What will be the next big thing in metal?

I had high hopes for IDM, as it was largely undefined (many don't even like the umbrella term to begin with) and had a lot of overlap appeal into other areas but now everyone thinks fucking dubstep :yuk: is the bees knees for whatever reason, so yeah... not gonna happen.

:rolleyes: Wow... broad sweeping statement much, about a number of things (hip hop / metal / women / races). As a fan of all the aforementioned, I'd say that your attitude and those who subscribe to it is PRECISELY why stereotypes persist and metal struggles to gain general acceptance.

Metal, for one, is extraordinarily multinational, and therefore multicultural. From India to Brazil to freaking Iraq for Christ sakes. Hip hop is to, to a similar extent. NOT all hip hop is designed to simply to be danceable / all-sounds-the-same, just like not all metal is intended to sound like like Avenged Sevenfold shit on the radio... not to mention there are plenty of non-black hip hop artists out there killing it. I'd even wager that a good chunk of the ones are in fact, white :cool: (EL-P, Cage, Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Sage Francis, Slug... just off the top of my head). Problem is most regular metal fans know fuckall about hip hop, as most regular hip hop fans know fuckall about metal... and hip hop, for that matter.

All of the Above; well said my friend! :D

agreeing with Harvey here. more organic, more vibe, more emotion, but at the same time; 'heavier' than ever.

8-strings are also fast becoming the main axe of many bands, especially younger kids starting out. kinda like how it was when I was 16 and 7-strings were the new big thing, generally speaking.

i work in a music store and kids CONSTANTLY come in asking if we have an 8 (we did have the Ibby 8-string Prestige' at one point but it sold)....

sooooo, we have organic, vibey, groovey 8-string stuff..... yup.

also, speak and spell type vocal efx will be huge this year. And I may very well be the first to start the trend in metal, lol.

New School HC/metalcore will be the new thing. Starting right now.
Harvey and I talked about it on facebook. Its like in his hometown in the states and in my hometown in germany. Every band is doing it right now.

Then what CJ said. It will also be more honest, brutal and viby. I dont think the shadows are security rip-off bands will survive 2011....

I want us to get back to standard tuned riffage.

6 strings, plenty of frets still = almost limitless creativity.

i think thrash will have a nice comeback as far as the metal mainstream is concerned, but black metal is also on the rise.
and major +1 to the standard tuned riffage thing. i'm so sick of all the drop z# bullshit, it's gone from being new and heavy to boring and cliche as fuck, an since everyone and their mother tunes so low it's not even heavy anymore.
production wise, i think people will get sick of the cookie cutter stuff....hopefully.

No more guitars.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iqSUXYoVSI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

i think thrash will have a nice comeback as far as the metal mainstream is concerned, but black metal is also on the rise.
and major +1 to the standard tuned riffage thing. i'm so sick of all the drop z# bullshit, it's gone from being new and heavy to boring and cliche as fuck, an since everyone and their mother tunes so low it's not even heavy anymore.
production wise, i think people will get sick of the cookie cutter stuff....hopefully.

Guessing you've been living under a rock, but the thrash metal revival came like, 10 years ago dude and it hit some good mainstream popularity. It wasn't an entirely good thing anyway, since a good majority of the bands brought nothing new to the table. Basically just a ton of Testament, Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica rip offs really.
And anyway, if you can't find heaps of bands that aren't tuning stupidly low, it just sounds like you're not making any real effort to even look.
The vast majority of metal bands DON'T tune below B I'd imagine. Certainly the majority of the stuff I listen to it isn't below B.
And the tuning has nothing to do with the quality of the music either.
Plenty of bands tune to E standard and I hate their music. Plenty of bands use 8 strings with a low F# string and I love them

Guessing you've been living under a rock, but the thrash metal revival came like, 10 years ago dude and it hit some good mainstream popularity. It wasn't an entirely good thing anyway, since a good majority of the bands brought nothing new to the table. Basically just a ton of Testament, Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica rip offs really.
And anyway, if you can't find heaps of bands that aren't tuning stupidly low, it just sounds like you're not making any real effort to even look.
The vast majority of metal bands DON'T tune below B I'd imagine. Certainly the majority of the stuff I listen to it isn't below B.
And the tuning has nothing to do with the quality of the music either.
Plenty of bands tune to E standard and I hate their music. Plenty of bands use 8 strings with a low F# string and I love them

ok, nice post dude. i had a nice reply typed out but fuck it.
lemme just say that to my ears, B already sounds boring as fuck. i'd wish that more bands played in the eb-db range.
why? well, just try and write a generic metal song in B, and D. the way the tuning inspires the riffing is definitely amazing. try it out.