NEXT BIG BAND!

Killswitch & LoG aren't 1/10th as popular as those bands in their heyday. Never will be.

There are people who make thousands of dollars & all they do is sit in a room & calculate what the next trend is going to be, or what it should be according to how much it will be able to profit. I guess it's possible that eventually metal will hit the mainstream, but it won't happen this generation, or the next. Like I said, I think it will happen in 25-35 years... & even then I don't know if it will happen. There is obviously metal that is "popular" now but it's still nowhere near mainstream.

So being in the top 10 of the pop charts isn't mainstream to you? Metal might not dominate pop like glam did in the 80s, but to me anything in the top 10 is inescapably mainstream. I don't know if we'll ever be hearing a bunch of true metal on top 40 singles radio, but if things are going in that direction then I think it will happen sooner than 25 years from now, with bands like LoG in the top 10 albums chart. Also, that makes Lamb of God as popular as Metallica before And Justice For All.

People try to calculate the trends but they can never really figure it out.

if i had to say one band i'd say lamb of god, but they won't ever achieve the success of the 80s bands. a lot of the 80s bands were almost rockish, priest, maiden, queensryche, all those bands had a sort of catchy and mainstream element while at the same time being metal, even master of puppets is really polished and easily accessible. the growls in bands like lamb of god and heavy pounding riffs will probably turn away a lot of people, but they're still more accessible than something like behemoth. i can't ever see metal being as popular as it was back then but who knows, no one can really see or imagine something until it actually happens.

Lamb of God is also mostly appealing to rednecks, which are also obviously their target demographic, much like Pantera.

there was this band that had a hit when I was like 10. They were the most metal band I've ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many reasons for there being no next 'big band' in Metal, at least in the foreseeable future. First and foremost, the music industry and the culture in general has changed; musical trends have changed. There was a time when heavy metal was at the forefront in its heyday, so to speak, chiefly through its most accessible outlets. But it's old news now. Heavy metal for the mainstream is a relic from the past. Another reason why there will never be another big band is because metal has become increasingly inaccessible to the mainstream, and all of the new innovations in metal have leaned toward the side of further extremity and thus further alienation. I really don't think we'll ever see another Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. It's not about quality at all, it's about mass appeal.

This is mostly true, but the thing about it is that the mainstream culture has also moved further to an extent, alongside metal. When AC/DC came out they were heavy for anyone, let alone the mainstream. Today there are mallcore bands that tear that shit to bits with blastbeats (not that it's as good). The nu metal bands were heavy in their own way, and now metalcore is far more so than that, so the mainstream does seem to be embracing extreme music to an extent. Screamo isn't popular for nothing, these kinds of ides do have potential maisntream appeal. One need only take a look at Metalocalypse to see how much of a presence metal is starting to have in the mainstream world.

And on the other side of the spectrum metal also grows to embrace softness more, with bands like Agalloch and Alcest that can pass for indie rock, and bands like Burzum which get embraced by indie soundscape kids. There's a fair amount of crossover mass-appeal that some talented metal band could capitalize on right now.

I can't tell the future. But with bands like Lamb of God, Atreyu, and A7X making a very real standing in the mainstream world, I think the only thing that could stop another mainstream metal monster like Metallica from rising up is if one single band can't bring that many people together amongst conflicting scenes. More realistically I'd say we may never see another time when the popular bands are truly the innovators of the scene like Priest, Metallica etc. where. Although I guess the metalcore bands are innovative in their own way, just not in a way we respect.

bands like Burzum which get embraced by indie soundscape kids.....

I can't tell the future. But with bands like Lamb of God, Atreyu, and A7X making a very real standing in the mainstream world

I've never heard that Burzum were popular with Indie scene kids, but I don't know, so it may be true... I just have a really hard time believing Indie scensters dig Hvis Lyset Tarr Oss...

LoG & Atreyu aren't shit, the only one of those bands really making news is A7X, & they're arguably not even metal.

I think the charts disagree... We even have a top 40 station called B94 in Pittsburgh that plays Atreyu. Though it's in their character to play the same 4 songs for three days and then spin some wild tracks.

I don't remember who but someone on here once said something along the lines of "I'm sick of artsy fucks commenting on my Burzum shirts." I can see the connection. But then again when someone says they like Radiohead I say "I'm not a big fan, but hey I like Burzum!" They either say "Uhh... that fucked up death metal band? No thanks." or "Who the hell is Burzum?" So...

I think it's normal that we won't see death metal band or black metal band on the top of the world charts because these kind of metal is not for the masses. Anyway when for example we had the first Hammerfall everyone was saying they would have been the next big thing because even if they played something old the songs where great and catchy.I'm not saying Hammerfall are great like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest but just that even if you play an old kind of metal with no innovation you can do something good.Metal people know what is good and what is bad.I don't know when but soon we will have a new wave of fuc***g great bands or maybe I hope so!:headbang: