Does anyone here live in a city that plays metal on the radio?

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
The only rock station in Los Angeles is KROQ 106.7 They mainly play good charlotte, radiohead, white stripes about 100 times a day. And whenevewr eminem comes out with an album they jump on his bandwagon and play him too! Its a sad state of affairs. The closest good station is 105.3 san diego. And it only comes in on a good day. Then you got some classic rock stations that kick ass. But nothing new, good, and heavy :ill:

here in New Hampshire the rock station we have here (Rock101 WGIR) plays some stuff rarely, i've heard them play In Flames, Soilwork, Lacuna Coil and surprisingly Hypocrisy but like i said its rare... they mostly play Nu-metal or songs from the 80s(which aren't all bad)

There are some radio stations that have extreme metal radio shows once a week, usually sometime later at night. But there are no radio stations that play strictly metal. I don't listen to the radio anyways, so I don't really care.

I listen to Planet Rock (80's stuff maily), and Total Rock isnt that bad, although there is a considerable amount of new metal on there. I live in England and its on digital radio. I don't know the whole procedure, its confusing.

Well I don't live there, but whenever I visit my sisters in Boston, at about 1 AM, Emerson College radio has an awesome metal show. Just some of the bands I remember hearing were Darkthrone, Cattle Decapitation, Napalm Death, Labrat, and a ton of other really cool ones.

College radio is usually your best bet for good metal since it is run by students and there is none to minimal interference from big record companies.

Yeah, college radio kicks. There's one near here that has a metal show on from 3-5PM on Mondays so my ride home from work is usually pretty good. Best thing is that there's very few commercials so you get a lot of music in two hours.

Here in San Francisco, we only have 107.7 the bone's Metal Zone, with Bully I mean Billy Steel it's from 9pm to 12 or sometimes 1am, it's a preety good show most of the time, they play Testament, Slayer, Maiden, Priest, Queensryche, Metallica, Megadeth, Helloween, Hammerfall, Iced Earth, Dragonlord, Impaled, In Flames, Mercyful Fate & KD, Overkill, Venom, Shadows Fall, Dimmu Borgir, Vicious Romors, and more but the more extreme bands are played rarely.

Sometimes there are special shows and/or special guests, such as a special thrash show, maiden show and other stuff,

Not as good as I made it sound but it's still good.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
The only rock station in Los Angeles is KROQ 106.7 They mainly play good charlotte, radiohead, white stripes about 100 times a day. And whenevewr eminem comes out with an album they jump on his bandwagon and play him too! Its a sad state of affairs. The closest good station is 105.3 san diego. And it only comes in on a good day. Then you got some classic rock stations that kick ass. But nothing new, good, and heavy :ill:
Listen to 97.1fm on Saturday nights from 12am - 2am. Riki Rachtman has a show and plays ALOT of good stuff, underground metal and punk and plays what he wants and wht you want.

I live in New Jersey. By me we have Q104. a classic rock station. You will hear stuff on there like Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Scorpions, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, KISS etc. Then Friday nights on that station is Friday Night Rocks with Eddie Trunk from 11pm-2am. Eddi plays stuff like Maiden, Priest, Slayer, Overkill, Iced Earth, WASP, Metallica, Megadeth, Dio, Manowar, as well as stuff like the station plays normally during the day along the lines of Scorpions, AC/DC, Sabbath, etc.

Then there is 105.5 WDHA. They play classic and new rock. During their rgeular roattion they have stuff like Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Van Halen, Scorpions, Ozzy, etc. Friday nights from 11-midnight is Metal Mania. They play heavier stuff on there like Slayer, Testament, and even stuff like Hammerfall and Stratovarius at times. Then Saturday nights on this station is the Tour Bus. It is mostly a party rock/glam metal show with bands like Ratt, Poison, Cinderella, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue butthey also blend in stuff like Maiden, Priest, Dio, Savatage, etc. Also during the Tour Bus they have PMS (Power Metal Selection) in which they play one power metal tune a week. So far they've played the likes of Blind Guardian, Evergrey, Hammerfall, Primal Fear, Symphony X, Iced Earth, Seven Witches, Helloween, Grave Digger, Shadow Keep, Avantasia, Dream Evil and more. Then they also have a segment of 3 or 4 songs called Road Rage in which they play stuff like Metallica, Slayer, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies, Anthrax, etc. Really cool show.

Also up by me is a college station. 89.5 WSOU. They play all sorts of stuff form real metal, to nu metal, to punk to whatever but I have heard bands on there before like Hammerfall, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Slayer, In Flames, Iced Earth, etc. Every Tuesday night they have a show called Vintage 80's from 8pm - 11pm where they play evrything from Bon Jovi to Slayer.

down in south florida theres a college radio station that plays metal(for the most part) on thurs. from like 2-5 or something like that, basically its always the same death metal songs mixed in with crappy nu-metal crap so it really isnt any good....unless you want to hear domination by morbid angel and angel of death by slayer every week

AllWithinMyMonster said:

Well, it's really sad when you say Rock 105.3 is a decent station considering what you have,that must mean LA radio is brutal. I don't know if you know, but On Sunday Nights from 10PM to Midnight, Rock 105.3 has an all metal show called "Another State Of Mind". Great show, they play it ALL. From Judas Priest to Immortal!

down in south florida theres a college radio station that plays metal(for the most part) on thurs. from like 2-5 or something like that, basically its always the same death metal songs mixed in with crappy nu-metal crap so it really isnt any good....unless you want to hear domination by morbid angel and angel of death by slayer every week

I live in South Florida myself and I honestly have no idea what you're talking about....there IS a radio show that plays here every WEDNESDAY from 10 P.M. to 1 A.M.(3 hours) that plays nothing but METAL(No Nu-metal involved). It's called The Metal Revolution and it can be heard on 90.5, the University of Miami campus station. It's true that it is very death and black metal-oriented but it's a great show nonetheless, and if you listen long enough you'll notice that they do essentially play music from the whole spectrum of metal. For more information, go to their official website: The Metal Revolution

Denver is very hit or miss. The main "rock" station (which has fallen from grace over the years) is 106.7 KBPI. They do mix it up, but it's a Clear Channel station. So you'll hear nu-metal garbage mixed in with the occasional real metal such as Ozzy, Queensryche, Sabbath, old Metallica (and way too much of it), and occasionally even Black Label Society. Which is said because three of those acts I listed all have to do with Ozzy. How's that for diversity? They have a metal show called Metallix which I rarely tune into, which is better. The release on their website says it's for fans of bands like Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Biohazard and the like. Which I have yet to hear any of. And it's Sunday night really late I believe.

But there IS a killer metal show on the University of Colorado's Radio 1190 KVCU on Monday nights run by a good friend of mine. He plays all that is real and underground. You name it, all the stuff we talk about on this board. Classic, death, thrash, stoner, power, black, doom, extreme. Great show.

The only major station that I respect is 94.1 in Albuquerque NM (my old homestate). They are a (*sigh*) Clear Channel station too, but the demographic in New Mexico is still highly, highly metal strong. I hear Iron Maiden (not Run to the Hills over and over either, brand new stuff), Fear Factory, Accept, Saxon and many others there when I drive home to visit. Not bad for corporate-owned. They tried to change the format significantly when Clear Channel bought it, and the phones lit up for days from pissed off listeners who wanted their metal. Love that state.