Opeth...In Flames...Cradle of Filth...eh

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Opeth is shit. everyone album sucks. No argument. My opinion rules all. R2R kicks ass. You guys are too insecure with your musical tastes to like anything outta the realm of cookie monsterness

there are bands other than opeth?

*dies of shock*

AllWithinMyMonster said:
Opeth is shit. everyone album sucks. No argument. My opinion rules all. R2R kicks ass. You guys are too insecure with your musical tastes to like anything outta the realm of cookie monsterness

:err:

Yeah man, I heard one of In Flames' older albums before (the title now escapes me) and one song did impress me, though I now forget the others.

I will make sure I check out as much older In Flames as possible...I wouldn't be surprised if they impress me.

Alcapoth said:
Yeah man, I heard one of In Flames' older albums before (the title now escapes me) and one song did impress me, though I now forget the others.

I will make sure I check out as much older In Flames as possible...I wouldn't be surprised if they impress me.
Be sure to check out Jester's Race. I heard it's the best In Flame album. As for me, I just heard R2R and it didn't impress me except for 1 or 2 songs.

R2R is not garbage, its really a good album. It's entertaining now and again. Of course in comparison to some of their other albums and all of opeth it is pure horseshit.

Thank God I never liked IF because I'd be pissed if they turned out to suck wang like they do now. And CoF is a bunch of bullshit. I can't stand them at all. I have to hold myself back from beating the sh!t outta those CoF groupies I see everywhere! I liked the bit about trends and marketing. Opeth songs are just too long to be on the radio. That simple. Obviously DAmnation is radio friendly but nobody likes good music like PT too! People will buy older Opeth if they heard em on the radio then abandon the radio forever like we all have. Which means no $$$ for lame ass weenie bands and record labels. I wish the would play em on the radio so people could hear the wonder that is Opeth. Fuck Cof for the record.

How many of you really don't give a fuck about a band's popularity/trendiness and just base your opinions of them strictly on whether or not you genuienly like or dislike their music?

I've read people explain how Opeth is trendy now. So really, all that shit about popularity is all subjective. I think popularity all depends on how you look at it, and what does that matter anyway? Music is music is music.

I don't care if someone who likes Linkin Park also likes Opeth. I don't care if some frat boy listens death metal to impress some really hot goth chick (or whatever...bare with me) when he really doesn't give two fucks about anything except getting laid and using the music to get to it. Generally, I don't associate with people like this anyway, but even if I did, music is what you make out of it. I think turning it into pissing contests over "I'm more goth/punk/metal than you" or "this was my band first, you dirty little trendy bastard" is really...immature/high-schoolish for lack of a better term.

If anything, if someone likes the same music as you, you can use that as a way to relate to them, if anything else.

I also don't care. It's just that almost everyone else seems to. I ashamedly admit I have had many opinions forced on me by others trying to be more "Goth" or "Punk" or whatever than everyone else.

I disagree. Music is everything to me and I wouldn't want someone just using it. Maybe it doesn't mean much to you people but it means a lot to me. But! If someone who doesn't care about Opeth bought their cd...I wouldn't care at all because they need their $$$. I think the music I choose to listen to is superior to others and that bands that sell-out don't deserve my hard earned $$$. But the bands that make it for the love of music will get my support. If they happen to be mainstream and appeal to me and the same time the so be it. But it is very rare that a mainstream band has ever appealed to me. If people like to "pose" their musical tastes as something their not then to me it says alot about their character. Maybe its because the music I listen to touches me so profoundly that I feel the way I do.

Mr. Niel said:
How many of you really don't give a fuck about a band's popularity/trendiness and just base your opinions of them strictly on whether or not you genuienly like or dislike their music?

I've read people explain how Opeth is trendy now. So really, all that shit about popularity is all subjective. I think popularity all depends on how you look at it, and what does that matter anyway? Music is music is music.

I don't care if someone who likes Linkin Park also likes Opeth. I don't care if some frat boy listens death metal to impress some really hot goth chick (or whatever...bare with me) when he really doesn't give two fucks about anything except getting laid and using the music to get to it. Generally, I don't associate with people like this anyway, but even if I did, music is what you make out of it. I think turning it into pissing contests over "I'm more goth/punk/metal than you" or "this was my band first, you dirty little trendy bastard" is really...immature/high-schoolish for lack of a better term.

