity and polish, there is a definite softening of the band's sound. Whether or not that's a good thing or a bad thing is for each Soilwork fans to decide for themselves.

"Natural Born Chaos" opens with "Follow the Hollow", a through and through Soilwork classic shredfest. Killer guitars and pounding drums abound. When the solo hits, it becomes clear that Peter's lead play has taken yet another step forward. "As We Speak" gives the listener a glimpse into Soilwork's more melodic side, as the keyboard laiden chorus flows into an incredibly emotive guitar solo. "The Flameout", a brutal track whose verse could make a dead man sit up and bang his head, offers a melodic/clean vox chorus that has become Soilwork's trademark. The next track brings us to the title track, and to the realization that Sven Karlsson's keyboards are becoming a bigger and bigger part of Soilwork's sound. Quite honestly, I don't know what to make of the bridge of this track. The vocal harmonizing, that leads into the chorus, caught me a bit off guard. "Mindfields" returns Soilwork to some more familiar territory. This track is a straight ahead ripper that slows only for some serious solo work. The sixth track on this disc, "The Bringer", has a definite Metallica "Black Album" era feel to it during parts of the chorus, where you would swear that James Hetfield is singing. During "Black Star Deceiver", Karlson's keys almost seem to give the track an underlying 70's vibe to it. Mind you, it isn't overt, but it's there. "Mercury Shadow" yields a more classic Soilwork sound; a ripping verse and a melodic/clean chorus. "No More Angels" continues along this tried and true path as well, albeit with a surprising little accoustic peice that precedes the solo. The final track, "Song of the Damned" shows off just how improved Bjorn's clean vox have become.

Soilwork has not only polished their sound, but improved their individual musical talents dramatically. Persoanlly, after only a few listens, I would bet that this release will end up as my favorite Soilwork release to date. To that end, I would say this to any Soilwork fan who might be reading this review; if you thought "The Chainheart Machine" was superior to "A Predator's Portrait", then you'll probably like "Natural Born Chaos" even less. However, if you thought that "A Predator's Portrait" was Soilwork's finest effort, then you'll probably find "Natural Born Chaos" to be their best CD to date.

GZ

there is a definite softening of the band's sound. Whether or not that's a good thing or a bad thing is for each Soilwork fans to decide for themselves.
I didn't like the style shift between Chainheart and PP. PP was too soft for me - I always liked Soilworks harder side. But they were nice enough to start Terror 2000, so I still love the guys. As if they did it just for fans like me :) I can't await the new Terror 2K album, I heard that it will be released by Nuclear Blast :confused:

I just realized.. IT'S MARCH ALREADY! Only two more weeks of suffering until I have it.

Edit: Just went to CDNOW
"Expected Release Date: April 02, 2002"

I swear it was march 14th. Does any place have it sooner?

-Hondo