Is black metal the new metalcore?

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I can usually base trends in metal by the promos I recieve. A few years ago it was all melodic death metal. Then it was metalcore. Now I'm getting BY FAR more black metal than anything else. See my Octagon review for an example of the pathetic crap that some labels are scooping up in an attempt to cash in.

Of course I can never see black metal getting quite as big as metalcore, but look at a few of this years big releases.

Satyricon and Darkthrone for example.

Living in America, I probably don't get the same perspective, but I can see these two bands getting some attention from the teeny boppers. The new Darkthrone is very easy on the ears, and I think its just waiting to be spread amongst the kiddies. I don't expect it to be like Shadows Fall or anything, but I can see it getting around. Same with the new Satyricon.

I really don't care if all this happens, but I just find it interesting that black metal is taking off so much lately. Southern Lord is releasing WAY more black metal than doom now.

A bunch of you will probably skip most of what I wrote and you'll say something like, "I don't think black metal will ever be as big as metalcore," or "I don't think black metal is nearly as big as metalcore," or "I finger my asshole in the shower." My point is that black metal is getting bigger and bigger each year. Its at least heading the way of death metal in the early to mid 90's. Luckily I think there's plenty of talent and originallity in black metal, so I don't see it dying out like death metal kind of did.

I touch myself in the shower.

Yeah, black metal is becoming 'cool' and 'in'. Bummer, now whenever you talk about a black metal band they'll think gabout some gay faggage shit.

Black Metal is the new nu-metal, as in kids these days in America listen to it to be little rebels and scare their parents, when really they are just retarded.

Yep, that's why the latest Deathspell Omega album sold 10 million copies worldwide.

and all the anti-trend idiots who will start bashing even the quality black metal bands, but what the fuck are people like that worth anyway?

Demilich said:
and all the anti-trend idiots who will start bashing even the quality black metal bands, but what the fuck are people like that worth anyway?

Darkthrone is the only band really I can think of that semi-sort-of-maybe would fit into that catagory. Most bands that get bashed by "anti-trend idiots" really do suck. A lot.

KILL TULLY said:
Darkthrone is the only band really I can think of that semi-sort-of-maybe would fit into that catagory. Most bands that get bashed by "anti-trend idiots" really do suck. A lot.

That's pretty true, but all it really indicates is that the trends tend to give unwarranted exposure to shit bands.

Pathetic black metal signings by stupid label managers is no new phenomenon, I'd like to add. Apart from that I have not the smallest idea how the headlines of the magazines are split out these days in terms of stylistic families and the fuck if I care.

Ellestin said:
Pathetic black metal signings by stupid label managers is no new phenomenon, I'd like to add.
Agreed, actual black metal (not gay fag shit like the new Satyricon and Darkthrone) will never be accepted in the mainstream like metalcore. But of course there's always a sector of black metal fans who are complete retards and scenesters. (see: http://blackmetal.co.uk or http://www.fmp666.com)

jimbobhickville said:
So, the real question is, do most people just listen to black metal because it's so obscure? If not, then it rising in popularity shouldn't have much meaning, except for the annoying influx of wannabes.

And people having an incorrect perception of the genre, but that happens with just about everything. I don't think BM itself is becoming trendy (unless you count the usual targets of ridicule like Dimmu), only the imagery associated with it

Black Metal is easily conquering my collection as of late. Thanks to a few in this forum, and searching old threads through MA and yes even ANUS, I've found some jewels.

I honestly don't know if black metal is becoming a trend because I don't really pay attention to the the "in" bands or really many of the newly formed bands or the overhyped bands. Drudkh, Hellveto, Woodtemple being exceptions.

But seriously, I'm always open for suggestions. Like Watain. Are these guys really awesome? Or is this a case of "heard it before"?