The next trend . . .

What's next?

• Slocore (Isis, Cult of Luna, Mouth of the Architect, etc.)

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Bedroom Black Metal (Xasthur, Leviathan, Nasheim, etc.)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Mathcore (Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Deathcore (The Red Chord, Black Dahlia Murder, Etc.)

• Instrumental (Dysrhythmia, Pelican, Red Sparrowes, etc.)

• Total voters

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
In the few years that I've been recieving promos, I've noticed 2 maybe 3 trends come and go. At first my promos were primarily shitty power metal. That could be because I didn't have very many connections at the time. Eventually melodic death metal became the dominate thing. Now screamo/metalcore is by far the dominate thing. I get promos from many labels, and Metal Blade is even jumping on this metalcore thing. I think it is safe to say that whatever promos I recieve probably reflects what's popular with the youngsters at the time.

So what will be the next big thing. I've already started to notice a small trend in one of the categories on my poll. But what do you think?

This makes me think that Napalm Records recently signed a metalcore act. How pathetic is this?

Next trend? No idea, no interest to know.

[EDIT]Where's thy poll?[/EDIT]

Slowcore is already regarded as trendy if you ask me . So is mathcore , but it requires higher instrumental skill so forget about clones.DEP & co. are hype and so what?

Some BM is very praised but only in small circles .

Lethal are the next trend.

Nate The Great said:
Metal Blade is even jumping on this metalcore thing.

Nate, they jumped on this 2 years ago. The real metal bands they have are just a side dish now (Amon Amarth, King Diamond, & Bolt Thrower). For the last 2 years, it's all been As I lay Dying and Black Dhalia Murder type bands. Oh and for obvious $ reasons, they still push Six Feet Under like there's no tomorrow.

Of all the 'big' underground labels, Metal Blade have the absolute worst (and one-sided) roster of bands, where once they reigned supreme.

EDIT: FORGOT PRIMORDIAL!!! That won't last....

If I had to choose one, I'd go with "Slocore" or whatever the fuck that is. And that's just because the others are less likely.

Otherwise I think we're stuck with "stage 2 OzzFest" type bands for the next 24 months.

JayKeeley said:
If I had to choose one, I'd go with "Slocore" or whatever the fuck that is. And that's just because the others are less likely.

Otherwise I think we're stuck with "stage 2 OzzFest" type bands for the next 24 months.

I'm assuming you've noticed this move over the past couple of years with your promos . . . from melodic death to metalcore.

I'll try to find a picture to illustrate just how far out of control this metalcore thing is getting.

Bedroom black metal is too much a parody of itself. There's no future in it.

However, since last year and particularly since Deathspell Omega made marked their territory, I've noticed a steady rise of "orthodox black metal". Could this be the wave of the future?

This is the best I could find of this band. I've never heard them, but JUST LOOK AT THIS PICTURE! Look how hard they are trying to look the part of a screamo band. They just bought and ironed those clothes. Those hair-dos must have taken hours. That fat guy needs a larger shirt. What's this thing with the hair combed over one eye in the front and sticking up in the back? They don't do that in Kansas.:loco:
profile.jpg

Nate The Great said:
I'm assuming you've noticed this move over the past couple of years with your promos . . . from melodic death to metalcore.

I'll try to find a picture to illustrate just how far out of control this metalcore thing is getting.

Yeah, but with all due respect, we've been bitching about this for the last year or so. Where the heck have you been?! :tickled:

I see the future and it does not look bright. I'm happy for my tastes to remain stagnant, or better yet, devolve. :loco:

Deathcore seems to be the most overexposed of those genres right now, and has the highest differential between actual innovators and disposable imitations. I have to call bullshit on instrumental (note that the examples used sound nothing alike), and bedroom black metal, a term that implies incompetence, which Xasthur and Leviathan certainly are not. That doesn't excuse all you people who think that toilet bowl production is the easiest route to grimness...

Nate The Great said:
This is the best I could find of this band. I've never heard them, but JUST LOOK AT THIS PICTURE! Look how hard they are trying to look the part of a screamo band. They just bought and ironed those clothes. Those hair-dos must have taken hours. That fat guy needs a larger shirt. What's this thing with the hair combed over one eye in the front and sticking up in the back? They don't do that in Kansas.:loco:
profile.jpg

HAHAHAHA THAT BAND, they wore those exact same clothes when I saw them open for SYL

same tight shirt on the big guy and all

except for that one skinny fellow, who everyone thought was a girl, until he took his shirt off :ill:

That band pic is hilarious.

I don't know, other than a few bands from "Slocore" and "instrumental", I'm not really a fan of any of those. I hated The Red Chord, what overhyped shit. "Mathcore" might as well be called Borecore with all those math bands. Bedroom black metal? What is that, this recent surge of black metal about how crappy some people's lives are?

I guess i'll vote Slocore, since I hear about a new Neurosis or Isis clone every week. And I still don't liek Cult of Luna. Mouth of the Architect was class, though.

Nate The Great said:
What's this thing with the hair combed over one eye in the front and sticking up in the back? They don't do that in Kansas.:loco:

That's emo scum for you :puke:

I think 'mathcore' is the dumbest name for a genre ever. They don't sing songs about quadratic equations, so what the hell has maths got to do with stop-start-stop-start nonsense? :err:

Ayeka said:
I think 'mathcore' is the dumbest name for a genre ever. They don't sing songs about quadratic equations, so what the hell has maths got to do with stop-start-stop-start nonsense? :err:

Because they're like, oh-so-technical in their scales and polyrhythms and shit.