Guitarists- Will mic'ing a cab be a thing of the past?

I feel that impulses sound correct tonally but lack in depth. I just can't get that 3D feel using them. That said amp modeling and impulses are indispensable to me during tracking and count me in on a recabinet purchase if they are universal to most impulse plugins.

Recabinet will work with Voxengo, SIR II, Altiverb, and Revalver so far. It may also work with keFIR but I've not tested that yet. And I don't think you'll have any problems getting the 3D feel with it. :cool:

You asked "for playing live"?

I don't think so.

Recording? Maybe, they might get there. Do I think we are there now? Nope, we are close though.

Yeah, it was mainly aimed at playing live.

I guess the best idea would be to take both signals, mic'd and DI'd (+ impulsed) and blend em.

Who knows, I'm just over htinking/

you're crazy, the day i cant fall in love with speakers is the day i die.

the only thing i use impulses for is writing, load up revalver and write a song and reamp with the real thing.

for live, where are all the midget roadies going to work with no gear to haul?

I don't think so. I still have wet dreams about being able to mic a 5150 again. Oh god, I'm about to rub one out right now.

... Splat :lol:

I do get way too excited when it comes to mic'ing cabs up, so I wouldn't wanna throw that away. Doing my own recording is still a new concept to me, though, so I have high hopes of getting better.

The sound of all those amp sims, impulses is great, I just miss the feel when i'm playing them, a tube amp still reacts differently and is just more fun to play.

If you look at the recorded results i don't think it matters that much anymore.

but live i'd want that feel of the tube amp.

I found something pretty cool the other day. I think this could be a big missing link in the amp-modeling/impulse using days we are in now. seems like a pretty neat little plugin, i haven't tried it though.

http://softube.com/acoustic_feedback.php

I thought the same thing! And then I bought it... I have to say it was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a plugin.

The sound of all those amp sims, impulses is great, I just miss the feel when i'm playing them, a tube amp still reacts differently and is just more fun to play.

If you look at the recorded results i don't think it matters that much anymore.

but live i'd want that feel of the tube amp.

Recabinet won't replace tubes. The demo on the Recabinet site was recorded with an ENGL e530 tube preamp. I have yet to hear tube emulation that comes close to the real thing (although Revalver Mk III is pretty convincing, especially when used with Recabinet impulses.)

However, with a tube preamp (such as the ENGLs, Mesa Triaxis, Randall RM4, etc.) paired up with Recabinet impulses, the feeling to me is exactly the same as playing through the speaker cab itself - actually better, since you're getting the microphone's perspective rather than the perspective of your ears. And I don't know anyone who puts their ear right up on the speaker like an SM57. :lol:

About the depth-thing...
I think the disadvantage is that no air get's moved with the IR. the frequencies are fine, but it's static and therefor more invariant sounding as the real deal. Dynamic convolution would be the key, or something that emulates the moving of the speaker.

maybe there's just a dimension missing. every second of guitar is edited by an impulse which is only one instant long. maybe if you had several common impulses which edit the guitar tone randomly, like you have with several drum samples, or sth., it would get realer.
on the other hand maybe I'm talking garbage ;)

maybe there's just a dimension missing. every second of guitar is edited by an impulse which is only one instant long. maybe if you had several common impulses which edit the guitar tone randomly, like you have with several drum samples, or sth., it would get realer.

already possible with the axe-fx!;)

Recabinet won't replace tubes. The demo on the Recabinet site was recorded with an ENGL e530 tube preamp. I have yet to hear tube emulation that comes close to the real thing (although Revalver Mk III is pretty convincing, especially when used with Recabinet impulses.)

However, with a tube preamp (such as the ENGLs, Mesa Triaxis, Randall RM4, etc.) paired up with Recabinet impulses, the feeling to me is exactly the same as playing through the speaker cab itself - actually better, since you're getting the microphone's perspective rather than the perspective of your ears. And I don't know anyone who puts their ear right up on the speaker like an SM57. :lol:

Nice :headbang:

Another future purchase to my studio :D

I've overcome this with Recabinet, although I can't divulge how. I will be putting out some free demo impulses for you all to check out soon and I will post them in a new thread to judge for yourselves and make clips with.

That's good to hear. I really look forward to those demos.

I think if what Shane is suggesting he's done is actually possible then I definitely see mic'ing cabs in the studio as becoming obsolete for a lot of people. Why fiddle with the hassle of mic'ing a cab (time consuming process) when you can simply pull one up on the spot mic'ed in the 'ideal' spot? Cuts down time in the studio, which ultimately cuts the client's costs. As impulses are at the moment, I wouldn't use them in place of real cabs. The technology has to improve that last 10% or so.

I think if what Shane is suggesting he's done is actually possible then I definitely see mic'ing cabs in the studio as becoming obsolete for a lot of people. Why fiddle with the hassle of mic'ing a cab (time consuming process) when you can simply pull one up on the spot mic'ed in the 'ideal' spot? Cuts down time in the studio, which ultimately cuts the client's costs. As impulses are at the moment, I wouldn't use them in place of real cabs. The technology has to improve that last 10% or so.

mm, i'm not sure i agree with that. i mean albums are still being tracked to tape these days on old analog consoles. i think a problem that could occur with impulses if they became a standard in recording is that everything you hear would just start sounding the same, because everyone is just using the same damn impulses. at least with micing you get slight variations between different recordings even if the same equipment is used because the mic is never in the exact same place. but i can see your point as well.

Sorry to hijack, but Shane what preamps and converters have you got lined up for Recabinet? It would be cool to have a choice of different preamps aswell as mics. And also with the gain of the amps, it would be cool to have impulses made from various volumes on the amps poweramp (and varying mic pre input gains/impedances etc).

Wouldn't that just give way too many versions with mild variations at best?

I'd much rather he just focus on getting the very *best* chain possible and something more qualitative like the actual microphone positioning.

@paladin: Many people just use the same drum samples. It's fairly natural to assume guitars would follow a similar path. It's all about convenience and doing things quickly on a very small budget these days. Not having to mic a cab with the power amp on '10' would do wonders for many bedroom producers. I can imagine load boxes would become a lot more popular, and we'd all start paying a lot more attention to FX loop quality. The people still dealing with analogue I'd imagine to be a very small minority right at the top, who can still justify the maintenance/operational fees of analogue gear.