Volume controller with active monitors

DullElysium

Oct 15, 2010
Finland
So I have had this SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 to control the volume on my Equator D5's and one of my friends said one should not use such controller. He said you should keep the source maxed and adjust the volume on the active speakers.

Will it harm my speakers if their volume is maxed and i control the volume with the SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 or my interface?

I got the volume controller when I bought my last active monitors so I didn't even question it. It just saves a lot of hassle with two volume knobs.

Thanks!

Not sure about yours, but my D5's don't exactly have a "Volume" knob. It has "Sensitivity" and I let mine at +4DBu and just control the volume with the Master Volume on my interface.

So I have had this SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 to control the volume on my Equator D5's and one of my friends said one should not use such controller. He said you should keep the source maxed and adjust the volume on the active speakers.

Will it harm my speakers if their volume is maxed and i control the volume with the SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 or my interface?

I got the volume controller when I bought my last active monitors so I didn't even question it. It just saves a lot of hassle with two volume knobs.

Thanks!
Your friend is incorrect,you can use the M-patch 2,that's exactly what it's made for.

Yeah you're right it's a sensitivity knob. Sorry for that. I remember reading somewhere that the sensitivity knob is basically a volume knob though.

And really great to hear that I haven't been harming my speakers with this. Thanks guys! You're the tits!

It is a sensitivity knob not a volume knob (a lot of things are actually sensitivity controls because they do not effect gain), its more of how that amplitude of the signal is effecting the rest of the operation. With poweramps, the gain is set to maximum and the knob is just controlling/attenuating how much of that signal makes it to the input of the poweramp. It doesn't matter how you attenuate the signal, whether it be from the sensitivity knob on the amp/monitors or via the monitor controller, at the end of the day anything of equal loudness is hitting the power section equally as hard, regardless of the sensitivity knobs settings.

Dime the sensitivity on those monitors and use the SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 to control the volume.

It is a sensitivity knob not a volume knob (a lot of things are actually sensitivity controls because they do not effect gain), its more of how that amplitude of the signal is effecting the rest of the operation. With poweramps, the gain is set to maximum and the knob is just controlling/attenuating how much of that signal makes it to the input of the poweramp. It doesn't matter how you attenuate the signal, whether it be from the sensitivity knob on the amp/monitors or via the monitor controller, at the end of the day anything of equal loudness is hitting the power section equally as hard, regardless of the sensitivity knobs settings.

Dime the sensitivity on those monitors and use the SM Pro Audio M-Patch 2 to control the volume.

Thanks for clearing that up dude! The more you know :D