The next trend . . .

What's next?

• Slocore (Isis, Cult of Luna, Mouth of the Architect, etc.)

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Bedroom Black Metal (Xasthur, Leviathan, Nasheim, etc.)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Mathcore (Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Deathcore (The Red Chord, Black Dahlia Murder, Etc.)

• Instrumental (Dysrhythmia, Pelican, Red Sparrowes, etc.)

• Total voters
Yes math refers to the technicallity in which the riffs (time signature, tempo, etc.) are constructed in coordination with the song. It's hit or miss with most people.

I'm guessing slocore (never heard of that term before), I've noticed lots of Neurosis type bands getting "popular" over the last few years.

Bedroom black metal has always and will always be around, no more or less popular than before. That subgenre frustrates me because it enjoys stagnation, but can still put out high quality stuff.

Mathcore (probably the second time I've said this) bands like Meshuggah, DEP, etc. are too difficult for trendy teenagers to copy so that subgenre will probably remain small and relatively decent to high quality. Unless of course you aren't into that thing, in which case it's all shite. MorAns. :loco:

I think deathcore is on the way out. Lots of dudes were excited for tripe like the Black Dhalia Butthole but that seemed to die down quick. At least I hope anyhow.

Instrumental is disliked by too many people to ever get big, which is something very strange to me since so many singers suck ass, and such bands eliminate that possibility! "Singers come from Planet Singer." --Robert Fripp

Décadent said:
However, since last year and particularly since Deathspell Omega made marked their territory, I've noticed a steady rise of "orthodox black metal". Could this be the wave of the future?
Yep, that's it. Maybe not in the mainstream but surely within underground black metal. I rather like the "big" bands here, but more and more clones are popping up but I ignore most because my prejudices tell me they are poop.

BTW bedroom black metal is my new favorite term. I'm going to try and squeeze that into any and all conversations I have over the next several weeks, whether musical in nature or not.

fotmbm said:
Yep, that's it. Maybe not in the mainstream but surely within underground black metal. I rather like the "big" bands here, but more and more clones are popping up but I ignore most because my prejudices tell me they are poop.

Yeah I tend to ignore most of them as well, it's so obvious when a new band pops up with a complete "orthodox" image after having listened to some Watain and DSO :rolleyes:

A good example is that new pathetic little label Satanic Propaganda: "BLACK METAL SHALL BE DEDICATED TO THE DEVIL. DEMONS SPEAK THROUGH US AND SPREAD THE PLAGUE IN AUDIAL FORM. Black Metal is HIS TOOL." zzz...

Bedroom Black Metal has been around for a while. It isn't meant to be an insult. It just refers to bands (usally one or two people) that never tour or play live, and they record all their stuff in a home studio. Oh . . . and they're black metal. There are other "bedroom" genres, but the name just doesn't sound as cool. Bedroom Techno? . . . . uhhhh . . . no.

Old-school throwback bands, hopefully.

EDIT - to clarify, I do not want that to be an actual trend in the same sense as, say, hip-hop, just to see more bands playing stripped-down, straightforwardly kickass music.

i dunno, i put bedroom bm just cuz i've noticed a lot of people throwing around names like xasthur and leviathan recently...can't say i'm complaining, those bands kick ass. i haven't heard cult of luna but ISIS RULES, straight up...oceanic and panopticon are both fucking 10 out of 10.

edit: and yea, the Fagony scene opened for syl, along with a couple other by the numbers metalcore acts. i was most displeased, but being 5 feet from devin throughout syl's set cured that pretty quick...fuck yeah for small venues :hotjump:

fotmbm said:

What do you expect? When these bands realize that DsO and Watain get more repsect for being somewhat intellectual about their beleifs instead of ranting about how they'll "burn the christians with the fires of their ancestors spritits", they think this is their chance to get noticed. But a shitty band is a shitty band, regardless of beleifs.