In Flames and Opeth boards

Belial

Rainbow Demon
Nov 18, 2001
Shoikan Grove
jason.storiesfrom.us
I'm curious. Assuming that how people behave on the bands official forums is ANY indication of that bands fan base AT ALL, I'm curious how In Flames fans are so immature, and Opeth fans are... well... interesting.

Perhaps it's the music the bands play? In Flames is an awsome band, but the difference between them and Opeth is their music is slightly more brutal, a lot more direct and is verse-chorus oriented, while Opeth has it's own structure and requires a bit of patience to get into and listen. Could it be that In Flames attracts less mature people (to their forums, anyway) because they give more instant gratification and thus satisfy the short attention spans of idiots?... That could also explain why Slipknot and Marylin Manson have so many fans.

I don't mean to judge or offend anyone. All this just popped in my head whilst I was browsing the In Flames forum.

I've said it many times before - this is by far the best internet messageboard because of the level of intellect and what seems to be the character of the people here.

Now - the music : Opeth's music is some of the most intellectual music I've ever heard. It stands to reason that only an intellectual person with depth could even begin to understand Opeth. For mainstream music - it's just that - it attracts the masses for reasons beyond the music. Madonna followers dressed like her - Brittany followers drool over her (at least the male ones) : hmmmm, I don't like her music, but I have that drooling feeling when looking at her {*slap* *slap*} - OK, I'm better now....

Some of the underground metal I listen to attracts varying types of metalheads. Some of the death metal bands attract people who just want to jump into the mosh pit and hurt people. I blame a lot of that on the type of music these bands play - brutal in your face music with lyrics about shitty stuff : hate, angst, which incites people.

Like you, Belial, I don't like to judge people, but it's the feeling I get. Opeth fans are special - I think this messageboard proves it. :)