Soilwork, In Flames, and At the Gates - Random Thoughts

Originally posted by Silent Downfall
actually i find soilwork's music bores me lol. i also think in flames is way more talented, have you even listened to their stuff? oh right you did :rolleyes: anyway i still like soilwork, i just in flames better.

and at the gates, what's there not to like? SOTS is am amazing album. how can you not get it? you must not be into melodic death metal much. ah well.

Of course,In flames members more talented than Soilwork's.Also you have to respect At The Gates!If they didn't release SOTS there wouldn't be a band called Soilwork!!!

Originally posted by Misanthrope
I disagree i like his vocals. Whenever you like him or not i think we can safetly say he does better vocals than the 3 bands in question anyway, great growls, some of the best cleans and ( specially on the upcoming damage done ) quite a bit of variety from disk to disk

After I wrote my previous comment I put The Gallery on and you're correct his vocals sound ok especially after listening to Soilwork!
Does he use his clean vocal style more on the new disc?

Originally posted by DoAsISayNotAsIDo
Of course,In flames members more talented than Soilwork's.
One should divide 2 things:
1. One's taste for music, whether you like a band/artist or not.
2. Whether music simply is good and talent-requiring, regardless of your own musical taste.

I mean, not everybody likes Mozart's music, but that doesn't mean it's not good. You simply cannot deny that Mozart is (was) a total genius. The same with f.ex. the Beatles, you may not like their music, but they simply are extremely talented.

Comparing Soilwork's and In Flames' last albums with the above in mind, I definitely think Soilwork's music is simply more sophisticated and talent-requiring than In Flames'. Soilwork's music is just more ingenius and simply more difficult to come up with. Note again that this has nothing to do with which of the two you or me personally prefers listening to, but simply with the level on which the music is performed, technically. Even if I'd hated Soilwork and loved In Flames I would have said this.

i think soilwork is ultimately one of the best bands to play metal from Europe. i have not heard much of in flames but what i have heard has not really "lit my fire" no pun intended. At the gates is a sweet band and i can here the influence but i think soilwork is a style all its own. they flow so well together, and the way that their clean vocals, melodies, dirty vocals, and heavy ass stuff just go is completely fricking awesome. i love it. i have never heard them live so i can't comment on that, but they are tight in cd.:headbang:

Originally posted by Liquid Tension
Thanks for saving me the cash!
You said you were listening to The Gallery again, the new album is quite much a return to that style, it's like The Mind's I, with some Haven touches as well, you should love it.

You can already download almost the entire you know, check it out, it's excellent! Now that we're talking about it again, I think I'm gonna give it another spin (on my harddisk...)!

Originally posted by whispersofaschizo
i think soilwork is ultimately one of the best bands to play metal from Europe. i have not heard much of in flames but what i have heard has not really "lit my fire" no pun intended. At the gates is a sweet band and i can here the influence but i think soilwork is a style all its own. they flow so well together, and the way that their clean vocals, melodies, dirty vocals, and heavy ass stuff just go is completely fricking awesome. i love it. i have never heard them live so i can't comment on that, but they are tight in cd.:headbang:
You've got an ear for quality music for sure... In Flames ain't bad either, check out "The Jester Race" or "Whoracle", excellent stuff.

Originally posted by DoAsISayNotAsIDo
Also you have to respect At The Gates!If they didn't release SOTS there wouldn't be a band called Soilwork!!!
Actually Soilwork were initially a band in the vein of Pantera (you can still hear some of that in Strid's vocals), Machine Head, Meshuggah in their early stages, they originally were not a melodic Death Metal band, but then maybe ATG made them change their style a bit...

After I wrote my previous comment I put The Gallery on and you're correct his vocals sound ok especially after listening to Soilwork!
Does he use his clean vocal style more on the new disc?

Nou but he improved like 10x his growls. Not only does he has more variety, but he started doing the growl/cry thing again like in those live shows of the world domination tour. Great work

Originally posted by MadTinus

You said you were listening to The Gallery again, the new album is quite much a return to that style, it's like The Mind's I, with some Haven touches as well, you should love it.

You can already download almost the entire you know, check it out, it's excellent! Now that we're talking about it again, I think I'm gonna give it another spin (on my harddisk...)!

Thanks for the information and I'm glad that you're excited about the new disc! It would seem that the my span of listening to bands with these types of singers was only long enough for my cd collection to grow and now I don't seem to be reaching for these discs anymore. This includes Death and it's too bad that Chuck didn't use Hoglan for his side project Controlled Denied! I have been wiping off the dust these past two days so maybe I'll start getting some more listens to these bands.

Thanks for the information and I'm glad that you're excited about the new disc! It would seem that the my span of listening to bands with these types of singers was only long enough for my cd collection to grow and now I don't seem to be reaching for these discs anymore. This includes Death and it's too bad that Chuck didn't use Hoglan for his side project Controlled Denied! I have been wiping off the dust these past two days so maybe I'll start getting some more listens to these bands.

Richard Christy outdone him on both control denied and tsop, he is just better, technically and tastefully better. Legends fucking suck and im shure chuck would be pissed off if he listened comments like this cause you are not giving new talented people a chance. Saying " buu huu hoglan didnt do control denied" is like saying "hey i dont care how good chuck was, tommy iomi is a better guitar player". Its just stupid and wrong.

Originally posted by Misanthrope

Richard Christy outdone him on both control denied and tsop, he is just better, technically and tastefully better. Legends fucking suck and im shure chuck would be pissed off if he listened comments like this cause you are not giving new talented people a chance. Saying " buu huu hoglan didnt do control denied" is like saying "hey i dont care how good chuck was, tommy iomi is a better guitar player". Its just stupid and wrong.

I disagree with this ESPECIALLY the tastefully better statement! The rest of your statement is just plain stupid and wrong!!:lol:

I disagree with this ESPECIALLY the tastefully better statement! The rest of your statement is just plain stupid and wrong!!:lol:

And yet you dont offer more explanations. I dont really have to, TSOP speaks for itself and it will forever stand as the most impressive drumming Death ever had.

Originally posted by MadTinus

Actually Soilwork were initially a band in the vein of Pantera (you can still hear some of that in Strid's vocals), Machine Head, Meshuggah in their early stages, they originally were not a melodic Death Metal band, but then maybe ATG made them change their style a bit...

Hopping from one bandwagon to another.

And Hoglan owns Christy in technicality, creativity, unpredictability and in general common sense (i.e. he knows when to put in those technical thingies and when not to).