Daniel's live drumming

it seems that some of you guys have no idea what you are talking of

i saw Katatonia live yesterday and i can tell you that the drumwork is great, and i mean great! He has an awesome groove, always plays i context and plays with a feel rarely seen, and ive seen them all.

ive been a musician for eleven years and i think that people perhaps shouldnt listen to the guy endorsed by "pork pie" drums

if you want a drummachine, you can always listen to Dimmu Borgir, wich i also likedang!

ravens said:
it seems that some of you guys have no idea what you are talking of

i saw Katatonia live yesterday and i can tell you that the drumwork is great, and i mean great! He has an awesome groove, always plays i context and plays with a feel rarely seen, and ive seen them all.

I think I agree with you. I've found his drumwork excellent in Gent too...I think the reproach with him comes from the fact that he's intersted in nu-metal stuff, and it somehow affects his live playing, trying to "fill" some boring part with rolls...But I really think he has done some awesome job on VE...
Oh, and concerning Jonas, he has claimed several times than Daniel was a better drummer than he was...I guess we should believe him...

deimne said:
You're judging Daniel's drumming skills based on the fact that he pulls faces on occasion???!!!!! Hello!! What has that got to do with anything? I have played live before, as a bass player, on many occasions, and am definately inclined towards the face pulling. :loco: Jimi Hendrix used to pull faces which playing guitar live-DOES THAT MEAN HE COULDN'T PLAY???!!! Didn't think so. maybe little Daniel aint exactly Adrian Erlandsson (did I spell that right?) but he could keep rhythm for me anyday!! Drumming-wise. I'm not a groupie type.
OF COURSE Cerulean doesn't judge his drumming by the faces he pulls, it's just that it shows it takes Daniel a lot of effort to pull it off, to keep pace.

And it remains a fact that his switches of pace are not a matter of groove to this extent. It can be, but to the extent that Daniel slows down and speeds up, it can't be intentional.

Dan Swano would still despite what most recently been said, be a much better choice. Daniel definently needs to record his kick drums higher in the mix next time & muffle them a bit. He needs to get a more dfinite ride & he needs to chill alittle. No one gives a fuck about how fast he can get around his three toms. Half the time live he gets too into himself & plays sloppy with fills every other second.

"Daniel definently needs to record his kick drums higher in the mix next time & muffle them a bit"

Thats the most ridiculous thing i've heard on this topic especially as it's coming from an 'engineer'. Im Sure those minor details lie in the hands of an engineer or producer - daniel hardly engineered and mixed the drums himself now did he?

I think he's a fantastic drummer. It was clear before that jonas and dan were good solid drummers but it was also just as clear by listening to them that they were just filling in a gap. Daniel has added his own dimension to band and has filled a gap that spanned from bmd to tonights decision. His drumming on the last two albums is very impressive, as it was live on the two times I've seen him play. Of course the songs tempo's change live, it's the same with any band i've seen, sections get faster and slower but it hardly ruins the gig.

I think a lot of the criticism here is very petty indeed.......

revileandy said:
Of course the songs tempo's change live, it's the same with any band i've seen, sections get faster and slower but it hardly ruins the gig.
Of course, but as said many times before on this thread, he just does it to a much greater extent than other drummers do live.

Sepultura play their songs a lot faster live too, but they play the whole song, say, 25% faster, where Daniel plays one part 25% faster than original and a slow part 25% slower, it's not in pace with eachother. If changing pace, change the pace equally in the whole song and don't float around and lose all sense.