Damian Wilson and Threshold!

Mac could take a long walk as far as I'm concerned. As Zod said, Damian has one of the finest voices in music today. Now only if i can get my hands on that Les Mis recording!!!

Threshold shot their load with Wounded Land; a prog metal classic. That is not to say that I don't enjoy later Threshold albums, but to even put Mac in the same league as Damian is laughable. Damian was and still is the right fit for the type of music Threshold plays.

I have the Threshold DVD, and I was ecstatic to hear some of the older songs being done like "Clear" from Extinct Instinct, but lets be honest, Mac does not do the song justice. Bring on Wilson!!! That would easily be the highlight of the weekend for me.

Mac could take a long walk as far as I'm concerned. As Zod said, Damian has one of the finest voices in music today. Now only if i can get my hands on that Les Mis recording!!!

Threshold shot their load with Wounded Land; a prog metal classic. That is not to say that I don't enjoy later Threshold albums, but to even put Mac in the same league as Damian is laughable. Damian was and still is the right fit for the type of music Threshold plays.

I have the Threshold DVD, and I was ecstatic to hear some of the older songs being done like "Clear" from Extinct Instinct, but lets be honest, Mac does not do the song justice. Bring on Wilson!!! That would easily be the highlight of the weekend for me.

Maybe Mac does not do the old Wilson songs justice, but I'm quite sure that Wilson would not do the Mac songs justice either...And as I prefer the Mac albums...

Hypothetical being the epitome Threshold album for me, this makes for uneasy news. I really like Damian...Extinct Instinct is my 2nd fav...but Mac has been in the saddle for awhile and has established himself as the voice.

Hypothetical being the epitome Threshold album for me, this makes for uneasy news. I really like Damian...Extinct Instinct is my 2nd fav...but Mac has been in the saddle for awhile and has established himself as the voice.
Yeah, I don't think this is any kind of a death sentence for Threshold, but it seemed they were on a bit of a roll of late, and I think having an established front man for several albums in a row was a big part of that.

If Mac leaves, and Wilson comes back on board full time they probably can keep the momentum going, but a lot of fans don't seem to think that Wilson would want back in full time. If they go with yet another new singer it will probably hurt the momentum they seemed to be building the past few years.

Personally I hope Mac and the band can come to a meeting of the minds, and get this train back on track.

Britt

Sure, Wilson is the better singer, but Mac's voice fits the recent material better. He's also been the singer on the bulk of Threshold's albums, so IMO, he's the voice of Threshold.

It's like Zod said. Labrie is better than Neil, but would you really want to buy tickets to a Crue show and find out that Labrie is standing in for Neil?

Hopefully Mac is the guy for Progpower, although methinks Glenn could pull off yet another coup by getting Wilson down here as well for a few songs.

Mac is indeed the voice of Threshold for me. I love each Threshold album, and I really believe that Damien Wilson is a terrific singer. I have nothing negative to say about his vocals whatsoever, and it's great that he is able to step it and do these shows.

However, over the course of the last 5 albums, I really feel that Mac's voice has become an integral part of Threshold's sound. Everything seems to have been going so well for them recently, and I think losing Mac now would be devastating. Certainly it would for me personally. Although it certainly doesn't look good now, I can only hope for the best - that he is ok, they get past whatever this is, and he is able to continue with Thrsehold.

Another Mac fan here. Wilson does have a great voice, but I love the recent Threshold albums and like Mac's voice for those songs.

As Shaye says, it might not mean Mac is out, so I guess we'll just wait and see.

Wilson performed the role of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables for two years. Do you know what kind of voice is required to play that role?
Zod

I'd go so far to say that most Broadway leads are better than most metal singers, in terms of pure vocal ability. Obviously that isn't an 'across the board' statement, but generally they have more range and more ability. (I saw Sebastian Bach in Jesus Christ, Superstar. He screamed really well, but couldn't do all the different vocal styles, and he used to have one of the best voices in metal).

Nonetheless, I'm hoping Mac is in there come Oct.

Steve in Philly

I'd go so far to say that most Broadway leads are better than most metal singers, in terms of pure vocal ability. Obviously that isn't an 'across the board' statement, but generally they have more range and more ability.
No doubt. When you go see something like Les Mis, you get to see just how exposed these folks are vocally. The vocals are so out in front, and you can hear everything they do with their voice. I've seen the lead role in Les Mis performed by three different vocalists. You have to have an absurd amount of talent to handle that role.

