So, the lifespan of the "sturgiscore"?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I was just looking back and thinking and am I the only one who has come to the conclusion that this "sturgiscore" aka christian metalcore/post-hardcore/metalcore/electronicore/crabcore/whatevs only has a few years to live until something else becomes the new hot shit? I mean, Joey will always be hot shit and adapt, but I'm talking about the bands itself that will change.

Some say that eighties metal has died too, but Mötley Crüe, Metallica and other big bands are still alive and kicking, but my point is the new shit that everybody and their cousin wants to do and piggy back to "become rich and famous", that they most likely never will. If we look at the retrospect of earlier metal trends:

Numetal: 1994-2006 (12 years), golden years 1997-2002 (5 years)

Where numetal came from was actually not from 1994, but before that. It basically started out when rappers started doing collaborations with rock and metal acts. Run DMC & Aerosmith (1986) was one of the first ones to do this, then pre-numetal bands that had similar elements came from funkmetal such as Faith No More (We Care A Lot 1985, Epic 1989), Red Hot Chili Peppers (Give It Away, 1991) and Rage Against The Machine that already was rap metal (1992 debut album), but not numetal. Tom Morello tuned to standard tuning, when the pinnacle of numetal guitar sound was down tuned guitars.

Then the first real pioneer bands came in 1993-1994 from the California metal scene (Korn, Deftones) and they basically played death metal riffs with 7 string guitars (listen to Korn - Blind (1994) and Fear Factory - Scapegoat (1992) and you might hear a similarity) combined with emotional "daddy issue" lyrics. At some point the rapping became more involved with numetal with big acts like Limp Bizkit (1994-), Slipknot (1995-) and Linkin Park (1996-), while other "more real metal" acts such as Sepultura, Machine Head and Fear Factory tried to stay afloat on the metaltrends and also dwell on the numetal scene in the 1996-2001 era until they all finally realized in the ~2002 era that numetal kinda sucks and returned to do what they really know how to do. Also after 2004 there was not a single "new" big name in numetal and it pretty much had died around that time.

I mean, if you don't believe me, then tell me what was the last numetal band that you know that was successful?

Metalcore/Melodeath/New Wave of American Heavy Metal: 1998-201x (13 years so far), golden years 2002-2008 (6 years)

Again the roots go way beyond 1998, since At The Gates started already in 1990, but I would still say it started at the high time of numetal scene, when the "more metal" guys thought it was shite and wanted to do some "real metal". For example Papa Roach and Chimaira started as numetal band (1998), but on the second albums (2002) they already started to do their own thing, Chimaira going for the New Wave of American Heavy Metal thing and Papa Roach going for the more rock orientated approach.

That 2002 was also when the melodic death metal / metalcore scene became big in the mainstream with bands like Killswitch Engage, Trivium and In Flames, even tho In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, Arch Enemy and other guys had that big Gothenburg metalscene thing in Sweden already in the early 1990's which basically was the same thing, except the metalcore thing came from american death metal + hardcore punk thing with breakdowns and stuff, when melodeath came from melodic metal + swedish death metal scene.

With exclusion of the big names, it's also pretty much dying out, even tho the bands playing that stuff don't want to believe it.

Then if we compare to the current crabcore trend: 2003-201x (8 years so far), golden years 2008-201x (3 years, but 5-6 years would be ~2013-2014)

Since this thing is basically just a subgenre of metalcore, some might say it has even less lifespan than I think. Some might also say it all started to become popular with The Devil Wears Prada's 2005 demo and Attack Attack's "Stick Stickly" (2008) was pretty much around the time that was the last straw where the subsequent use of Pod + Steven Slate Drums + autotuned singing + synth stuff + subdrops + running man and other "cool" dancemoves on metal what became known as "sturgiscore" on the Sneap forum (and crabcore on the mainstream), which almost became a taboo and a curseword on the Sneap forum. It also was one of the reason why this forum was born as it almost always caused massive flaming on the individuals asking for the "golden Sturgis tone".

So, in that retrospect, what band(s) or genres do you think will be the next big thing? And don't say djent, Meshuggah already started it in the mid 1990's and Bulb/Periphery brought it to US mainstream knowledge about 10 years later, so it will most likely die soon too. Any guesses, bands or music?

