Dan on the new Winds album

This album is really kicking my ass today. Loving it more than before. So much emotion, awesome melody lines, neat riffs that don't bore the shit out of me before the song ends (like so many these days), and the singing is really good. I'm now hearing his strengths, and hell I'm playing this on really bad laptop speakers and maybe that's causing him to come through clearer or something. Either way. I really like it.

i agree, it's a great album. one of the best of 2007.

at first i didn't like it much either but after a while i really got the hang of it.

btw andy, is there going to be a new age of silence album one day? i love acceleration, got the EP as well, need more :D

checked the aos forum, there will be, and i guess it's going to be done at the same time 2nd sky is done... :D chinese democracy, right? ;)

i for one will wait patiently for both :)

It's very cool to see Andy posting here. Cheers :kickass:I really wanna hear Dan's vocals so I'll have to pick up that new Winds album.

Btw am I the only one that hears a little bit of Europe's "It's the Final Countdown" on the "Convictions and Contradictions" chorus? :lol: The vocal line reminds me of the verse.

Hi,

Cheiron:
I acknowledge and respect your criticisms, even though I don't agree with them personally. But I will say this, that such things (tone and fullness) can sometimes have just as much to do with a) microphones, b) preamps/eq's, c) settings (engineering/mixing) as it has to do with a person's voice in and of itself. We mixed on an SSL this time, which is practically an industry standard for mixing, but it was none the less a first time for us. SSL tends to make the sound very crisp and clean, but the flip side to that is that it can also thin out your sound a bit. Andy

I'll be honest with you, this is the first Winds release I've tried listening to and 3 separate times I can't get past the first song before putting something else on. There is something about the production that makes it sound very underproduced or day I say "low budget".

I don't mean to be rude or insulting, just giving an honest opinion. The main thing that bothers me is the guitar tone/sound. I'm not a musician, so can't use the technical terms, but it has absolutely no punch or power to it.

It's not like I only like death metal, I enjoyed all the links you posted in the previous post for Dawn of Solace & Before the Dawn. Those have a nice rich and full guitar tone to them, it feels moving.

It's a shame since it's hard for me to accurately judge or even enjoy the music in it's current form.

:saint::saint::saint:

i didn't feel much compelled to listen to it on the first few lessons either.

i think PaD is an album you have to listen to a few times to get it. there is so much going on that i really must agree with going for a somewhat thinner sound.

kevin, if it were underproduced you wouldn't be able to hear all instruments so clearly ;)

i think PaD is an album you have to listen to a few times to get it. there is so much going on that i really must agree with going for a somewhat thinner sound.

kevin, if it were underproduced you wouldn't be able to hear all instruments so clearly ;)

I hear that argument from people about releases from time to time and I always feel it is more of an excuse, at least in terms of my ears.

A good quality production (not over or too slick) will accent the instruments and allow you to FEEL the full effect of it's intention.

Granted, I'm not a Winds junkie and this sound could be exactly what they wanted and it's just not cup of tea.

:erk::erk::erk:

Its my favorite album lately, I listen to it alot. Its alot darker then the first 2 albums and my pick out of the 3. Lars has some powerful vocals that might take a few listens to get used to. If you listen to their new album with an open mind it'll become clear how great the elements are when they come together.

it's not an excuse to me. if, after listening to an album once, or twice or maybe even more, i would have made up my mind about it i wouldn't be into over half of the bands im into now. it took me 2 years to like ulver's nattens madrigal :p with moontower, my favourite metal album ever, i just liked it first, listened to it a couple of weeks. then my interest wained, thought i'd heard it enough. and then suddenly a couple of weeks later i delved into the lyrics and WHAM!!! hooked for life.

it took me 2 years to like ulver's nattens madrigal :p

That album is great but even for a black metal album it's just not hearable productionwise. Too bad because it has great songs. I think I remaster it for myself to be able to listen to it again ;)
I think the guys had a good laugh when they gave it to Century Media :p

actually it's not that bad once you've got it down haha. or do i really begin to sound like an ulver fanboy now? :p i can't escape the impression that when i say this, somewhere out there garm is laughing at me :p

it seems unusually lo-fi at first, but once you've got it quirks there are some good points as well. bass is actually audible for example. there are some nice guitar layers here and there... no way that they mixed it in a forest on a 4-track :p the first song is probably the worst. try wolf and passion, and then try to work your way back ;)

wow, that's a sucky review for a prominent (no pun intended ;) ) magazine

that guy's lastname really fits him

muffled? does he even have ears? it's clear, otherwise we wouldnt be able to hear all those arpeggio's so well... and for the record, i just love rachmaninow on ADHD.

it's a matter of taste, but no point in being a dick about it...