In Flames, Soilwork, and alike

Man In Black said:
am I the only one who doesn't think that new Soilwork isn't complete crap?

I don't think it is crap, but I had little in the way of expectation.

I will listen to more or less anything, so probably not the best opinion to take if you want a "true metalhead" or elitist opinion. (I am listening to 4 Non Blondes at the moment...)

Stabbing The Drama will be huge, make them and the label a shit load of money and they will probably tour it to death. I am not a huge fan of theirs anyway, but if I was of the early stuff I would go and see them anyway.

Who hear remembers the complete rhythm/tempo/feel change in the bridge of the first track off "Chainheart Machine"? It just switches into this syncopated rhythm with Peter doing these crazy sweep arpeggios over it.

THAT'S the soilwork I miss. :( It's so formulaic now...

I love that part, I know exactly what you're talking about...that song and bulletbeast were the first two Soilwork songs I heard. I was totally blown away at such a talented new metal band keeping solos alive.

after reading this, im happy my one and only in flames purchase was jester race. and i like the album alot.

What are some bands that have continued to evolve that you guys think have changed in a good way?

just because i like their evolution doesnt mean i enjoy their new stuff more...i just enjoy all eras of the following bands:

opeth, katatonia, ulver, nevermore, dark tranquility, evoken, my dying bride, enslaved, arcturus, and a lot of non metal bands as well, etc

Well I could careless about their appearance...they can sport Adidas wear for the rest of their career for all I care...I just wish they wouldn't sound they're doing an Adidas commercial on TV.

Dreadful said:
Well I could careless about their appearance...they can sport Adidas wear for the rest of their career for all I care...I just wish they wouldn't sound they're doing an Adidas commercial on TV.

i agree. i hardly think what clothes a band wears means much of anything...but for a musical direction to go astray is a shame. i thought reroute was fairly clever, interesting, and well executed for not really being my cup of tea. but as musicians i appreciated what they were trying to do...but i think soundtrack to your escape is contrived, boring, and way below par for a band of such high talent and songwriting capability. hopefully they can do something much better next go around...otherwise its their back catalog that will have to suffice for most of their fans i think.