In Flames, Soilwork, and alike

ænimated said:
qa013-money-bag.jpg
:tickled: :tickled: :tickled: :tickled:

The only In Flames I've ever heard is Jester Race, and even then I was wondering why so many people were shitting their pants over it. Soilwork suck.

synergy said:
I get so pissed when I'm talking to someone about In Flames and mention The Jester race, only to get the response..."huh, you mean they had an album before the almighty soundtrack to your escape"...that's the end of that conversation

Jester Race, Subterranean, The Gallery and Of Chaos And Eternal Night... all four are true genre defining releases. In my mind, the highlight of both bands having built on the potential shown in their respective first release.

I have a friend that thinks he knows a lot about music, he doesn't. He thinks he speaks with authority on most subjects, he doesn't. He talks a lot and speaks loudly.

He discovered In Flames when he heard one of my DJs playing, "Cloud Connected" last year. This in its self is amusing as he used to slag off the music I played when I DJ'd at a venue WITH HIM (he was brought in to cover NuMetal as I could not complete all the requirements) a few years ago. I picked up specifically on that track and played it on quite heavy rotation and the CD sold by the bucket load in my town. He complained that it was all just too heavy and that no-one really cared.

They are now one of his favourite bands. He has also discovered Soilwork (but not Darkane), he told me that the one track that I played him fromthe latest Dead Soul Tribe CD had to be a rip off of Tool (his favourite band), when I told him to pull his head in, he went to the internet at work in an attempt to prove to me that it MUST be a Tool side project... you get the picture?

He likes to try and tell me why the first In Flames releases are "bad"... apparently, in his "wisdom" it is down to the shit production!

I know that it is easy to dismiss the opinions of people like this, but do you think that there is anything in it?

Apparently the only reason that I don't think they were shit is because I was listening to them the time and I cannot appreciate the way they have progressed (note: not "developed" or "evolved").

I should also add that I love Reroute (albeit for different reasons than the earlier stuff), but I rarely listen to the latest one as I am sick of hearing him go on about how good it is...

So what does anyone think? Try not to just dismiss him.

Reaper of Souls said:
but yes, the clean vocals are annoying, it sounds like anders is whining instead of singing on that

I think he sounds like Elmer Fudd from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.

If in doubt, listen to the Passenger album... When listening to it, I still expect him to say "Kill da waabiiit".

Still, it is a reasonable album too.

@Alex Guinness: I don't associate with people like that. As soon as I get even the slightest hint of stupidty from a friend or otherwise, I'll immediately end the conversation and sometimes even continued relations, depending on the severity of said comment.

I have no patience for people, their illogicality, lack of rationale, or impulsive emotional outburts with no clear reasoning. I gave up on making people see things my way through arguments a long time ago. It isn't worth the time anymore, so I just don't bother. The small close-knit group of friends I have around me tend to have alot of my tastes and indulgences in music rub off on them, so it tends to be a matter of inadvertently passing on my views as opposed to arguing them. Alot less stressful, I can say that much.

In terms of the two bands, I think it's fairly sad. In Flames were one of my favourite bands, and I suppose had they called it quits after Colony or Clayman, would still be. I can understand getting sick of the Gothenburg sound... that's no leverage to regress your music though. There are so many other directions that they could've taken their sound, as opposed to adapting to some 'nu-rock' mainstream-frenzy. They did always have a poppy sound in terms of melodies.. but that was an aspect of their music implemented tastefully IMHO... alot like the melodies on Dan Swano's 'Moontower'. The ironic thing is that with the latest albums they seem to have dropped those melodies, yet somehow become even more mainstream sounding.

I can't really comment on Soilwork as I was never really a big fan, but it seems from what people say that they took a similar turn.

Moonlapse said:
The small close-knit group of friends I have around me tend to have alot of my tastes and indulgences in music rub off on them, so it tends to be a matter of inadvertently passing on my views as opposed to arguing them.

does that include norther? :p

Moonlapse said:
@Alex Guinness: I don't associate with people like that. As soon as I get even the slightest hint of stupidty from a friend or otherwise, I'll immediately end the conversation and sometimes even continued relations, depending on the severity of said comment.

