A short guide regarding tempo and tempo mapping

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
Hello everyone,
Over the last few days iv'e written a short guide that may hold value to band members, song-writers, producers and audio engineers alike regarding tempo and tempo mapping.
Any thought, comments, critique and observations would be very appreciated!

The Senseless approach to tempo

The guide itself is free, but will cost you 1 "like" to my studios page, which you may dislike at anytime if you will.
*edit: the link also contains download links to a full song multitrack for mixing practice and a dummy load build manual. further content will also be added in the future*

Cheers, Shay

haha haven't noticed how much this post looks like spam.
Haven't posted here in a while but been an active member for ages :)

Dude, that kind of defeats the purpose of a discussion forum... If you've been a member for years, I guess you've gathered a lot of knowledge here without paying a single "like"...

Dude, that kind of defeats the purpose of a discussion forum... If you've been a member for years, I guess you've gathered a lot of knowledge here without paying a single "like"...

You are aware that forum members also use the forum to promote guides that they are selling, right? does that also defeat the purpose of the forum? does that mean that if i had sold this guide (which i have considered) it would have made it totally fine?

Don't get me wrong, this forum has accompanied me all the way from recording myself playing guitar through a POD all the way to working full time as an AE, and i am grateful for this forum and it's members, but:
1. This guide wasn't written exclusively for the Sneap forum.

2. This thread might be misleading as this was the first content iv'e uploaded out of many. By now there's also a full multitrack of a song i recorded and a manual on how to build dummy loads attached to the link and with time i will add more and more content, adding that miserable "like" button you have to click more value over time, i should have maybe written that in advance to reduce drama levels.

3. One thing that every self-employed will tell you is that working for free is BAD. It's bad for you as you aren't getting bad, it's bad for whoever you're working for and it will ultimately results in bad results which makes everyone unhappy. if the people you're working for didn't care enough to pay for your services, they will also not care enough about the end-product to be happy about it. Notice no reply (good or bad) about the content of this guide was made but complains regarding it's distribution. Had i been selling it, even for 5$, the people who care enough to pay for the knowledge being offered to them would have also cared enough to express their opinion on what they paid for, and yet i didn't want to sell it, why?

Although i find the subject covered in this guide equivalent in it's effect on a production to any aspect of mixing or recording, the whole guide is only 13 pages long. At this point i don't think i will take the time to write a full, comprehensive, 100+ page guide that i would feel comfortable making real money from.
The other reason for the "awkward" pricing is that about 99% of everyone involved in this industry seems to not even be aware of tempo mapping.
From the smallest scale of project, to a project i took part in recording recently for Sony, to a session i had TODAY for a singer whos on "The voice of Germany", no one seems to have a F#@!ing clue what tempo mapping is.
Today was just another example of a band coming in, asking for a click track at a certain BPM, than realizing it's killing their song and doing the rest of the sessions without it.

I'm sure you're tired of reading so to sum up, if you don't care enough about your professional education to give 1 miserable "like" on FB to expand your horizons, simply don't do it. your loss.

Cheers, Shay.