Damn, Finland is slowly gaining on the sturgiscore trend too :(

Even though I don't really consider myself much of a metalcore fan, at least I am aware that there was a time in metalcore before bands tagged as 'metalcore' were playing melodeath style riffs with poppy-ish choruses.
And hell, the melodeath influenced sound came before this recent surge of metalcore with electronica elements and sometimes a heavier emphasis on breakdowns.
Not all metalcore has this "gay" style of chorus clean vocals going on (and eh, fuck it, some of the melodic metalcore bands do have some good clean vocals going on if I must admit it, although the majority don't though), so it seems pretty apparent many people here are not familiar with the first wave bands in metalcore (which for the most part I think are the best metalcore bands anyway, far more integrity and soul than most of today's 'metalcore')

Periphery are most definitely a metalcore band, albeit a progressive metalcore band really. You'd have to be silly to think otherwise, because the metalcore elements are all over their songs.
-Core or not, I think they're a highly creative band that make great music which is far above the Attack Attack!, Sky Eats Airplane (the two bands I'd largely blame for that style of modern metalcore most of the guys here hate) and all these other electronica-metalcore bands.
I understand Jeff isn't much of a fan, and I'm not going to try to convince him Periphery is great

Yeah, I always associate metalcore with "metal meets hardcore", bands like Cataract and Most Precious Blood. Those were bands that I first heard the term used with, and I'm not at all aware of how it got associated with bands like Attack Attack in the first place, as I really can't see the hardcore connection there. Oh, well.

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary."

Circle of contempt are some pretty cool guys. My sister managed there tour when they were in the US a year or 2 back. Real down to earth dudes. They had a bit of a hard time understanding the US laws though lol.

Come on Jeff, what Gay elements to those bands have in their sound?

What cause the singer can hit notes that are high automatically makes it gay?

Sorry I guess bands that aren't gay only growl and scream like cookie monster on a binge......

You realize if that's the case then your band would be sitting amongst the "Gay" genre ....lol

EDIT:

Oh and for the record Periphery never had these so called Gay elements till they replaced their original singer ...lol

No, I bolded Periphery (and only Periphery) to say that only Periphery had gay elements of their music, and yes - I was DIRECTLY referencing Spencer in this case.

Great job putting words in my mouth to call my band gay, though - real mature!

actually I know many people who DO call the swedish melodeath Göteborgmetal.

But what I meant with sturgiscore is referring to the hyper-edited style of metal that he works with.

Yeah, and lots of people call a certain brand of thrash "bay area thrash" because that's where it comes from. Göteborgmetal ≠ Fredmandeath in this instance, your comparison makes zero sense.

I know what you were referring to, it's just getting old and inaccurate at this point.

I understand Jeff isn't much of a fan, and I'm not going to try to convince him Periphery is great

Again, only talking about Spencer. He ruins that band.

No, I bolded Periphery (and only Periphery) to say that only Periphery had gay elements of their music, and yes - I was DIRECTLY referencing Spencer in this case.

Great job putting words in my mouth to call my band gay, though - real mature!

Yeah, and lots of people call a certain brand of thrash "bay area thrash" because that's where it comes from. Göteborgmetal ≠ Fredmandeath in this instance, your comparison makes zero sense.

I know what you were referring to, it's just getting old and inaccurate at this point.

Again, only talking about Spencer. He ruins that band.

facepalm.gif

Dude just stop being a fucking NAZI .... Jeasus christ chill the fuck out. You take everything so fucking seriously. Take the fucking stick out of your ass and learn to laugh once in a while.

Jesus Christ ....

actually I know many people who DO call the swedish melodeath Göteborgmetal.

+1.
I had a guy come and live with us during the Summer that was from Göteborg, Sweden (excuse me if I didn't type it correctly) and once he heard my band and whatnot, he was like "Oh, so you guys play that Gothenburg metal, ehh?" (Granted, he said it like "Gothenburg" so as not to confuse us haha) and I was like "What in the world are you talking about?", and then he explained to me the whole nonsense of it all. Crazy even people from that area are starting to tag bands that aren't from Sweden as "Göteborgmetal".

I feel like Sturgis-core is a compliment. Is imitation not the greatest form of flattery? I'd be content knowing people around the world were trying to get their stuff to sound like my stuff.

In any case I'm liking that band Mokoma, thanks Jarkko.

Well ive always liked circle of contempt. Their previous band was kind of butt rock. But coc is good in my opinion. Those other bands were balls though. Except medeia, they sounded pretty cool, and the videos were funny.