Is black metal the new metalcore?

J. said:
But seriously, I'm always open for suggestions. Like Watain. Are these guys really awesome? Or is this a case of "heard it before"?

OMG!

You need Watain 'Casus Luceferi'! It has an old school feel, but TRUST ME, it is fresh and invigorating. You would love it. I guarantee it. No avant garde at all. Pure black metal. Not that brutal as hell stuff either. GREAT, GREAT album. I wish you would get it right now.

Nate The Great said:
My point is that black metal is getting bigger and bigger each year. Its at least heading the way of death metal in the early to mid 90's.

See, black metal has been the biggest (as in 'sheer quantity') sub-genre of underground metal for the last 10 years or so anyway. It's just that the 'overground' labels are only now beginning to take notice. Unlike melo-death and metalcore, BM was pretty much already established with its own audience.

Plus don't forget 'credibility' -- it appears that the mainstream & corresponding labels think that there's some worthiness in being attached to the lower levels of the underground. Kids are looking at pictures of Trivium and wondering who the heck this "Darkthrone" band is....so the labels are only too ready to oblige.

Luckily I think there's plenty of talent and originallity in black metal, so I don't see it dying out like death metal kind of did.

I think there's too much depth to BM for it to become so popular. Most popular metal is pretty 2-dimensional, death metal included.

Another thing about marketing BM to the masses: it just doesn't work as well in a live environment. All the small nuances, the ambience, and yeah even the production all go out the window when played on stage. I suppose this might not apply to modern punk/BM sound a la Darkthrone, Vreid, etc.

Who fucking cares, if it's becoming the new metalcore then it's peaking in popularity right now and will die out again soon.

He had flamboyant tattoo's, a shirt that was 2 sizes too small, glasses that were fogged by a teary mist, and he walked with a strut that reminded me of a Greco-Roman Bachelor party. What more evidence do I need?

emo kids don't wear xasthur shirts, he could be writing love notes to ian mackaye and beating off to a my chemical romance video and he's still just a standard-issue dipshit

I didn't mean to offend any hardcore Xasthur fans. Don't get your pink undies in a bunch. But believe me this guy was gayer than the sun is bright. Malefic would of sent this guy packing to Hollywood and Vine himself if he had bare witness.

what kind of a world are we living in when a perfectly decent indie fruit is mistaken by meatheads for an emo faggot