Can I damage my monitors? (HS80m)

nervirasme

Dismember
Nov 13, 2010
Cologne, Germany
www.behance.net
Hi, I have a pair of HS80m as my main monitors and I was thinking of using them as the main speakers for upcoming house party. The volume on interface (Saffire Pro 40) would be maxed out, but the volume on monitors would be half way (at "+4dB" position)... even still, for those who don't know how powerful HS80m are, they're pretty damn loud at that position!! The woofer moves like crazy and everything looks just intimidating!... I'm just wondering would playing at that volume for 2 hours damage the speakers?

Thanks

Check out your manual. Most reference monitors have an automatic overheating shutdown. Also for most monitors that have liquid cooling, its not really possible to even get them to shut off.

I can say I have cranked my BX8a pretty hard before, but nothing extended, they are liquid cooled and have an automatic shutdown but I still haven't hit that.

Check out your manual. Most reference monitors have an automatic overheating shutdown. Also for most monitors that have liquid cooling, its not really possible to even get them to shut off.

I can say I have cranked my BX8a pretty hard before, but nothing extended, they are liquid cooled and have an automatic shutdown but I still haven't hit that.

Yeah, but you can still blow a speaker, shit like that happens

Anywho, it will be one hell of a party

Well, the only thing in the manual that's related to this topic is this: "Do not operate the device if the sound is distorting. Prolonged use in this condition could cause overheating and result in fire.", nothing about automatic shutdown or any similar preventive measure. But the level that I'm aiming at is way below any level that will cause speaker to distort... To put it in simpler terms - it will be a bit quieter than a common band rehersal...

Yeah that is pretty common sense, if the speakers are distorting you are going to blow them.

It all depends on the power handling of the speakers, if you are below that well then you are fine. With the HS80Ms being 240W total, you should be able to get those babies singing as loud as a 412 at band practice without too much worry. If the speakers can't handle what the power amp is giving them (ie, the speakers can handle more power than what the power amp is rated) then that is bad design. Definitely though test the volume you want to have before people show up and listen if there is any distortion. periodically throughout the nigh put your ear up to them real quick and listen again as if they heat up things could start to go south, but most likely won't be the case.