damaged cabinet....UPS claim....tolex....?!?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Wasn't really sure where to post this.

Received my Mesa OS cab yesterday. Used, but mint, and shipped to me via UPS.

For the amount that I paid for shipping, this thing should NOT be arriving damaged.

Thing shows up, casters bent, bearings shot, one wheel literally cracked in half, and a nice little nick in the tolex.

Casters - not so worried about. Going to file claim anyway to try and get some $ back. But they are cheap enough.

Ding in tolex - really irks me. Other than this, the thing is mint.

Does anyone know what it would cost to re-tolex this thing? I'm not sure what to tell UPS for the price of the torn tolex.

This site says about $40: http://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/servlet/Cart?cart_id=37920837

Can't find tolex on Mesa's site.

:bah:

Retolexing a Mesa cab is a fucking bitch and a half. It will take you a long time to sand off the old glue; it's really not worth it.

The caster issue sucks but tells me it wasn't packed well (shipped with casters on = fail); the tolex nick you'll probably just have to deal with.

Yeah, it does suck. Not really a huge deal, but UPS packaged the thing and it was a joke and a half. The packing material basically did NOTHING inside the box, the cab was just sorta floating around in there.

Yeah, it does suck. Not really a huge deal, but UPS packaged the thing and it was a joke and a half. The packing material basically did NOTHING inside the box, the cab was just sorta floating around in there.

Isn't that stuff insured? Especially when UPS packed it themselves. Get that money back :)

they probably kicked that cab right out the back of the truck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA

I had a buddy who worked for UPS years ago and he told me that they were basically ordered to throw shit around and work faster, not smarter. So wrong.

Shipper says it's insured up to $500. Does anyone know how much I could possibly get out of this? Not that I want to cheat the system, but I believe I paid way too much for shipping for it to show up in this condition.

I had a buddy who worked for UPS years ago and he told me that they were basically ordered to throw shit around and work faster, not smarter. So wrong.

Shipper says it's insured up to $500. Does anyone know how much I could possibly get out of this? Not that I want to cheat the system, but I believe I paid way too much for shipping for it to show up in this condition.

UPS is a major bitch to deal with, but if you supply them with written quotes for the cabinet's repair they should reimburse whatever it is (up to $500). Most furniture upholstery places can give you a quote on re-tolexing it if you send them a pic and measurements. I just had a Dual Rec retolexed for $80 (I provided the tolex, which was maybe $15).

UPS is a major bitch to deal with, but if you supply them with written quotes for the cabinet's repair they should reimburse whatever it is (up to $500). Most furniture upholstery places can give you a quote on re-tolexing it if you send them a pic and measurements. I just had a Dual Rec retolexed for $80 (I provided the tolex, which was maybe $15).

Hmm, maybe I should have upped the price of the tolex then. :lol: $80 for just a Dual Recto head? I only filled out the damage report pages on UPS's site, so like 4 x damaged casters and 1 x (cost of) tolex, so I guess when I receive the next email from UPS I should find a quote on re-tolexing and add that in as well.

I'd say fuck em and try to get the whole 500, then sell the cab and get a new one plus some other gear.

I'd say it's possible but may not be likely :lol:

If there's a chance you'll have to ship the cab to get it re-tolexed, add that to the claim.

Wow, with the shape that box is in, I'm surprised none of the speakers got punctured.

UPS is the worst to deal with. They are the only company I've ever had something shipped to me with that has completely destroyed things. In fact, I've never had something delivered from USPS, FedEx or DHL that was damaged, more than a broken tube here and there. I flat out refuse to deal with most people if they insist on shipping UPS anymore.

I mean, that first pic alone.....the way the plate of the caster is bent, I literally had to *gently* hammer it out of its lock-piece. It bent so bad that it actually started to bend the grooves that the plate slides in. I'm surprised those didn't crack and shear off.

Like, that is a SERIOUS hit/drop/bang/fuckup for it to bend that bad. 3/4 casters were bent, and the remaining one is basically shot (bearings). Also, didn't notice in the pics before buying, but the little nuts that screw onto both 4 ohm jacks are missing and it appears the board inside may have slightly pushed in because there is barely any thread poking out of the holes. The 8 ohm one is fine though, and that's all I really need.

I did however take it to practice last night and try it out. Speakers all seem fine. It actually seems slightly darker than my shit 5150 cab with Sheffield speakers. Waiting to hear back from UPS and figure out when they can come inspect the thing.

Not to steal your thread but I had UPS fuck up not one but two focal twins. Luckily Vintage King took care of me.

Not stealing by any means. Should have named the thread "UPS HATE" haha.

Like 10 years ago I bought my Mesa Mark IV off eBay. It came in a crumbled up box, and the shipper actually shipped the tubes IN the sockets....which were all broken except for the preamp tubes. Aside from that, the amp was and still is in great condition. There was insurance on it and after contacting UPS and the shipper, it turned out that nothing got resolved. Luckily he shipped an extra set of power tubes with it so it wasn't such a big deal.

If you get a written quote from a repair shop that the tolex job+material will cost $300, you will likely get your money. You may have to pay for the quote if you don't intend to get the work done depending on the place.

going to just jump on the fuck UPS bandwagon for a second.

Like 6-7 years ago I sent an SPL mixdream for repairs to vegas from LA. I have to point out that it was a user error that caused damage to the mixdream as it comes up at the end of the story. Anyways, When the package came back from vegas (fixed I might add), Ups rolled up and did something truly amazing.

Guy walks up to the gated studio entrance, doesn't even ring the buzzer and just throws the mixdream over the fence which is about 7 feet high. Guy looks up and sees me standing not even 10 feet from the fence. and says "hello sir" and gets back in his truck and drives off. Not only could he not be bothered to ring the buzzer, but the package required a signature for delivery.

Long story short, filed a complaint with UPS, and won...eventually. It took a while to get it sorted, and had to jump through a lot of hoops like providing the security cam footage to prove the driver did in fact throw it over the fence (it's un canny how similar that video posted about was) but I think they settled for 250 dollars for cosmetic damage (casing/chasis bent a little).

I think this story is also a testament to SPL's build quality cause the unit functioned 100%, and that dude just bombed that shit over the fence.