'Tis the season for black metal!

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I thought I'd mention that listening to black metal is much easier in Kansas than in California. Sunshine and hot women isn't exactly a proper atmosphere for black metal. Luckily I'm now in an area of VERY few people, brutal Midwestern weather, and dark (no city lights) nights.

Anyway, I recently recieved some promos from Candlelight:

Red Harvest - Internal Punishment Programs

Hecate Enthroned - Redimus

Damnation - Destructo Evangelia

While the Red Harvest is better than average, I am not so sure what I think of Hecate Enthroned. However, the big surprise is Damnation. Black metal fans of Bathory, Darkthrone, and the other old school types should pay attention. Very little can be found out about this band (from what I can tell), but they have members of Entombed, Merciless, and Unanimated. They are VERY good, IMO.

Just thought I'd share that. What other black metal releases have been tickling your tits this year. Oh . . . and I do have Drudkh. More on that later.

That Red Harvest is not what I expected. Gone are the "industrial" and ambient moments of their last few. This one is a lot more straight-up metal. It's good, but I wanted another Hybreed.

Black metal I'm listening to currently is Hate Forest mostly. Occasionally some Obtest and Nachtfalke

Nate The Great said:
However, the big surprise is Damnation. Black metal fans of Bathory, Darkthrone, and the other old school types should pay attention. Very little can be found out about this band (from what I can tell), but they have members of Entombed, Merciless, and Unanimated. They are VERY good, IMO.
If the band is from Sweden you can just assume Peter Stjärnvind is the drummer and you'll be right in at least half the cases. Thanks for the tip, I have to find something of theirs somehow.

I was in the mood for In the Nightside Eclipse last night, I still don't like it.

Rearranged a CD wallet thingy for the black metal season, chock full of Burzum, Drudkh, Blut Aus Nord, Helheim, Empyrium, a few others, and... Pink Floyd.

I was listening to Dawn ("Slaughtersun") on the way into work this morning. I've also got some Taake, Dissection, and Hades with me.

One Inch Man is a fag for not liking Nightside Eclipse. Dude, do this: turn out the lights, slam on the headphones, and crank the volume. The beauty is hidden so deep within, you have to unlock it. And when you do, you'll be trapped in a tower of ice!

:kickass:

I'm always in the mood for Dawn of the Dying Sun.

Wasn't Dawn suppose to release a new album like 2 years ago?

JayKeeley said:
One Inch Man is a fag for not liking Nightside Eclipse. Dude, do this: turn out the lights, slam on the headphones, and crank the volume.
I so god damn did this last night! I did like it more than usual, but still thought "meh" after about 3 tracks.

I have more hope for BWD getting ItNE than for One Inch Penis. One Inch Penis does not live in black metal friendly territory. Nonetheless, he DID get Blut Aus Nord. So I have to give him props for that. PROPS, YO!

Of course Watain must be heard by everybody here. Truly a black metal band firmly rooted in the past, but moving forward nonetheless. Think of the coldness of early Emperor and Immortal combined with some Dissection type riffs.

Nate The Great said:
Of course Watain must be heard by everybody here. Truly a black metal band firmly rooted in the past, but moving forward nonetheless. Think of the coldness of early Emperor and Immortal combined with some Dissection type riffs.
DMDS is the first album I would mention when describing Casus Luciferi. They feel alike and I am certain the Watain-boys have listened to it a fair bit too.

EDIT. me missed an S

JayKeeley said:
IThe beauty is hidden so deep within, you have to unlock it. And when you do, you'll be trapped in a tower of ice!
Speaking as someone whose actually been trapped in a tower of ice, I can tell you from personal experience, it's not much fun and it's quite chilly.:loco:

Zod

OK. This is all I can find on Damnation so far:

damnation-small.jpg

Remember the classic Black Metal albums that were the epitome of extreme music? “I.N.R.I.” by Sarcofago, & ”The Return” by Bathory was satans music incorporated. It was real, raw and satanic and Damnation are damned to deliver the goods once again. The album "Destructo Evangelia" will be released 23rd of August in Scandinavia,6th of September in Europe & 7th of September in USA, Canada & Mexico.

I've emailed the label rep that sends me this stuff in regards to getting an mp3 to link or something.

Otherwise I might have to upload one or something.

Note that the cover picture is in the The Return... booklet (and it's also the cover of Morannon's The Coming of our Armageddon demo)
I MUST hear these fellas, the more I hear about them the better they seem.

Nate:

I didn't say I don't think ItNE is fucking great... but for some reason it feels that I'm loving spereate elements of the music and not really grasping the full coherent piece. I guess I just need to try listening to it stoned out of my mind... maybe I'll find a way "Into the Infinity of Thoughts".

Also, Watain's "Casus Luciferi" is possibly the coldest album I've ever heard. It makes a summer eve seem icy.

Black Winter Day said:
Nate:

I didn't say I don't think ItNE is fucking great... but for some reason it feels that I'm loving spereate elements of the music and not really grasping the full coherent piece. I guess I just need to try listening to it stoned out of my mind... maybe I'll find a way "Into the Infinity of Thoughts".

Also, Watain's "Casus Luciferi" is possibly the coldest album I've ever heard. It makes a summer eve seem icy.
You have Watain? That's cool.

ItNE was probably the first cold, grim black metal album I owned. So it has a special place in my heart. It's really hard for me not to like it simply based on that. Genre-introduction albums are always "the best" no matter what anybody can tell you.