What are rock radio stations playing today?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
When I lived in Philly back in '98, we had WYSP. It was amazing -- we were getting Megadeth, Dio, Metallica etc during the day, mixed in with the usual glam stuff like Leppard, WASP, etc.

After a while, nuMetal took over almost entirely. We did get "Mandatory Metallica" every Friday night, 2 hours of nothing but Metallica. Otherwise, it was all Godsmack, Disturbed, Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc.

Mix that in with Foo Fighters, and grunge leftovers like Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.

My local rock station is now practically redundant. Likewise, I have ZERO idea what rock stations would even play today. Sure, nuMetal is dead, and metal-core is popular, but I cannot believe a radio station would play metal-core during the day, am I right? It's gotta be too extreme.

So what are they playing around you? If you're lucky, they've abandoned nuMetal, avoided MetalCore, and gone BACK to mid 90's era and previous, which would be cool again, just like it was at WYSP.

I try listening to the radio about 3 times a year. Each time it takes around 10 minutes to hit a Linkin Park song and I shut it off. Seriously, will that band please fucking die?

So some stations will STILL play Linkin Park and presumably Limp Bizkit? I have to imagine even Fred Durst is laughing about that one. That and the fact that he fucked Britney in the a$$ (pre-Federline and barefoot in gas station washroom days).

It's fucking awful man, I swear I thought Linkin Park was gone because I stopped listening to the radio on a regular basis years ago.

They killed the good classic rock radio station as well, and the other one plays some rad shit, but mostly dorky crud like Eddie Money and Rush.

do any of you have satellite radio? is it worth getting?
the way i look at it you are still at the mercy of the DJ's ... but maybe better selection?

I rented a car a while back from Hertz -- it came with XM satellite radio. It ruled. Only had it for a week, but yeah, I would definitely get satellite radio, but of course, I would Sirius.

My assistant has XM, he has one of the metal stations on all the time and I peep it out on occasion. It's not very good.

I do listen to talk radio sometimes though. Caught that left wing station on out here recently, it was surprisingly good.

The metal stations I heard on XM were playing Kreator and Mercyful Fate. Actually, the first song I heard on XM was "Enemy of God" and I was like, woah, does this mean I don't have to listen to "Man in a Box" for the 3 gajillionth time? If so, sign me up.

i still cannot quite figure out the gadgetry involving satllite and bringing it from my house to the car ...
and $15 a month still seems a bit steep

lurch70 said:
do any of you have satellite radio?

I have XM.

a quick perusal of three of the eight or so "rock" channels shows:

Deep Tracks

Allman Bros - Mt. Jam (Live at XM)
Be Bop Deluxe - Modern Music
Rolling Stones -Rain Fall Down
Nazz - Wildwood Blues
Supertramp - Some Things Never Change
Boz Scaggs - Loan me a Dime
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Who Do You Love
Tommy Bolin - Post Toastee
Pink Floyd - Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Jimi Hendrix -Machine Gun

Boneyard

ACDC - Whole Lotta Rosie
Def Leppard - rock Brigade
Guns and Roses - Nightrain
Skid Row - Wasted Time
Metallica - Fade to Black
Warrant - Down Boys
Ozzy - I Don't Know
Poison - Look What the Cat Dragged In
Van Halen - Atomic Punk
Motley Crue - Too Young to Fall in Love

Liquid Metal:
In Flames
Sepultura
Hatebreed
Lamb of God
Slipknot
Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
Metallica
Exodus
Fear Factory
Chimaira

Most of this is commercial free, btw.
I don't listen to much music on XM tho.

and $15 a month is like 50 cents a day :lol:

yeah, i still here linkin park every so often. and they sometimes play limp bizkit's cover of Behind Blue Eyes. but mostly its nickelback

but like i said in another thread, some college stations are playing everyones fave The Sword :loco:

We used to have a great college radio station in NJ called Seaton Hall Radio (or something like that). They used to play metal all day long. It would be 3pm and you'd hear Morbid Angel blasting away. This is slightly before my time in this area though, Zod and Gugs would probably know what I'm talking about.

yeah, Pirate Radio .., from Seton hall ... cool station, pretty strong signal too for college radio, was able to pick it up here also.
for some reason I thought it was still on