God, if Dubstep takes over I might have to shoot myself.

Well, dubstep in general isn't metal, but yeah, dubstep IN metal might be the next fucking awful thing (I mean, stuff like Korn + Skrillex - Get Up! or Emmure - Solar Flare Homicide). I think the first time I heard of dubstep was in 2005, but I know its origins go to like 1999-2002 or somewhere around that time, so in general now would be the middle of the golden years for it since I'm usually not on top of my game when it comes to pioneering genres, so I usually only hear about them either slightly before the golden years or during the golden years, so I give it about 3-5 years max.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwA5PLi6oTI&ob=av2e[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too soon to tell. I think "sturgiscore" is either at its prime right now in terms of ticket/record sales and popularity or it simply hasn't peaked yet. The reason being is that it just keeps growing in ticket/record sales every year consistently. Until you start seeing a significant drop in ticket/record sales, I don't think it's really possible to predict how long until it goes out of style. I also think the next big thing will be some of the same bands. They'll use the "sturgiscore" sound as their stepping stone for a support system of fans, and then branch out with a bigger producer to take it to the next level. For instance, Attack Attack! will be working with John Feldmann on their next album. Judging by the songs they recorded with him on their re-issue, I'd be really surprised if there weren't any songs that won't get radio play on the next release. They sound like a completely different band now and I think they're going to be very marketable in the mainstream. Also, just like Slate/Pod/Autotune is somewhat responsible for "sturgiscore", I think whatever new plugins come out will also be responsible for whatever new genre/bands happen. Just my 2 cents.

I also think the next big thing will be some of the same bands. They'll use the "sturgiscore" sound as their stepping stone for a support system of fans, and then branch out with a bigger producer to take it to the next level.

Actually now that I think of it and if you look at it, that's exactly what has happened before:

Metallica (1984-1991): 4 albums of thrash, then Black Album with totally different sound
Fear Factory (1989-2004): The band starts with 3 albums of death metal (concrete, soul of a new machine and fear is a mindkiller), then pioneered industrial metal in 1995 with Demanufacture, go to the 1998-2002 numetal phase and in 2004 return to the industrial metal thing
Machine Head (1994-2003): 1 album of groove metal, then 4 albums of numetal, then returning to groove/progressive metal with Through the Ashes of Empires
Chimaira (2000-2005): First 3 albums of numetal with Impossibility of Reason being a transitional album to New Wave of American Heavy Metal
Linkin Park (2000-2006): First 2 albums of numetal, then more rock orientated with Minutes to Midnight

So basically the bands have two choices: They either evolve with the music, or they quit or the continue doing what they do disregarding what the audience thinks. Being on a label usually the last one is not very wise tho IMHO.

edit: Who was the Joey Sturgis equivalent of the numetal era? Ross Robinson. Behold the selected Ross Robinson discography and you'll see what I mean:

Concrete - Fear Factory (1991)
Neidermeyer's Mind - Korn (1993)
Korn - Korn (1994)
Adrenaline - Deftones (1995)
Life Is Peachy - Korn (1996)
Roots - Sepultura (1996)
Three Dollar Bill, Yall$ - Limp Bizkit (1997)
Soulfly - Soulfly (1998)
Cold - Cold (1998)
The Burning Red - Machine Head (1999)
Slipknot - Slipknot (1999)
Relationship of Command - At the Drive-In (2000)
Iowa - Slipknot (2001)

But, you're taking when numetal was mainstream'd and not how long it took to get there.
Metalcore/Joeycore is just now hitting the major label markets these past few years, its just now on the rise and I dont see it stopping in 2013-2014.

When I said dubstep I was referring to stuff like this. Not so much dubstep in and of it's self but this type of stuff.

People are even starting to call bands from Rise records "Risecore." I don't get that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, you're taking when numetal was mainstream'd and not how long it took to get there. Metalcore/Joeycore is just now hitting the major label markets these past few years, its just now on the rise and I dont see it stopping in 2013-2014.