I have no patience for people, their illogicality, lack of rationale, or impulsive emotional outburts with no clear reasoning. I gave up on making people see things my way through arguments a long time ago. It isn't worth the time anymore, so I just don't bother. The small close-knit group of friends I have around me tend to have alot of my tastes and indulgences in music rub off on them, so it tends to be a matter of inadvertently passing on my views as opposed to arguing them. Alot less stressful, I can say that much.

In terms of the two bands, I think it's fairly sad. In Flames were one of my favourite bands, and I suppose had they called it quits after Colony or Clayman, would still be. I can understand getting sick of the Gothenburg sound... that's no leverage to regress your music though. There are so many other directions that they could've taken their sound, as opposed to adapting to some 'nu-rock' mainstream-frenzy. They did always have a poppy sound in terms of melodies.. but that was an aspect of their music implemented tastefully IMHO... alot like the melodies on Dan Swano's 'Moontower'. The ironic thing is that with the latest albums they seem to have dropped those melodies, yet somehow become even more mainstream sounding.

I can't really comment on Soilwork as I was never really a big fan, but it seems from what people say that they took a similar turn.

I wish it were that simple. He is a good bloke and his heart is in the right place most of the time, but he tries too hard with a lot of things and trying to appear informed about music is one he get oooo so wrong.

As well as being a friend, I have been working two 10 hour night shifts with him (and no-one else) per week in the same office for approaching a year.

That means that I cannot disassociate from such conversations. I am a quiet person and he is definitely not. We have found enough compromise that enables us to do our jobs and not kill each other.

Unfortunately this means that I occasionally cannot avoid the conversation.

I was more interested in anyone's opinion of the earlier production? Due to the fact that I have had to endure the conversations in person, I was wondering if there may be a valid point that I am dismissing simply due to frustration?

Any argument comes only from when I am sick of being lectured on a band that I have been listening to regularly for the last 10 or 12 years by someone that has not heard all their back catalogue.

I tend to let out the odd, let's say "levelling" comment that he feels he can then prove wrong. That usually means I go quiet, do not respond and he eventually stops.

I never go out of the way to argue about music, unless I happen upon some closed minded people, then it is just sport.

AlexGuinness said:
I think he sounds like Elmer Fudd from the Bugs Bunny cartoons.

If in doubt, listen to the Passenger album... When listening to it, I still expect him to say "Kill da waabiiit".

Still, it is a reasonable album too.

hahaha

NineFeetUnderground said:
does that include norther? :p

Sure does.

@Alex: Yeah, the production of that era is weak. There is something about older metal albums that makes the elements indistinct and not very articulate.

If your friend is a nu-metal fan I can understand totally. There has been a move recently in rock/metal production to completely sterilise recordings and pump everything as high as it will go so the talentless asswipes who play 3 chords and make millions off it can get a heavy sound without actually playing heavy material etc.

It's about production compensating for lack of artistic integrity.

It was sort of the other way around back in the day. It seemed almost as if the music had to make up for the bad production... case in point: Orchid, The Jester Race, Subterranean etc.

There's some great stuff on Clayman. The last In Flames I enyoyed was Colony. Ordinary Story is probably one of my favourite In Flames tracks. Melodic..yet pretty heavy. And good lyrics.

In Flames 2 first realese are the best they ever made in my opinion. After Jester race, whoracle and Colony are also good albums...but gradually change the sound of the band...then..clayman..a fairly good album with good songs..but with a bad voice..but still...after with r2r...In flames new direction....alot of new fans discovered In Flames with r2r...usually younger and they think they have THE right opinion un music...and then STYE..in the same direction as r2r but with a even more electronic sound...bad album..I dont think so. What Jesper did in early 1990/1993..is dead...that In Flames does not exist anymore...fans are struggling to find a familiar sound that comes from colony and Clayman on STYE. Is it bad...I guess nit because its not bad music....but is it a shame?? yes...because they went in the only direction that ment (mainstream)..I mean...Mtv..its IN Flames direction...but go talk to Dark Tranquillity...they can be proud ...after 16 years..they still play what simply comes out of there heads...and now, they are getting what they deserve!...and for Soilwork...dont know about them

I actually thought Reroute to Remain was a good album because they still had a pretty melodic sound back then, but Soundtrack just sucks...maybe if they just got rid of Anders they could be a decent band again, but as of right now they're just a small step above Korn and it looks like they'll just keep getting worse.....

--In Flames--

ABLEE353.jpg