Manually Tempo Mapping in ProTools

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
Currently I'm switching from Reaper to PT, and one of my favorite things to do in reaper was tempo map/quantize a drummer that could not play to a click for the life of him...or, if he was having such a difficult time playing to the click and constantly fluctuating speeds, that i figure itt'l be less time consuming for me to just tempo map/warp him to grid.

i'm CERTAIN that this is faster/easier in PT, i'm just a total noob in digi-land.

chonchball mentioned this earlier this summer, and i figured instead of resurrecting the thread i'd just start a new one:

"for complex songs, record everyone together and get the FEEL of the song. Then use identify beat on every measure. You'll see that it will fluctuate a lot. After you have the whole song analyzed, change your tracks from SAMPLES to TICKS and use EDIT > SEPARATE ON GRID @ 16 notes with no trigger pad. Now change each SECTION to the moderate tempo of the part. Now you have your click track to TRACK to that preserves the feel of the song but makes it more metronimically acceptable. Go back and use the edited guitar track as your scratch guitar in the drummer's cue mix, and start tracking the real drums. After this process, beat detect the song and get it all into place nicely. Yes it's long, yes it's tedious,but you won't run into everyone saying "no that's too fast, no that's too slow"."

does anybody else employ this method? the samples/ticks thing is originally what i was poking around for in search, to see what you guys generally do and why. a more in depth description of the above paragraph ^ would be undoubtedly invaluable to everyone on here. tempo mapping is critical for me, as i record lots of shitty bands....haha.

I've done it. The way i do it:

- loop playback and find a 2 bar section.
- CMD + I and slecet the right time sig and stuff.
- keep doing it until you reach the end.

Once that's done you can quantize the sections easy.

cmd + I is was what I was looking for - thanks keith! This appears to be going smoothly out of the box, although once i'm done analyzing - i tracked in samples and I think I'd need to convert the tracks to ticks in order to start warping tempos... how's that gonna work? for example, i'll want to take a chorus or verse that was supposed to be a consistent tempo and take each measure and warp them all to a consistent...120 bpm, or whatever. will i need to enable elastic audio on each track and convert them to ticks in order to get them to follow my tempo map edits the way i want? these are drum tracks, once again.

"SEPARATE ON GRID @ 16 notes with no trigger pad. Now change each SECTION to the moderate tempo of the part. Now you have your click track to TRACK to that preserves the feel of the song but makes it more metronimically acceptable. Go back and use the edited guitar track as your scratch guitar in the drummer's cue mix, and start tracking the real drums. After this process, beat detect the song and get it all into place nicely."

separate on grid @ 16 notes - does that mean split every region at 16th notes? why is that necessary?
also, chonchballs method implied that this is a method for constructing a dynamic tempo map and scratch guitar for the drummer to use as a referrence when re-tracking his final drum takes. i just plan on setting up a tempo map so i can convert, essentially everything to MIDI and blend with ambient mics. anything i should know??

i'm dropping an "identify beat" marker at the first beat of every measure. but the tempo track stays level, doesn't fluctuate at all. is there something i'm missing here? i can adjust the tempo between markers by dragging them around once in place, but this isn't "tempo mapping" the way i had intended... the way i had intended being, drop a marker on beat #1 of every measure and have the tempo of the song adjust accordingly with the dropping of the next one. i wish there was a video tutorial of this method somewhere! anyone familiar with such a thing?

EDIT: scrap all that, the step i was missing was incrementally filling in the measure info in the "identify beat" dialogue. explanation is in the video below \/

once I finish a song successfully, i'll try and post a new thread with a tutorial / screenshots. the workflow i have going now seems reasonably efficient, although a guru could probably find a way to do it with a few less clicks.