Damn it!!

DemonJay said:
I agree, however I got the impression this thread was more focused around Spastic Ink searching for a replacement drummer rather than just finding skilled musicians in general.

But your totally right, good marimba-players who play metal are extremely hard to find! :D

Machinations of dementia is the project that now is drummerless, not Spastic Ink, that's why I told you that you didn't read the thread.

btw, how do you call a marimba player? marimbist? marimba-man? LOL!

Yeah, high profile guys are out of reach for too many reasons.

I can dream all day of getting Terry Bozzio, Chad Wackerman, Neil Peart, Matt McDonough (Mudvayne), etc... but realistically and unfortunately, that's not going to happen. I really appreciate all of the names that you guys are mentioning. I've got a list of about 20 drummers who I think are possibilities.

Also, I am downloading mp3 of these guys and lots of them are doing blastbeats 90% of the time. Yes, there are some sections in Machinations songs that require somewhat of a blastbeat, but the majority of the songs require fast, heavy "grooves". That's why I asked Chris Adler to do the project. He has an incredible groove, yet throws in wacky "off" things here and there. I can't even tell which blastbeat is better than the other. My assumption is that for these drummers to play blastbeats that fast and clean, they must be capable of playing grooves that wusses (!!) like me "get". The main problem is I can't tell how these guys groove by listening to constant snare, bass, snare, bass, snare, bass, sixteenth notes at 225 BPM.

And so I think what I'm getting at is the drummer for this project should probably come from a different genre other than death metal, maybe extreme metal, thrash metal, technical metal, math metal, etc...

Ron

You might want to ask Dirk Verbeuren. He's a class player, and his main band, Scarve, is a mix of Meshuggah and Soilwork. He plays blasts from time to time, but he's extremely technical and has played with more groove-oriented bands as well. For example: Soilwork's Stabbing The Drama, he played the CD and some tours, but I don't think he's a permanent member.

I also read an interview with Bobby that he's a big fan of Dirk. Btw: He's Belgian :)

ronjarz said:
Yes, there are some sections in Machinations songs that require somewhat of a blastbeat, but the majority of the songs require fast, heavy "grooves".

And so I think what I'm getting at is the drummer for this project should probably come from a different genre other than death metal, maybe extreme metal, thrash metal, technical metal, math metal, etc...

Ron

In that case, I would take a deeper look in to Derek Roddy's site. Sure, he's known for his work primarily in to Death Metal. However, the vids on his site show that he is capable of moderate to fast tempo grooves. The bio also stated that he's well versed in a multitude of styles.

Morgan Agren wouldn't be any more out of reach than Chris Adler. Hell, it's worth a shot. He's got plenty of groove & tons of jazz leanings to his style.

This may be a long shot, but what about Mike Portnoy? The guy has done TONS of side projects in the past & he always seems to be up for just about anything. He'd problably see this as another cool challenge.

Man, you two guys are right on the money. Derek has already been contacted and he's into doing the project, but his schedule is a bit hectic right now, and I don't want to keep bugging the guy. I'm hoping he can do it because yes, I've also seen his vids on his website and he can play anything. My brother has mentioned him being a killer latin player (!) as well, with grooves up to his eyeballs. If Derek can find time for this, we'll be in great shape.

Dirk also has been contaced but has not responded (hopefully because of his touring schedule), but I think he's a possibility. I've heard him play blastbeats with Scarve and groove like a mother fucker with Soilwork. He'd also be a killer choice for this project.

Ron

^ Excellent, Ron. Glad I could help. ;)

Speaking of all these new tunes, is there any possibility of getting a few more vids up of the ideas you're working on? I really dug the last ones you put up.

Richard Christy from Death/Control Denied?
what about the Dillinger drummer?

maybe someone who isnt even related to any bands will emerge.

ronjarz said:
Well, I found Alex through you guys on this forum, as well as Jeff Eber who played on "Ink Compatible". So put your thinking caps on, and let's figure this out...

In other words... HELP!!!!!

Couldn't Chris Adler at least record the album before he leaves? It sucks that he's out of the band.

Though I don't think it would ever happen, I'd really love to hear Jimmy DeGrasso, Tomas Haake, or John Macaluso on the album.

Or just get someone unknown but as amazing az Jeff Eber.

I'm really bummed that Chris had to leave though. I'd ask him to record the album and then maybe you could get someone else to fill in for him on tour. Especially since the music was already written with Chris on mind.

Alex Arellano of Power of Omens might be good a choice. He is absolutely amazing.
Also the drummer on Canvas Solaris albums is a good player, he can be suitable for your music.

You know what: I'd like to see Rick (Colaluca, in case that needed to be mentioned) try his hand(s and feet) at something like this. I know, you'll probably kick my ass for getting WatchTower back into this, but at least he seemed to have the time to spend on Mathematics, so why not this? He's still my favorite metal drummer - or drummer in metal, I should say, since he's hardly "typically metal".

You want someone with groove who isn't doing nothing right now, get Nick Menza, I've always liked his style and getting him out of retirement would be killer. Or like everyone else has mentioned, you should at least contact Richard Christy, maybe he's got the itch to play something now that he's been away a while, it doesn't hurt to ask. Shit, while you're at it, why not Vinnie Paul? He's in TX and he's got some great groove as well, he could be interested, you never know.

It would be awesome if you could get Dirk to drum for MOD, but just in case, I was thinking about another excellent drummer who doesn't have anything on his hands right now I think: Janne Saarenpää of The Crown.

The Crown quit playing so I think he might be available, and he is one of the best, and most unknown metal drummers ever. The Crown is a mix of Immortal and Motorhead, lots of technical and over the top drumming, check him out.