In Flames, Soilwork, and alike

BurningSky

rxbandits.com
Jan 13, 2004
www.myspace.com
Mike, I know you're friends with Anders from In Flames, so I would assume you know the other guys in the band as well. Do you have any insight as to what lead to such a drastic change in style for them and other bands like Soilwork? I think that their early work was incredible and then all of a sudden they started incorporating ring tone sounds and shitty versions of Mega Man music. I don't want bands to stay stagnant over time, but I never would have suspected that In Flames would evolve into the shit factory they are today.

what I dont understand...is why in flames' change is such a shock.

the band has always had such a pop sensibility, and so many happy melodies...it seems almost like the natural progression for them. granted its not "metal" and many would argue its not very good...but i just dont think its that shocking of a change to be honest.

on another note, i doubt mikael will take liberty to explain something on another bands' behalf. but i could be wrong.

Well I could assume that mike won't respond and never know, or I could take 4 seconds of my life and ask him. And upbeat metal sensibilities shouldn't necessarily progress into nu-metal bullshit. I would say its not a huge shock after Clayman that Reroute to Remain and Blowtrack to your Escape came out, but whoracle, colony, jester race, and everything else before that would not lead me to expect their current sound.

BurningSky said:
Well I could assume that mike won't respond and never know, or I could take 4 seconds of my life and ask him. And upbeat metal sensibilities shouldn't necessarily progress into nu-metal bullshit. I would say its not a huge shock after Clayman that Reroute to Remain and Blowtrack to your Escape came out, but whoracle, colony, jester race, and everything else before that would not lead me to expect their current sound.

i certainly see your point, and agree to some extent. on the other hand, would you expect to hear damnation after hearing orchid and morningrise? :p

Interesting point... I guess I would never expect to hear an ALL mellow album from opeth, but even then Damnation isn't as much of a leap for Opeth as I thought R2R was for In Flames. siiiigh.. I guess I just am so pissed off that In Flames sucks now, I'm scraping for any insight as to why it had to happen. JESPER YOU WERE A GENIUS, WHAT HAPPENED!!!

You know...I do respect the musical direction of In Flames (reroute and soundtrack). The vocals, however, are what makes the new stuff horrible. I can totally understand In Flames being bored of a pure gothenburg sound, changing to a different sound, but god..those clean vocals,, UGHughUHGHG! are at least a good 3/4s of the reason why people dislike the new In Flames. He sounds like he's about to sneeze.

As for Soilwork...all I have to say is this: RIP

i made a mistake whe i bought soundtrack to your escape, and expected it to be better than R2R, but compared to soundtrack, R2R is so much better in comparison, even though i dont think it is such a good cd either

id
Dreadful said:
You know...I do respect the musical direction of In Flames (reroute and soundtrack). The vocals, however, are what makes the new stuff horrible. I can totally understand In Flames being bored of a pure gothenburg sound, changing to a different sound, but god..those clean vocals,, UGHughUHGHG! are at least a good 3/4s of the reason why people dislike the new In Flames. He sounds like he's about to sneeze.

*takes of hat, and holds it to chest*

The Lord has spoken.

Dreadful said:

I get so pissed when I'm talking to someone about In Flames and mention The Jester race, only to get the response..."huh, you mean they had an album before the almighty soundtrack to your escape"...that's the end of that conversation

Dreadful said:
btw, who's seeing Dark Tranquillity, Hypocrisy and Soilwork at the Key Club, LA April 16? I just purchased my ticket

I am very much looking forward to seeing this show on April 22nd...last time I saw Soilwork, they played a ton of pre-NBC shit. let's hope they keep that up.

R.I.P. Henry Ranta w/ soilwork :(

BurningSky said:
Mike, I know you're friends with Anders from In Flames, so I would assume you know the other guys in the band as well. Do you have any insight as to what lead to such a drastic change in style for them and other bands like Soilwork?
qa013-money-bag.jpg