Damn speakers!

9mm

Pull Me Under
Apr 14, 2001
Sydney, Australia
www.dreamtheater.net
Damn these infernal speakers!! I don't know what their story is!

At present I am listening to an MP3, with the volume knob on the speakers at zero, and Winamp's volume level set at 50%, and it's still freakin loud! It may or may not have something to do with Winamp though -- it still happens when WA is not open....

I have no idea why this happens -- it's particularly annoying when I boot up the computer and try to connect to the internet, because the modem connecting sounds come out of my speakers, and I have no way to turn it down, as the volume knob is already on zero!!

Another weird thing is that it is only happening in the left hand speaker; the right one works well -- if I turn the volume up it works, and if it is set on zero then there is no sound coming out of it! The left one is just heaps louder!

I don't know what I can do about it, does anyone have any ideas for me?

Have you checked the actual Windows sound settings? Could be the main setting is turned all the way up, with the balance set to the left channel?

Originally posted by Mark
Have you checked the actual Windows sound settings? Could be the main setting is turned all the way up, with the balance set to the left channel?

Where would I find that info? I checked the 'sounds' folder in Control Panel, but all that has is the Windows sound schemes (like Start Windows, Exit Windows etc.).

Aces, all the speakers are plugged in and working, sound comes out of all of them, just at different volumes!! (Or did you mean something else?)

If you have the little speaker on your status bar, double click that to see all the different settings.

If not, go to Control Panel/Multimedia and click the big icon under Playback.

:)

Well actaully my speakers go a bit funny sometimes so i have to twist the plug around a bit...like one goes high then the other etc etc....

the plug in question is that one which connects to the back of the pc

I had the same problem on Monday when I took my best of Van Halen CD to work with me so I could block out the usual sound of sport-obsessed commercial radio. A "no air guitar during office hours" rule has since been introduced :lol:

Does anyone know if Media Player is the default CD player on Windows ME? The shitty PCs at my place of business don't have enough memory to run it properly. If not, how easy is it to uninstall and go back to using the ol' faithful Win95 CD player?

W

Originally posted by 9mm
Damn these infernal speakers!! I don't know what their story is!

At present I am listening to an MP3, with the volume knob on the speakers at zero, and Winamp's volume level set at 50%, and it's still freakin loud! It may or may not have something to do with Winamp though -- it still happens when WA is not open....

Hehe... you said "knob" :lol:

:D