If anything, if someone likes the same music as you, you can use that as a way to relate to them, if anything else.

I certainly base my opinions on the music. I love System of a Down, I like Metallica - Load, I like some Offspring....Why anyone would dislike a band just for being mainstream, I just don't know.

Now, my definition of 'selling out' is 'watering down your music so that it appeals to those who didn't have the mental capacity to appreciate it before'. If a band does that, and I don't like the music anymore, I won't waste my time with them anymore. I also won't make about 100 threads about them moaning and whining (cough cough St Anger threads cough).

So basically, stop moaning. If a band you loved suddenly went mainstream but their music was just as good, would you enjoy listening any less? If so, then you deserve to be upset, and whining about it on here isn't going to help. I say good luck to Opeth, if they get as big as Linkin Park and keep their music at a high standard, that's great.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I certainly base my opinions on the music. I love System of a Down, I like Metallica - Load, I like some Offspring....Why anyone would dislike a band just for being mainstream, I just don't know.

Now, my definition of 'selling out' is 'watering down your music so that it appeals to those who didn't have the mental capacity to appreciate it before'. If a band does that, and I don't like the music anymore, I won't waste my time with them anymore. I also won't make about 100 threads about them moaning and whining (cough cough St Anger threads cough).

So basically, stop moaning. If a band you loved suddenly went mainstream but their music was just as good, would you enjoy listening any less? If so, then you deserve to be upset, and whining about it on here isn't going to help. I say good luck to Opeth, if they get as big as Linkin Park and keep their music at a high standard, that's great.

Hey, we're on a posting forum right? Don't ruin the fun for those of us who live for disputes.

hibernal_dream said:
Hey, we're on a posting forum right? Don't ruin the fun for those of us who live for disputes.

Intelligent discussions are one thing. Stupid, senseless, 'already-been-done-a-million-times' whining about a band that were OBVIOUSLY going to create a reroute having already created a clayman (as an example) is just pointless. I'm saving you from humiliating yourselves, not ruining anything. o_O

Guardian of Darkness said:
Intelligent discussions are one thing. Stupid, senseless, 'already-been-done-a-million-times' whining about a band that were OBVIOUSLY going to create a reroute having already created a clayman (as an example) is just pointless. I'm saving you from humiliating yourselves, not ruining anything. o_O

Not all of us patrol the forums 24 hours a day for r2r threads.

Those that dislike R2R, at least admit that Cloud Connected rocks. And Trigger has one hell of a chorus...

My personal take on what is happening in the case of In Flames and Opeth is that In Flames' style is in a vein that is what most younger and less [musically] mature fans can appreciate more easily. Their music isn't nearly as deep, and tries(quite successfully, it seems) to strike a chord with that less mature, more easily excitable audience. Opeth, on the other hand, doesn't particularly care about pleasing any fanbase. Their style is less marketable among the metal community than In Flames. This keeps Opeth from getting an overly fanatical fanbase.
This is more or less very similar to my opinion...However im rather fond of In Flames and i think their style is fine the way it is...but since In Flames has a more thrash style to them, people into Metallica and Slayer can really get into them...a friend of mine whos a metalhead from another forum basically clarified this...He said he liked Opeth but he thought In Flames was much better..He found them more suiting to his style than Opeth...Hes not a progressive guy so it explains alot...Most Opeth fans are pretty into prog ive noticed...i know i am (i always had a soft spot for space-prog)...
I hate COF for many reasons but this is the main thing that bugs me about them...Dani Filth is an attention whore..he is in the same vein as Marilyn Manson in this sense because people talking about his appearance (even in a negative way) brings him joy above all else...that shit doesnt fly with me when it comes to musicians..i like bands who play music, not bands who love to appeal to the Hot Topic crowd...Plus im not huge on the whole Black Metal bit...Although i will admit, Dani is capable of writing some pretty good lyrics...its a shame he cant seem to sing them properly...O__o

I sincerely hope that Opeth, Mikael in particular, can avoid the trends in music that drown so many bands.
This i found on the official site apparently put there by Mikael: "The strange thing is that it´s not intentional. I don´t doubt one second that we´d be a bigger band if we did what was good for Opeth..but we just don´t! The day we would limit ourselves or adapt to the music scene, would be the day Opeth dies"

I think that sums it right up!