DANDELIUM - Thorns (my best song all time). Remixed with vocal draft.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
Hi all!!

My singer just recorded some vocal tracks at the rehearshal space this week, so I got fresh material to work with!

This is my favourite song, with a new production (later explained) and with the vocal lines. Lyrics and recording are just working pre-production stuff. Also, don't mind the accent :lol:, cuz I wasn't there to help.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425433/Dandelium/THORNS remixed.mp3

Drums: Superior 2.0 with replaced kick
Bass: Hardcore Bass (yeah, programmed on this one, as I have my bass in Spain)
Guitars: LeXTAC on s-preshigh plus some eq. (settings posted in previous threads); leads are just POD Farm.
Keys: EWQLSO Gold and LASS.

Cheers! :headbang:

Awesome mix man. I've heard some of your other stuff on the forum recently. Your work sounds great. Btw, the EWQLSO stuff is really well done. I rarely hear that vst used this well. I'm looking forward to hearing more in the future! :headbang:

Great mix, everything fits perfectly, balanced and full. The vocals just sound a bit lo-fi, like a 64kbps mp3, yknow?
e: I like the snare a lot

once again I might as well kill myself knowing you can get amazing mixes with the same gear as me lol. Amazing production and song dandelium, now to find those presets...... lol

wowwwza. fucking awesome song/mix! as usual. vocals sound great! i still love the accent (though, its hardly noticeable)! gives her voice a unique quality!

Hi Erik

i'm very impressed by the singer... she has the technical mastery that is hard to find in spain or in france with females singers...

a lot of female singers, and particularly in metal pretend to be a singer and sing like shit.

so, keep this girl man, she rules, she have cristal in the voice.

I'm not a big fan of bands like ater forever, the gathering, leave's eyes etc... but dandelium have a particularity, it sound like scar-symmetry or bands with "more balls" , and i like it, it's not a weak music...

So it's complementary... it seems to be a lot of work on the concept and the music to find this complementary...

So i dig it.

the only thing that i would like to hear, is more solo or more shredding parts...

Merci beaucoup!

It's funny, cuz i met my singer because i was going to produce her previous band's album, and I didn't feel like she suited my music, so I forgot about her for almost a year.
Then one day a common friend told me that she really wanted to sing but she didn't dare to tell me, so I was curious again, auditioned her and got blown away!

About the music, you nailed it man! My favourite band would be Scar Symmetry if I had to choose only one (pre-Dark Matter Dimensions) and I also don't like too much that symphonic metal bands, it's curious because I've ended making that kind of music, but with more balls, as you said.

About the solos, we got a new lead guitarrist in the band, and he rules, he's an amazing shredder, and his style reminds me of Petrucci, and that's a good thing! :D
The album will feature solos by him and my be as well.

Cheers!!

Arghh I love this song. I'm quite serious when I say Dandelium are my favourite melodic metal band (I'm more of a Suffocation guy normally).
The Mix suits the genre perfectly imo. Sounds very Scar Symmetry-esque at times (in the best possible way) in terms of mix as well as lead guitars.

Erik,

if you like scar symmetry, check my band page at www.myspace.com/overloadfr and tell me if you like it.

We share the stage with SS last year in france, i hope you'll like our songs.

Good news for the soloist, when the album will be done, i'll give you the money to have one.

Congrats on making a symphonic song I actually like! I usually hate this kind of music, but Dandelium makes me throw up the devil horns!:headbang:

On to the mix: I think the vocals might be bit, but only just a bit too loud. I'd like to hear this song with the main vox down a db or two and the background vox raised likewise.

But it's just nitpicking, so keep up the good work!

... The drum sounds really fake especially the toms, i believe the cymbals are a bit too far in the mix at some times. The mix lacks alot of dynamics, their is no noticable difference between parts that should be quieter and those that should be louder. The bass content of the song is almost static at times and doesn't give me an ounce of emotion. Got to admit tought that the guitar tone is fantastic for the style and the keyboard is almost perfectly mixed as it gets buried a couple of times. No comments on the vocals except that it feels like every notes had to be autotuned... Anyways good luck!

I may be the only one thinking this but I find her voice only a bit above average. She sings well but there´s nothing much appealing in his way of singing. She doesnt grabs the listener with her voice IMO. Anyway, nice mix and song.

I really like your music, but to be honest, I can't for the life of me ever make out the lyrics :erk: