DAW Monitor Volume Control

i have a big knob, it's about 2 years old and it's starting to go. noisy pots and i feel the image drift every once in a while. I'm gonna get a central station... i know it has similar issues but the signal path is passive unlike the big knob.
either way the big knob is still decent, lots of features for the price.

I use an NHT PVC Pro, not made anymore but a very solid passive unit. Any passive attenuator is going to give you stereo image problems at lower levels, and assuming the construction/components are good, they should all sound exactly the same. It suits my needs as long as I keep my powered monitors at exactly half of their possible volume, that way I can go audibly quieter at higher settings on the attenuator, avoiding the stereo image issues entirely.

As for the Mackie Big Knob, I've heard many (former) users complain that it has the "Mackie Sound" to it. If you don't like that sound, don't get one.

Mackie Big Knob

Best bang for the buck. It sounds fine, and has all the features one would need for a project studio.

I tried going straight from my RME FF into the speakers and then through the Big Knob. The difference was incredibly small and negligible. I have a friend with the Dangerous Music Monitor ST controller. That’s what I would get if I were to upgrade monitor controllers. I don’t see that happening any time soon though. The Big Knob has been working out for me for years.

I just use a Behringer Minimon800. Is cheap and does the job. 4 inputs, a whole bunch of outputs, mono summing. Not noticed any difference in sound quality, though I've not really done any extensive tests to be honest.