Guitarists- Will mic'ing a cab be a thing of the past?

mm, i'm not sure i agree with that. i mean albums are still being tracked to tape these days on old analog consoles. i think a problem that could occur with impulses if they became a standard in recording is that everything you hear would just start sounding the same, because everyone is just using the same damn impulses. at least with micing you get slight variations between different recordings even if the same equipment is used because the mic is never in the exact same place. but i can see your point as well.

in fairness, doesn't everyone already sound the same because they're all using the same damn amps?

in fairness, doesn't everyone already sound the same because they're all using the same damn amps?

i think that is a very fair statement. i mean most everyone on this forum swears by the 5150, i know many of my favorite bands/producers using them. in fact i recently just bought a 6505+ so it would be pretty hypocritical of me to start ragging on bands all using the same amp. but since i got it i have noticed something. i absolutely love the sound of the amp compared to my old crate combo amp i was using, but when i play my old riffs i wrote on my crate amp it sounds a lot like a fucking in flames riff. so even though i have much better sound than i used to, it's still not the most original.

Meh, cab and mic choice can make the 5150 capable of MANY different sounds. Oh yeah, and guitar/pickup choice, but I'm of the firm belief that those make differences in the coloration of a tone, rather than changing the tone entirely, which only an amp and anything after it is capable of doing IME.

reason I don't use impulses is because I dont have any software I can use them with and I always move the mic to get the tone I'm after. Micing the cabs half the fun isn't it? Actually the waves guys have been wanting to come over to take impulses from all the gear here.

Andy you don't have Waves IR-1 or L in your stash of plugs? Well, put it this way... if you had a plug-in to use them in, and you took the time to make impulses of the cabs, mics, preamps and positions you would like, would you use it then?

~006