Opeth and Soilwork...

Sanzen

Noonish Is My Robe
Sep 13, 2004
North Carolina, USA
I was talking with someone in another thread about the new soilwork album (and their steady trek downhill), when I remembered that Mike did guest vocals for "A Predator's Portrait."

Now, I've always heard and read that he sang the chorus on the title track ('Cause he will remain/will remain the same"), but listening to it, that sounds like Bjorn. Now the chorus that DOES sound like Mike is on "Neurotica Rampage" ("Hear/hear them say it so clear"). Can anyone (maybe with the album's liner notes) clear this up for me?

Oh, and discussion on the new Soilwork album is ok....but let's keep this Opeth related, people! Mike is not above hitting you in the head with his Swedish manpurse.

It's an insult to perform at ozzfest now... I mean, Christ... a few years ago, CRAZY TOWN performed for christ sakes!!

A FUCKING BOY BAND AT THE BIGGEST METAL FESTIVAL IN AMERICA!

I never wanted to ever attend an ozzfest after I heard that.

soilwork maybe.... but i doubt opeth would even be able to play ozzfest.

then again, if they did i wouldn't mind. its not like playing a poser show makes them posers.

shit.. ozzfest sux now.. but as soon as opeth plays in it all you guys are gonna go:

ozzfest <--- :worship:

Edit: I should say: a show is only as good as its bands. If ozzfest has good bands all of a sudden, then its a good fucking show. I don't care what's it been in the past. And vice versa, a good fest can turn to shit if the quality of the bands attending changes.

Ozzfest is "pay to play." Unless your label can dig up a good amount of cash to give to the Osbournes, you don't go on. The whole idea is fucked up.

Sfarog said:
shit.. ozzfest sux now.. but as soon as opeth plays in it all you guys are gonna go:

ozzfest <--- :worship:

Edit: I should say: a show is only as good as its bands. If ozzfest has good bands all of a sudden, then its a good fucking show. I don't care what's it been in the past. And vice versa, a good fest can turn to shit if the quality of the bands attending changes.

well as of now, iron maiden and black sabbath are going to headline ozzfest.

you are right in your edit though, you shouldn't just go "this festival blows" based only on its reputation for mallcore or whatever. if opeth, iron maiden, and black sabbath all played, you bet your ass i'll be there.

peter or mike said in an interview a couple years ago that they'd play at ozzfest. Who cares you guys? almost every ozzfest kid has heard opeth and made their mind up about them. I'll probably go this year since it's gonna be sabbath, maiden, original anthrax line up tentatively, and supposedly Megadeth.

I really don't know shit about Soilwork, so fill me in. I'll get their bio on their official site, but what do they sound like, recomend their best CD, etc. I have an opportunity to see them in April perhaps, but I want know more. Please opine.

Out.:devil:

Mr Samsara said:
I really don't know shit about Soilwork, so fill me in. I'll get their bio on their official site, but what do they sound like, recomend their best CD, etc. I have an opportunity to see them in April perhaps, but I want know more. Please opine.

Their first 3 albums are gothenburg melodic death masterpieces...so get all of those first. If you enjoy some of the newer albums, that's fine...just get the old ones. They probably won't play more than 2 songs from the first 3 albums when they tour, it'll just mainly be newer mallcore type stuff.

Mr Samsara said:

They started out sounding very much like At the Gates with "Steelbath Suicide" and "The Chainheart Machine" - thrashy melodic death with some great drums and guitar solos. Then on "Predator's Portrait", they started adding some melodic choruses...but only on a few songs. IMO, they should've stopped here. With "Natural Born Chaos", every song had a melodic chorus and it started sounding formulaic...even more mainstream with "Figure Number Five", and their newest one "Stabbing the Drama" is continuing in the same vein. I will say that I like it more than "Figure Number Five", just because they've finally settled on what they want to sound like. The choruses don't sound forced anymore, and Speed has gotten a lot better with his clean voice.

[/soilwork101]

Dreadful said:
They probably won't play more than 2 songs from the first 3 albums when they tour, it'll just mainly be newer mallcore type stuff.

I don't know dude, I saw them touring for Figure No. 5, and probably half the songs they played were off Predator's Portrait and Chainheart Machine...and they did play Sadistic Lullabye off Steelbath too...great live show.