Metalcore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powers

Good Morning USA!
Nov 7, 2005
Sunderland, U.K.
www.rackaforum.com
I think it's just Nu Metal with a superiority complex. Think about it, Nu Metal was metal guitar melodies and such with punk brum and bass line and hip hop production. Now minus the hip hop production, metalcore is still just a mix of hardcore and metal, well hardcore is just a more in your face varitey of punk and the metal they've mixed it with is starting to lean more toward death metal or black metal (eg. Heaven Shall Burn) but it's still metal and punk. Don't get me wrong I don't mind it, I've been getting into a bit of Throwdown today, but this just came to me, if it's nu metal just admit it's new metal.

Opinions anyone?

I was under the impression that it was mainly melodic deathmetal which they drew the metal side from. Most of the guys are pretty big into lead playing, but they also like their hardcore breakdowns.

It's basically just a rehash of two genres, except welded together.

It is mainly mellow death (i should have been more specific sorry) but if you listen to stuff like Heaven Shall Burn it's taken a lot more from black metal, afterall they did name themselves after a Marduk album so it's clearly quite a big influence. I used to not like it, but i'm getting quite in to it now. It still just seems like ultra heavy nu metal.

I was watching the Killswitch Engage DVD the other day. I don't know. To me the music is just empty and hollow. It relies on that Sneap-esque production to get it by. I just don't see any substance to the song writing. To me it's just a cheap imitation of what came before.

Well.. I feel it's much the same...
But the MC bands that stand out are the ones that sound different, like Bleeding Through. The guitar sound really sort of rips.
But I don't really know much about the genre.

Its the followers that are annoying. If they just expanded their horizons a little bit they could get into some more original sort of bands. But they love the tight clothes and fringes. If metal bands wore that sorta stuff they would love it instantly. Its all about the image.

affinityband said:
Its the followers that are annoying. If they just expanded their horizons a little bit they could get into some more original sort of bands. But they love the tight clothes and fringes. If metal bands wore that sorta stuff they would love it instantly. Its all about the image.

100% right

one of my brother's favorite bands is killswitch engage. if that doesn't say much to you, I got him a jeff buckley cd and he said that was awful, along with all the opeth stuff I've shown him. I won't even let him hear porcupine tree since he's enough of a disgrace to himself and good music in general as it is.

Some of the bands are okay. Some just suck. It Dies Today, Throwdown, Norma Jean, and Atreyu are just a few that suck really bad.

Some Metalcore is okay though. As I Lay Dying can be pretty awesome sometimes. And Between The Buried And Me is more Progressive Death Metal, but you can still hear a bit of a metalcore influence in them..

These pathetic bands try to glorify their Pepsi-fied version of darkness, where infact the darkest they get is the same shade of Kelly Osbournes fishnets (bad visualisation).

Its yet another attempt to capitalise on rock music and in 12 months time no one will take any notice of these kinds of bands, they will all fade and vanish because another fad will have replaced them.

What makes me laugh most of all is that these fucking idiots choose to be in these manufactured groups when they realise their popularity will be so short lived and that halfway through it all they will become the laughing stock of the musical public.

The eyeshadow, those fucking stupid tight jeans and pink fucking loafers, please - can none of these idiots realise how stupid they really look and sound?

Not to mention the band names:

Heaven Shall Burn - into what? do these idiots have any historical or book reading abilities for their teeenaged outlook at all?

As I Lay Dying - from what... your last breakup with the girl who happened to be your first pash? Fucking grow up.

Between The Buried And Me - lies a pair of my skintight jeans and white poofy sneakers. Fuck off.

You want darkness? Then go and listen to Deathspell Omega. Black Metal and intelligently researched!!

The Hubster said:
What makes me laugh most of all is that these fucking idiots choose to be in these manufactured groups when they realise their popularity will be so short lived and that halfway through it all they will become the laughing stock of the musical public.

you make it seem like they should care. metalcore is just another genre. its no better or no worse. "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" <-one of my favorite quotes.

you don't like the music...but man, that doesn't make you better than those who do.

plus, its just music. if their music was killing people, that would be a good reason to despise and make fun of it.

i think metalcore, like other more popular genres, serve a good purpose in getting fans that otherwise wouldnt be into metal, getting into heavier territory that maybe in a few years will lead them to better bands.

Pethical said:
i think metalcore, like other more popular genres, serve a good purpose in getting fans that otherwise wouldnt be into metal, getting into heavier territory that maybe in a few years will lead them to better bands.

in hindsight, this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.