3. The Flameout
4. Natural Born Chaos
5. Mindfields
6. The Bringer
7. Blackstar Deceiver
8. Mercury Shadows
9. No More Angels
10. Song Of The Damned

Soilwork is one of the bands that you can say: ¡§That is Soilwork.¡¨ when you first hear it. They have their own sound and it seems like people really love that sound! Swedish (What a surprise¡K ) Soilworkers¡¦ career started in late 1995. They were not Soilwork then. Their name was ¡§Inferior Breed¡¨. Their music was something like a Pantera based technical death metal. Their first and only demo was ¡§In Dreams We Fall Into The Eternal Lake¡¨
Some members in he band were very close friends with Michael Amott (You know this guy.) who owns a record store. They asked him to send the demo to some labels. And he did. The label liked the demo and then it was released. Years passed and now we have four Soilwork albums in our hands. This review you read is about the last one¡K Natural Born Chaos.
Their last effort ¡§A Predator¡¦ s Portrait¡¨ was one of the best albums of 2001 and it helped the band to increase the number their fans a lot. If you heard Soilwork before, you know what to expect¡K And this album will surely satisfy you according to these expectations.
If I review the album song by song, the opener ¡§Follow The Hollow¡¨ is a ¡§must listen¡¨ and it hits you hard. It¡¦ s fast yet melodic, based on a complex riff that you can¡¦ t figure out easily when you first hear it and the chorus part sticks your mind after a few listens. Surely a Soilwork classic. The second song ¡§As We Speak¡¨ is a classic too. They shot a video for this song. Catchy, flowing and a great chorus again. Actually all choruses of all songs are brilliant. ¡§The Flameout¡¨¡K the chorus again. Then the title track. One of the bests on the album and the keyboard based guitar parts are essential. ¡§The Bringer¡¨ is another great song. It¡¦ s very emotional and you really love the song at first listen. I know that I repeated how great are the chorus parts but I can¡¦ t pass the songs without mentioning them. It¡¦ would be a great album too if they only release the choruses. ƒº You will understand it when you hear. So from now on, I¡¦ m continuing the songs but first I¡¦ m putting this: ¡§All chorus parts ¡V Incredible.) Period¡K
Now I can go on. ¡§Blackstar Deceiver¡¨ is a real hit much like ¡§Mercury Shadow¡¨ Both songs are written for live performance and I¡¦ m sure the crowds will have great fun, singing the songs because they are all so catchy. And the last song ¡§Song Of The Damned¡¨ is the longest, saddest song on the album. Really emotional and some diehard fans can cry on the¡K yes again: the chorus!
Finally; it¡¦ s obvious that Soilwork will grow bigger and bigger with each album. They are absolutely one of the giants of their genre and I must say with that catchyness and ¡§writing hit song ability¡¨, they might be at the heights of In Flames and Dark Tranquillity. This album is a must buy for every metal fan. You gotta find something you like. Actually more than something. One of the best releases of this year.

Check out tips: ¡§Follow The Hollow¡¨, ¡§As We Speak¡¨, ¡§Natural Born Chaos¡¨, ¡§Blackstar Deceiver¡¨, ¡§Mercury Shadow¡¨

Rating: 5/5

Ahmet Saracoglu

Support: www.metalforlife.com

I listened to NBC for three weeks solid, and it now just gets played most of the time in preference to my newly arrived Susperia release..... It's definately a step-down in musical technicality and intensity, but it's a phenominal leap forwards in emotive quality. Every time I hear it, i'm fascinated and stuck into every single song; where some bands hit you with complexity that requries you to pay explicit attention while you uncover more and more layers of the music, NBC just takes your breath away with it's grace and beauty. My heart literally soars in my chest when I listen to NBC.

I agree that this is an amazing album, with the newfound clean singing that was used only sparingly in their previous album "A Predator's Portrait". Unfortunately, i think the clean singing was overused, which many people will agree with I believe. Such as in "Black Star Deceiver" the chorus isn't exactly metal, it gets a little too cheesy for my tastes :D My fav. song off that album is still follow the hollow, it really gets you singing along. I'd recommend that song to anyone who likes soilwork.

I really like the clean vox in A Predator's Portrait. However, whatever voodoo Devin did to soilwork's sound was definitely a bad thing. The clean vox, in addition to the song structure in general, are weak. Not only are they weak, they're annoying as fuck. I can easily imagine hearing this in daily rotation on commercial radio.

