Dan's strange comment about Arjen Lucassen and Devin Townsend

Eyesore said:
Let's also not forget that Dan wrote no music on Godsend's "A Wayfarers' Tears" album. Speaking of which, does anyone have the other Godsend album Dan worked on? I know they put out three, one of which Dan was not on. What are those albums like, if you've heard them?

The first one was "As The Shadows Fall" and I like it a little more than Wayfarers. I'd say more people prefer Wayfarers, though. Shadows is a bit slower and darker overall, I'd say, but similar. Seems to me if you like one you'd like the other.

Well, it wasn't until 1998 that Devin decided not to sing on others' albums. He did sing on the Soilwork disc which he produced. He did sing on a Rush tribute album. He did sing on James Murphy's first solo album. He produced Lamb of God. He worked with Zimmer's Hole.

After 1998, however, he decided to sing his OWN music only.

By the way Devin is god. As is Dan. Neither of them are better than each other, they're just different.

personally I don't understand the fuzz over Devin...
But that's probably because his music doesn't "do it" for me.
Don't know why...
It's like I should like it... it has all the elements needed...I just don't like his music...

I see Devin as overrated...
but hey, I see everything as overrated that I personally don't like...

Well Devin is producing Darkest Hour now. Let's see if he will do anything with that. Actually I am more wondering about if he can bring Darkest Hour to the next level like he did with Soilwork.

JESUSATAN said:
All Devin did was help bring Soilwork to the next level towards copying N'FLAMZ and becoming totally shitty.

Except Natural Born Chaos fucking rocked.

Figure Number Five was good, but it had that one Linkin' Park sounding song that made me want to vomit. It really broke the mood on that album, especially since it's right in the middle of the damn CD. I'll be listening to it in my car and be like UGH!!! *fidgeting with radio*

But Soilwork = In Flames? Sorry, bro. Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos are 1) very good albums and 2) don't sound all that much like In Flames. Especially not In Flames' newer stuff. You could extend the criticism that the sound In Flames played is a much broader style; you can make the accusation in that case to other bands, such as Dark Tranquility and even Naglfar (Vittra sounds like a cross between old DT and old In Flames, imo, but darker). So whatever. I think what you're saying isn't really relevant, and also not very nice (and mean people suck).

I rarely check who worked on what, I really don't give a shit, so long as it sounds good (I pay attention to Dan's stuff because I think it's exceptional). If Mr.Devin person worked on Natural Born Chaos, then he did some good for metal. I don't see why some of us have to be cocks about it because he's an eccentric guy. Or Dan for that matter.

deliverance said:
old in flames, old soilwork ---> incredible.

new in flames, new soilwork ---> sucks massive amounts of horse penis.

So long as you mean the NEWEST soilwork album, I can understand. :) But I vehemently disagree with anyone who thinks Natural Born Chaos was not a good album, as it's my favorite Soilwork album (Song of the Damned is like, their best song).

And I guess with In Flames... I dunno. I was not totally crazy about Jester Race; Whoracle was always my favorite. I wish they had taken their sound more in that direction, but mind you, that band tried not to play with the same sound on every album. Their last two albums are really lackluster, but it kind of sucks when you have a great band that has kind of a repetitive style (I love Slayer, for example, but the fact is they played the same kind of music forever; you could point to Hypocrisy to a certain degree on that count).

I like both the new Soilwork and the latest In Flames albums! Sure, nothing like the old stuff, but it doesn't mean the songs aren't good! To me, they're both pretty damn good albums!