Do Your Local FM Radio Stations Play Heavy Metal?

aqnimal

Aug 15, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
I've lived in several cities in my life- Born in Saint Mary's, PA, Grew up in East Peoria, IL, Went to college in Normal, IL, then moved to Grand Haven, MI, then Tempe, AZ, and finally back to East Peoria, IL.
In Saint Mary's, where I still go back occaisonally to visit relatives, the only 2 decent stations are Megarock, a general rock station which occaisonally plays Zeppelin and AC/DC, and the Revoltion, an alternative/modern rock station coming out of State College, which occasionally does play metal, even though it's usually the mallcore variety.
In Normal, the main rock station, WIHN plays mostly alternative music(It's a college town), emo, and mallcore, though they do occaisonally play some old Metallica or Priest or Maiden. They currently have a show on weekend niights called Weekend Anarchy, which unfortunately largely plays mainly nu-metal, although they do include Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, and some early Metallica. The Illinois State University(Where I went to school) station, WZND, though does have a heavy metal show on Thursdays, though it's only available thru cable radio or online. WESN, the college station for Illinois Wesleyan University in next-door Bloomington(Franklin Street, running thru both towns, is the ONLY street in the entire world with a university on both ends), which was available over the open airwaves, did have "Death by Volume" on Mondays and Saturdays.
In Grand Haven, the best station available was WKLQ in Grand Rapids, which had "Out of Control Saturday Night"(Which admittedly played a lot of nu-metal), "Rock Hard Sunday"(Featuring 80's hair bands), and "New Metal Monday". Sadly, WKLQ got rid of those shows and has gone downhill.
In Tempe, the best station was KUPD, which every Sunday had "Into The Pit", a 2-hour metal show with some pretty raw stuff.
Back in East Peoria, until recently the best local station, WIXO, really doesn't have a metal show, although they do play metal, although most of it's more like nu-metal and mallcore bands like Saliva, Papa Roach, etc. A new station, MAXfm, which is at least not corporate owned, plays some pre-sellout Metallica, Pat Travers, Rainbow.
And last but not least, the local album rock station, WWCT, which I grew up listening to, and was the best local station at the time, and played Sabbath, Priest, Riot, etc., had taken a nose dive in the last 20 years until recently when they switched to an all-request format and is now on its way back up, playing requests from Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, Megadeth, to Johnny Cash(!!), and it does have Dee Snider's "House of Hair" on Sunday mornings(!), which, as anyone who's listened to it well knows, plays more poser crap than metal, not to mention the fact that it airs when many people who'd listen to it are either sleeping off the previous Saturday night or in church!

The only station around here that plays real metal is the college-rock station, and it's only late Sunday night when I should be sleeping up for class the next day, but it's the ONLY metal show in the area, so I listen to it anyway. I discovered Wintersun, Hollenthon, Thyrfing, Carcass, most of the metal I listen to now from that show.

The only one that plays current rock is a modernb rock station which will play Nu-Metal sometimes(I never heard Slipknot but I heard Mudvayne's Not Falling on it before) as well as some Metallica but mostly hard rock and modern rock I wouldn't listen to. The only radio station I listen to now is Sirius Hard Attack and when I'm home on the weekends from college I'll listen to Beyond The Pit from 10-11 PM and it plays death, black, gore and grind as advertised. I found some good bands on there I hadn't known about such as Dark Funeral, ABSU, and Cattle Decapitation though they do have a tendency to play the same songs over from newer albums such as Dark Funeral's Godhate from the new album and Zyklon's new stuff. They also tend to play ABSU's cover of Deathcrush a whole lot on there. I have Sirius radio on the TV at my parents's house.

We've got one classic rock station that plays Paranoid and Crazy train from time to time, and a modern rock station that plays One, The Unforgiven and Nothing Else matters sometimes. I don't know about late night metal power-hours, but I only have the classical music station playing at night.

Here in Australia we have Full Metal Racket on Triple J every tuesday night, such a godsend. Nothing can describe how happy I was the night I discovered full metal racket.

In Melbourne we've got the Triple J show plus metal shows on 3RRR and 3PBS.... Go community radio! Melbourne has the best radio of anywhere I've ever been...

Yeah there isnt any stations around my area that plays metal. There used to be one but then it got fucken changed to a classic rock station. I was so pissed.