I thought I did? Numetal: 1994-2006 (12 years), golden years 1997-2002 (5 years)

If we calculate 1993 as the beginning of Korn, their debut album came out in 1994, which many consider as one of the first numetal records. Then in 1998 they had a huge hit with Freak On A Leash and Got The Life from the third album, Limp Bizkit became huge on their second and third album with Nookie and Break Stuff, which came out in 1999 and 2000, also Linkin Park hit it huge in their first album, which came out in 2000. So that would be about 4-6 years from the pioneers to mainstream. After 2004, 10 years after the pioneers, pretty much nobody signed any numetal bands anymore.

So hypothetically lets see TDWP as the starting point. First demo came out in 2005 and if look the album as the beginning of the "Sturgiscore" (man I hate that term), it came out in 2006, 5 years ago. And TDWP is now on Warner. If history repeats itself, as it tends to do, that would mean the major label interest point would be around this time, which means the majors will hoard even the most horrible bands of the genre (One Morning Left, Vampires Everywhere, Design The Skyline...) and it will last 3-5 more years tops until the market is oversaturated with it and then they move on to something else.

I don't see the point in trying to nail down a trend's downfall point.
Because we live in a different era now.
Think about the difference in culture, technology, social media, & marketing in the industry.
Hell, not just the industry but in everything.
The difference between past eras and the "2003-2013 era are vastly different. And the following decade will be even more crazy than the past.
Kids are growing up with exposure to music & art in a much different way than generations before.

I think it's going to be a bit unpredictable.

But what I am saying is, the golden year for sturgiscore isnt 2008. I would say its just now starting.
The bigger bands are just now getting on the radio and tv. So I would say that makes the starting point of the Golden years at 2011 but we can even say 2010 to make some happy.

Bands like Asking Alexandria, I See Stars and Breathe Carolina have just got on Jimmy Kimmel.
2008 was Plagues by Prada which is when you're saying the starting point is and we are comparing other starting points to Korn, Deftones, Linkin Park who all were on major labels and had radio play.
Prada just signed to a major label and has yet to have standard FM radio play. I just dont see the comparisons, at least not with the golden years of Sturgiscore in relation to the others.

since myspace is dead, it's much harder to get a bands name out, and therefore, its currently the bigger bands that are getting even bigger.

there's a million crabcore bands out now and its kind of hard to stick out.

so.. less people are going to local gigs, and because of this, i feel that the bands are going to die.. :)

I wish no style would go extinct. The more the merrier. I still listen to nu-metal and wish it'd be as big as it once were. Wouldn't itbe sweet to actually hear a lot of different styles on the radio? Personally I listen to music I find good. No matter what genre or how hip. If I get the vibe I'm going with it. I don't understand how so many old-school metal heads are so annoingly close minded especially about newer genres of metal. (Not referring to anyone spesificly ;)). I can't even count the times I've heard "Nu-metal isn't metal" or "Metalcore isn't metal". Just because one doesn't like a genre of metal doesn't take the metal away from the music. Just let the genre florish and listen to the music you like.

Um.. Got a little carried away. :D Anyways I hope the "sturgiscore" won't die. But band's still should do their own thing and not copy attack attack! (Somehow seems like attack attack! is the most copied sturgis produced band)

since myspace is dead, it's much harder to get a bands name out, and therefore, its currently the bigger bands that are getting even bigger.

there's a million crabcore bands out now and its kind of hard to stick out.

so.. less people are going to local gigs, and because of this, i feel that the bands are going to die.. :)

Not so true. Purevolume is really helping small, unsigned bands. It seems lots of unsigned bands are making the top ten in the charts. Plus, if they are willing to spend over $400 for a promo right on the site's homepage, that's definitely a huge help.

Purevolume has quickly replaced Myspace Music and has many new options Myspace has never had.

To add to this, 4 bands from my area were signed even though they played little to no live gigs, because labels noticed them making the charts. One example is That's Outrageous. I live near Poughkeepsie and I've actually met and hung out with their vocalist many times. He even came to a party I had at my apartment last November. It's amazing how quickly bands can get exposure.

I think the ADTR or like PTV style is going to become really popular, where it's mostly poppy stuff with heavy parts thrown in here and there. I know at least where I live that is a growing trend in local bands

I for one am all for it. My guitarist writes songs like ABR but in major keys and my vocalist sings over these riffs and stuff.

I also will add That I believe "breakdowns" are here to stay.