Do Your Local FM Radio Stations Play Heavy Metal?

not really, only the occasional maiden, priest, ozzy and metallica. however there is a local AM station that plays coldread.

One station plays the occasional heavy metal band. Another has an hour dedicated to metal, but it's usually just metalcore or thrash. I haven't listened to that show in a long time though

The radio stations around where I live don't play any metal whatsoever. However, I do run an internet radio station that plays a lot of metal (links are in my signature).

The college station in Council Bluffs, IA (which neighbors Omaha for those of you who are geographically challenged) has a metal show every Saturday night, but I rarely listen to it because they play 90% mallcore, sprinkled with the occasional black/death/power track.

3D radio has sunday nights 8-11 'powersure' playing metal. Although, like DSE, alot of metalcore is played, but there is a good bit of death/black/thrash, plus it plays alot of local artists

The Bringer said:
Awesome to see local bands being place... taken for granted that they are actually half decent. ;)

Yeh for sure, some are dodgey, but most are good

The station actually has a poilicy of playing 30% of everything Australian throughout all their different genre shows, and 15% from this state, so its definately good for locals to get some exposure

@ Nemesis - no shit hey, that would truely rule

I've done a Metal show for the past 16 years, collage station WWSP 89.9/90fm. You can listen on line of course, sundays 9 to mid central time. We cover a huge variety of heavy music. Starting at the 80's to today, your gonna ear something you like! We manage to cover all genres week to week, you should tune in this sunday. Call me at the station or email, search WWSP and click on the listen link. My time slot sundays 9pm to mid are the only hrs of Metal. It's alot of fun, I host and produce the show. I also have a co host who rocks the 10pm to 11pm slot. It's a great listen!

The only Metal station that I pick up in the car is Hard Attack on Sirius.

FM in L.A. has been nearly completely devoid of Metal since 1995 when KNAC went off the air. Were it not for satellite radio, concerts, promo CDs or the internet, I would have been completely cut off from any new Metal bands in the last 11 years.

If anything, it's a sure sign that FM radio simply has lost touch with its audience and has nothing to offer. They now are what AM radio was - an overly government-regulated and formatted form of corporate mass entertainment that is so rigid in its thought processes that it can no longer adapt to the changes in the marketplace.

aqnimal said:
I've lived in several cities in my life- Born in Saint Mary's, PA, Grew up in East Peoria, IL, Went to college in Normal, IL, then moved to Grand Haven, MI, then Tempe, AZ, and finally back to East Peoria, IL.
In Saint Mary's, where I still go back occaisonally to visit relatives, the only 2 decent stations are Megarock, a general rock station which occaisonally plays Zeppelin and AC/DC, and the Revoltion, an alternative/modern rock station coming out of State College, which occasionally does play metal, even though it's usually the mallcore variety.
In Normal, the main rock station, WIHN plays mostly alternative music(It's a college town), emo, and mallcore, though they do occaisonally play some old Metallica or Priest or Maiden. They currently have a show on weekend niights called Weekend Anarchy, which unfortunately largely plays mainly nu-metal, although they do include Slayer, Megadeth, Pantera, and some early Metallica. The Illinois State University(Where I went to school) station, WZND, though does have a heavy metal show on Thursdays, though it's only available thru cable radio or online. WESN, the college station for Illinois Wesleyan University in next-door Bloomington(Franklin Street, running thru both towns, is the ONLY street in the entire world with a university on both ends), which was available over the open airwaves, did have "Death by Volume" on Mondays and Saturdays.
In Grand Haven, the best station available was WKLQ in Grand Rapids, which had "Out of Control Saturday Night"(Which admittedly played a lot of nu-metal), "Rock Hard Sunday"(Featuring 80's hair bands), and "New Metal Monday". Sadly, WKLQ got rid of those shows and has gone downhill.
In Tempe, the best station was KUPD, which every Sunday had "Into The Pit", a 2-hour metal show with some pretty raw stuff.
Back in East Peoria, until recently the best local station, WIXO, really doesn't have a metal show, although they do play metal, although most of it's more like nu-metal and mallcore bands like Saliva, Papa Roach, etc. A new station, MAXfm, which is at least not corporate owned, plays some pre-sellout Metallica, Pat Travers, Rainbow.
And last but not least, the local album rock station, WWCT, which I grew up listening to, and was the best local station at the time, and played Sabbath, Priest, Riot, etc., had taken a nose dive in the last 20 years until recently when they switched to an all-request format and is now on its way back up, playing requests from Suicidal Tendencies, Slayer, Megadeth, to Johnny Cash(!!), and it does have Dee Snider's "House of Hair" on Sunday mornings(!), which, as anyone who's listened to it well knows, plays more poser crap than metal, not to mention the fact that it airs when many people who'd listen to it are either sleeping off the previous Saturday night or in church!
shut the fuck up

there's a local high school radio station around here that plays metal one night a week. i rarely listen to it so i don't know if they play anything good or not.

My radio station has this thing called Rockers,where the songs are requested by the listeners. 94WYSP,it comes on at 12AM to 2AM.

But they play alot of crap,so I turn it off

no...Youngstown is mostly dominated by either KISS FM/Hot 101 pop garbage or that watered down nu-rock bullshit a la Nickelback and Staind on Rock 104.

there are few good stations in Cleveland and Pittsburgh but nothing local.

ohiogrinder said:
no...Youngstown is mostly dominated by either KISS FM/Hot 101 pop garbage or that watered down nu-rock bullshit a la Nickelback and Staind on Rock 104.

there are few good stations in Cleveland and Pittsburgh but nothing local.

Wow you have the same rock station number as Boston :zombie:

I'm in a small town.Our "Rock" station sucks when I do play the radio it's usually on the college station.Sometimes we get a cool D.J. playing Death Metal and the like,but not often.