Zod

I'd go so far to say that most Broadway leads are better than most metal singers, in terms of pure vocal ability. Obviously that isn't an 'across the board' statement, but generally they have more range and more ability. (I saw Sebastian Bach in Jesus Christ, Superstar. He screamed really well, but couldn't do all the different vocal styles, and he used to have one of the best voices in metal).

Nonetheless, I'm hoping Mac is in there come Oct.

Steve in Philly
Which is why it was totally, utterly awesome to see Andy Kuntz of Vanden Plas perform the lead role in his metal opera, Abydos. Absolutely blew us away. :worship: He's definitely one vocalist whose got the talent to do metal and Broadway.
General Zod said:
When you go see something like Les Mis, you get to see just how exposed these folks are vocally. The vocals are so out in front, and you can hear everything they do with their voice.
Precisely. There was one point where Andy held this note for an eternity and literally brought me to tears, it was so beautifully well done and expressed such emotion in that one note.

Got a throw a plug in here; I've seen off-Broadway plays that had nothing on Abydos. The show needs to come to New York. Buy the Abydos DVD. It is excellent and you won't regret it.

ON TOPIC: I have to agree with adaher. Wilson is an excellent singer, but Mac is the voice of Threshold to me. Hope he returns soon.

Many metal vocalists are that talented, but unfortunately a whole bunch of very talented metal vocalists don't take care of their voices.

You'd think if your voice is your livelihood you'd take better care of it, but I guess too many of these guys don't think ahead.

Many metal vocalists are that talented, but unfortunately a whole bunch of very talented metal vocalists don't take care of their voices.

You'd think if your voice is your livelihood you'd take better care of it, but I guess too many of these guys don't think ahead.

Which is why I am SHOCKED that Russell Allen smokes. Don't the boy know what that does?

It's not really shocking, just something that makes you want to shake your head. Maybe living hard is fine for metal vocalists do more shouting and grunting than singing, buy guys like Russell Allen, Fabio Leone, and Roy Khan live off the subtleness and beauty of their voices as much as their ability to wail.

But then again, Leone and Khan have lost some range while Allen keeps on getting better. Maybe it's the brand.:)

All I know is that when Urban Breed and Timo Kotipelto(non-smokers) are 50, they'll still be top vocalists. Allen, Khan, and Leone? At least one of them is going to be out of gas, another will be less than he was, and the other(probably Allen) will be lucky.

I actually asked Jorn this very question (as he smoked away). He said a lot of European singers don't give up smoking, because it helps lend a raspy quality to their voice.

True, but both Jorn and Allen have many aspects to their voices, from smooth to raspy to growling. Eventually all they'll have is the raspy aspect.

I'd be ecstatic if Mac refused to play ProgPower and Damien Wilson took his place for that set! I do like Mac's vocals, don't get me wrong. And he is a good fit for Threshold. I also hope that everything is ok with Mac on a personal level. But, Damien Wilson has such a great powerful voice with range, that it would make Threshold's set all the more better IMHO! Damien Wilson is one of my favorite vocalists! I didn't know about the Les Mis gig for two years but, that doesn't surprise me. Hearing his vocals with Threshold is what got me into Threshold!

WTF!!!!!!!

I am absolutely floored - what the hell is THAT about??

I have really come to love Macs vocals - I would truly miss being able to see him live for the first time ever after missing their previous PP appearance.....

although Damian as a sub would be flat out amazing....... I mean damn (and I love that he would be willing to jump in like this to help out - way to go DW)

Actually I have loved everyone that has fronted Threshold, especially Glynn Morgan, as Psychedelicatessen is the album that REALLY got me into Threshold and his vocal work on that disc is just killer.

I just find myself worrying more about longterm implications for the band..... :erk:

No doubt. When you go see something like Les Mis, you get to see just how exposed these folks are vocally. The vocals are so out in front, and you can hear everything they do with their voice. I've seen the lead role in Les Mis performed by three different vocalists. You have to have an absurd amount of talent to handle that role.

Zod

Les Mis is my wife's absolute favorite show, so we've seen it seven or eight times, including once in Toronto with Colm Wilkinson. That guy was utterly amazing. Playing devil's advocate, though, I wonder how many Broadway stars could be metal singers? :heh:

Zod, given your stance on singers, I'm really surprised you aren't more of a fan of Falconer's Mathies Blad. Listen to a song like "Clarion Call" and you can feel the musical / metal fusion.

Finally, to not hijack this post and bring it back to Threshold, I thought about Mac's vocals some more. They are unique enough, and the songs seem to be written for his style. I'm sure others could sing them and I'd still like the music, but in this case, I think the vocalist helps make the song.

Steve in Philly