Natural Born Chaos is the only CD I own from Soilwork -- I need something more thrash that what this CD delivers, although that third song, The Flameout, is killer. A Follow the Hollow mp3 download got me interested enough to buy this album, that song is great also.

Tell me, can I get my thrash fix if I ponied up the cash for their previous CD's, or are the older albums in this same NBC vein?

Thrasher in Sac

Oh yeah, The Haunted is right in there for top notch thrash, although I can't find their first CD yet. I was able to find the double CD with the live material and their second album. I picked up Witchery's Symphony for the Devil, too -- Now that is some killer shit. Those Swedes sure know how to do it right.

I will find and buy Soilwork's early works based on your comments.

I've got this idea that Gothenburg/Stockholm has all sorts of venues, lots of shows playing every night of the week, people stumbling home drunk with ringing ears, doing it all over again the next night. Based on the number of bands coming out of that area, you'd think so. Either way, it has to be more active than here.

Thrasher in Sac

I hate to review things, but I am not a huge fan of this new cd, soilwork lost way too much of theri aggression, and atmospheric keyboards seem to have replaced alot of that great double guitar work

Hi there Guys,

I wrote this review ( for my mate) after my mate posted the album to me (I live in Thailand) and I would like to share my comments with you guys;

The first album I need to talk about is Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos. I just have to say that this is the best album you have given me. For the love of God man, this album is hard, heavy and the lyrics and music are all so CLEAN. You can hear everything, I mean the lyrics, drums everything...But the most important thing is how melodic this album is.

If this really is gothenborg-melodic, then I now want more albums that they and other bands have done. Let me tell you, the first time I heard this I just loved the album, I mean for Gods sake Follow the Hollow is just a killer track. The whole tracks does a complete 90 degree turn with those thrash style vocals during the chorus, TAKE A LOOK, TAKE A RIDE. And then later into the track it just tapers off with that guitar hitting the blues scales before more thrash elements come in.

When I first heard 'As We Speak' I just could not believe the
ferrocity of this track, but unlike other 'thrash' the tracks breaks out with those harmonies and that keyboard synthing over the heavy crunch. I read the reviews on Metal-Rules and you know what I say, I don't give a shit that the track has catchy lyrics, I think that adds to the appeal of this album by a zillion percent.

Flameout can be summed up, just listen to the chorus. Does that not make your hair rise when they sing that...But listen to that guitar which is being plucked so fast it has a twang. You know what is so great about this album is the pure genius in the writing and production. Devin Townsend has definately done some fantastic work on this.

Natural Born Chaos is just a fantastic track, but have you noticed that there are not too many catchy stuff in this track? It just does not need it at all because the lyrics are just so harsh, and when the chorus does come in it's like you can take a little beer break before going back for some more heavy shit. The solo track is simple and effective and does not go on too long. I love the drum ending of the track, wicked end. Mindfield is definately the most heavy track on the album, just hear him cry that chorus out. The
Bringer, is this album just getting better and better. The chrorus
sounds so much like Dave Mustain (Bring it Back, Bring it Home), listen to how he says Bring...That's dave without a doubt !!

Black Star Deceiver has a really interesting chorus because it's actually all Dark chords, so the vocals go up and right down, that is just so cool and it gives it a haunting and evil feel while being happy at the same time !!

Mercury Shadow is just following in the same vain as the other tracks, you cannot dislike this, another great track.

No More Angels has a great fusion of just harsh crisp
guitars with 70's synth keyboards (played in the chorus). The lyrics are just great and the solo has so much feeling with the squeel and run up and down the fretboard..again the solo is sweet and short. It's great when the tempo just slack off a few beats before launching into the chorus which simply kicks ass.

Song of the Damned just starts off so beautifully (could pass for some mystery show like Arthur C Clarkes Mysterious Worlds). I
don't know what else to say apart from that this track is just so great to the ears, I mean for fucks sake there is so much going on in this album, you have heavy, soft and catchy lyrics...You cannot but LOVE this album.

To pick which tracks I love is just madness, I cannot because I love all the tracks equally. This is without a doubt an absolutely fantastic album.

Thanks for allowing me to share this with your forum.

Metal Thailand